2017~2024 How to improve the CX-5 driving feel?

cornering is my biggest concern with the CX5. I upgrade my wheel to a 19x8.5 and 245-sized tire and somehow turning feels worse. Passengers including me feel like thrown around when I turn at the light or turn in general.

And yes I'm comparing the Cx5 to my 2022 Audi Q5. that car turns much better. just wanting to see if there anything i can do to make cornering feel better.

The 245/50s you installed have the same height sidewalls as the OEM tires, so you did not do anything there to improve sidewall stiffness (that would sharpen turn-in). Every Michelin I have ever had had softer sidewalls than other tires in their class to get a comfortable ride, even my Pilot Super Sports.

What tire pressure are you running? I usually add 3+ psi more to account for the softer sidewalls. The OEM tires on my GT had better turn-in than the Michelin's I put on next.

To improve turn-in you need stiffer sidewalls. That is easier with 20" wheels.

Still, the tire has the absolute control over feel and response. So, you need to look at high performance all-season tires, and Tire Rack is a good place to get data.

One thing I noticed is that your rims are much too wide for the 245/50s you are running. A Dunlop engineer told me best steering response came when the rim width was 90% to 95% of the tread width. Some 245/50s I looked at are best run on 7" wheels, all were safe on 7" wheels and those were best on 7.5 wheels. Stretching tires is not a good idea (tires are designed to have an "S" shaped sidewall and have buttresses inside for that shape) and should cause the imprecision you describe.

Last edited:
Back