2017~2024 How to improve the CX-5 driving feel?

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
Does anyone know how to improve the driving feel of cx5?
I know for turning I can install a rear sway bar but I have a 2021 signature AWD I can't find any sway bar for it.
I found some strut bar on some websites but what does it do?
what else can I install (easy and not very costly) to improve the handling of the car?

If the CX-5 isn't doing it for you, it may require a switch to another car. Mazda is known for driving dynamics in comparison to others in its class, but I suspect you may find an SUV such as the SQ5, X3M, or Macan more to your liking (obviously at a quite a premium). I don't think there is a lot of aftermarket support for upgrading a CX-5 suspension.

I think you may need to consider what specifically you want to improve, because each modification will alter different aspects of the car. If you do a google search for "rear sway bar" or "strut tower bar", you can see what each component is intended to do and how it may affect your car. Then you can decide if you want to install that part. For example, aftermarket rear sway bars are typically a thicker diameter or are solid instead of hollow - this makes them more resistant to twisting and flexing in a turn, leading to reduced body roll. This reduced body roll also makes turn in feel more abrupt for you and your passengers, so if you are doing some hard cornering, they may feel like they are being thrown around in the car a bit more as a result. This is part of the reason bucket seats are used in most sports cars.

Just keep in mind that usually, "tightening up" your suspension will make the car stiffer and more communicative, but as a result, it will not be as comfortable. The OEM suspension components are designed to offer a balance of comfort and control, and Mazda (most of the time) uses the parts they do because they offer just enough flexibility to maintain that sportyish feel while still being comfortable to ride in.

better tires are always a plus
Probably the best bang for the buck overall for “feel”. If you don’t need them then there is no reason to choose “all season” tires, for example “regular” Pilot Sport 4s etc. will give improved steering feel over the all seasons and work great in rain.

I think you may need to consider what specifically you want to improve, because each modification will alter different aspects of the car. If you do a google search for "rear sway bar" or "strut tower bar", you can see what each component is intended to do and how it may affect your car. Then you can decide if you want to install that part. For example, aftermarket rear sway bars are typically a thicker diameter or are solid instead of hollow - this makes them more resistant to twisting and flexing in a turn, leading to reduced body roll. This reduced body roll also makes turn in feel more abrupt for you and your passengers, so if you are doing some hard cornering, they may feel like they are being thrown around in the car a bit more as a result. This is part of the reason bucket seats are used in most sports cars.

Just keep in mind that usually, "tightening up" your suspension will make the car stiffer and more communicative, but as a result, it will not be as comfortable. The OEM suspension components are designed to offer a balance of comfort and control, and Mazda (most of the time) uses the parts they do because they offer just enough flexibility to maintain that sportyish feel while still being comfortable to ride in.
cornering is my biggest concern with the CX5. I upgrade my wheel to a 19x8.5 and 245-sized tire and somehow turning feels worse. Passengers including me feel like thrown around when I turn at the light or turn in general.

If the CX-5 isn't doing it for you, it may require a switch to another car. Mazda is known for driving dynamics in comparison to others in its class, but I suspect you may find an SUV such as the SQ5, X3M, or Macan more to your liking (obviously at a quite a premium). I don't think there is a lot of aftermarket support for upgrading a CX-5 suspension.
And yes I'm comparing the Cx5 to my 2022 Audi Q5. that car turns much better. just wanting to see if there anything i can do to make cornering feel better.

I upgrade my wheel to a 19x8.5 and 245-sized tire and somehow turning feels worse.…

Tire size is less important that tire construction and quality, so what you say makes perfect sense. Many folks don’t understand this, but a narrower tire can feel MUCH better than a wider tire depending on the tire construction. The correct wider tire can feel much better in terms of sensitivity, turn-in and total grip.

Exactly what tire did you install on you new wheels?

Tire size is less important that tire construction and quality, so what you say makes perfect sense. Many folks don’t understand this, but a narrower tire can feel MUCH better than a wider tire depending on the tire construction. The correct wider tire can feel much better in terms of sensitivity, turn-in and total grip.

Exactly what tire did you install on you new wheels?
The wheels I put on are 19x8.5 offset 40

I had 4 sets of tires on my CX5 already.
Michelin pilot sport all season 3 plus 235/55 ZR 19 (was installed on day 2 of owning the car with the stock rim. This was leftover from my other car. had it on for a week feel like it touched my fender so I changed it)

Michelin pilot sport all season 4 (was installed on the 8th day of owning the car. size 245/50/19 it feels like riding on jello!!! so I install the DR80 rims and solve the problem. In total I put about 21000ish miles on those )

Michelin pilot sport all season 4 (Fresh sets were put on at 25k mile service once again. The prior set felt degreed while driving in the rain; felt some hydroplaning going about 80mph in rain. In total I put about 18000ish miles on those)

Michelin crossclimate 2 sizes 245/50/19 (This is what I had on right now. I went from PS AS4 to check out these new tires. The biggest complaint I had with these tires is how bumpy they are. you can feel any road imperfection! had it on for about 10500 miles now.)

Crossclimate 2 still holding it very strong but if you know something good let me know I might consider it once I feel crossclimate 2 is degreed. I've always been a fan of Michelin, and I'm not sure if I should try out DSW06+

The Q5 came with CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT I didn't like it, within the week of owning the car, I switched to the Michelin pilot sport all season 4. I had to say OE conti is much quiet than AS4.

I heard lots of good things about the Michelin pilot sport4 not all season the summer tire. but they don't have it in size 245/50/19 and where I live during the winter does get down to 27+-F degrees I don't want to worry about taking off and putting on another set. just want to get up in the morning and hit the road lol.

I would consider trying the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I have heard really good things about that tire. I will likely be going to that one when my OEM's need replacing.

Michelin Pilot 4 SUV...but it is a summer tire.
or if you insist on another Michelin A/S check the Primacy Tour A/S.

honestly, I do not think it's tire issue.
because the Michelin CC2 sidewall is stiff it should corner ok.
just want to make the turn better so the kids and passengers feel thrown around inside the car.

no phun intended but you changed the stock wheel size and tires to something totally different. Dont you think thay may be plays a role as well?
And tires do play a role always on top of everything else.

There are lots of suspension available for the CX5... I believe Hardrace has a KF chassis rear sway bar, AutoExe and others.

Although you may need billet brackets for it, I haven't inquired to see what it comes with as I already have a (discountinued) CS sway bar.

I'd start with a performance oriented tire (some kind of "UHP" (ultra high performance), and a wider wheel of at least 8.5 inches. 18" or 20" have a plethora of tires available so you won't be stuck buying overrated/overpriced wheels.
Those are more expensive than just replacing the sway bar though. So for something less $$$ but noticable change would be a set of lowering springs. H&R for a more compliant ride which work well with stock dampers. Springs may cost 3-400 in parts.

Personally, I'm wouldn't add a sway bar before I lowered the vehicle or at least got a wider wheel as your rear will outdrive the tires and trip stability control limiting the effect you hoped to achieve by adding the RSB lol.

I would consider trying the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. I have heard really good things about that tire. I will likely be going to that one when my OEM's need replacing.
I too was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's that wore out way too soon. I was looking at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad, that he returned them to COSTCO. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.

I too was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's that wore out way too soon. I was looking at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad, that he returned them to COSTCO. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.

I'm not surprised. The CC2 tread design is closer to an all terrain than a road tire.

Also, Costco is one of the most hassle free places to buy from.

Last edited:
Michelin Cross Climate 2
cl6l27ljk05x001nshtdqpys3-cc2.png

Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3
71yP4pq1axL.jpg

Back