HOW TO: Install TRZ DogBone Rear MotorMount

Bear in mind I've probably got 80 - 100 lbs on DaleNixon... That might make a difference in our respective sensations...

we've got over 40 transmission mounts out there so far, not one of them has failed. we have over 400 rear mounts out there, not one of them has failed. not to brag (ok, i'm bragging) but no other mount manufacturer has this success to failure ratio when it comes to either the rear or side mount for these cars.

Thanks Abilor and DN. It seems like I just need to wait for it to break-in.

Heh, its actually raining in LA right now so its relatively "cold".

THis is a great write up and general info thread. Thanks for taking the time to write this up with pics and all. I've just bought a used mount and, dispite the cold weather, may pull into my girlfriends garage on a warmish day and install mine next week.

ok im about 500 miles in with the mount now and i think it's fully broken in
i dont notice the vibes at all, hell my wife didnt even notice anything diff
when sitting in my car. i didn't know the tranny bolt was supposed to be tightened first. i did the frame first, then tranny. i dont think it matters really.

So you're saying there wasn't that much vibes to start with even right after installing the mount?

ok im about 500 miles in with the mount now and i think it's fully broken in
i dont notice the vibes at all, hell my wife didnt even notice anything diff
when sitting in my car. i didn't know the tranny bolt was supposed to be tightened first. i did the frame first, then tranny. i dont think it matters really.

So you're saying there wasn't that much vibes to start with even right after installing the mount?

there was a little @ start up, and when taking off from 1st roughly around the 2-3k rpm area, but it wasn't bad at all. with the a/c on you can feel it.
right now i don't notice it anymore so i think it's a combination of a broken in mount, and me being used to it. now to put it into perspective, i read all these reviews saying it vibes like crazy etc... so when i put it on, i was like...that's it? those are the vibes that to others feel like it's gonna tear the car apart? rofl so that was part of it also. the minimal vibes i felt were heavily outweighed by the improvement in drivability.

I guess I should double check my install then because I'm one of those people that feel like its going to tear my car apart.

Thanks for the reply Stage.

I'm really wondering if you did end up with the race bushings. And of course, if all else fails and you're really neurotic, reinstall?

Well, good news. Its been roughly 250 miles and 4 days since the install and it doesn't vibe as hard as when I first installed it. Still noticeable, but much more bearable now.

Also, wheel hop is dramatically reduced, clutch engagement and just simple 1st to 2nd shifting is much much smoother. For now, I give it a 9/10. 1 point deduction for the vibes, but hopefully that will go away in due time. At that point, 10/10, one of the must haves for any Speed3.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!!

Been gone for a little while...last visit was Nov 24!! ><

Glad to see you all able to use our How To!! O.O I see that the side mounts are available!?!?!?!! Gotta check that out!!! =)

I've got the delrin mount just to reiterate, and it vibes a good deal in the cold. After its warmed up a bit though, the vibes aren't as noticable. Either way, I'm a happy speeder!!! (Speed3 owner that is) lol

Just finished the install. Removal of old mount was a piece of cake. I had a little more difficulty getting the TRZ in, though. I probably should have jacked the car up a little higher.

My first impression: Yep, I feel the 1st gear engagement vibrations. It's not too awful bad but it's there. I'm sure it will get better over time. Keep in mind, my car only has 600 miles on it. But, no more wandering around for the 3rd gear gate!!!!!!!(cool)

Nice work TRZ. I can't imagine having to live with the 3rd gear hunt forever.

well i just installed mine. i was a piece of cake to install. i did run into a problem though. when tightening the bolt that mounts to the engine/tranny, it was harder to tighten than the one that goes to the frame. i thought it was because the holes didn't line up perfectly and the engine and was putting pressure on the bolt. well basically i crossthreaded the nut since there's about an 1/8" gap between the bolt head and the mount. how much added vibration it this going to add? would adding a washer be an easy fix or am i fubared and need to get a new mount?

it was peice of cake

i took it over to my dads shop put it on the lift used air tool was done in about 30 secs lol care feels stronger however i do have the delrin mount and do notice the vibs

F00k I guess I'll get the TRZ 2 mount package. Ken, do you think a passenger mount is necessary as well or is that only for drag racers?

What about accounts I've read of people's passenger side mounts exploding fluid all over the engine bay and giving up the ghost? Exaggeration? It doesn't seem like a common thing.

What about accounts I've read of people's passenger side mounts exploding fluid all over the engine bay and giving up the ghost? Exaggeration? It doesn't seem like a common thing.

oh yeah I have heard about this. It usually happens after their headlight fluid runs out (lol2)

Just givin ya a hard time dale

Back