How To: headlight black out for P5!

so i dont have to take the grill off separate? it will just come off w/ the bumper?

all i got off now is:

2 screws inside driver wheel well, 3 inside passenger wheel well, and the 6 holding the splash guards : 3 each side.

:(

so i dont have to take the grill off separate? it will just come off w/ the bumper?

No, you will have to remove the grill first. Sorry, thought you had done this already. Grill is simple - two bolts, then pull out the plastic screws (using a flathead) then pull up at an angle.

okie. then are there screws under the grill? i got the two connecting the bumper to the undercarraige as well

Remove all the fender lining 2 screws behind the headlights and 2 underneath that I remember. Be careful you don't break the little taps off the bumper under the headlights. Putting it back on is much easier with an extra set of hands!!

i got the 2 screw off the grill and the two plastic plugs, but there are still 2 lil arrow looking things holding it on....how do i remove those? it doesnt look like they wil make it through the holes, they are flared on the end

Remove all the fender lining 2 screws behind the headlights and 2 underneath that I remember. Be careful you don't break the little taps off the bumper under the headlights. Putting it back on is much easier with an extra set of hands!!

i dont see anything behind the headlights, does the grill have to be off first?

july4th0779vg.jpg

grill came off as one w/ the bumper...

No screws under the grill. Just remove the others I mentioned and set the bumper to the side....don't forget the wiring for the fogs unless you disconnected them.

Once the bumper is off you will see the three bolts holding the lights on. But before removing the lights, remove the black plastics pieces (two bolts) at the bottom of the light. It is much easier to remove the lights with these out of your way.

alright i found them and got the bumper off....now what clips do i need to be careful w/

If the bumper is off and you didn't hear any 'breaking sounds' then no need to worry about the clips. They were either broken (as one of mine was) or popped out when you loosened the screws.

Good News: Everything is back on my car that I took off

Bad News: Lights aren't painted b/c i couldnt get the plastic off even after heating 3 times in oven. i got it pryed a lil but wouldnt come off and i have somewhere to be at 630 so i had to put everything back on. hopefully i can try again next week :(

Other good news: so i didnt completely waste my day, i moved my ballasts so they arent in the engine bay anymore. also all the nuts and screws are gone, so everything i took off found it's way back on.

Attachments

• DSC01298.jpg
    DSC01298.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC01297.jpg
    DSC01297.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Nice, that is where I have my ballasts. Headlights look great also.

yeap it does :( i'll try again next week. i just got some catz in too i just need to find out which wire is the postive driving light wire...so i am tryin to figure that out.

anyone have a wiring diagram of the lighting system. need to know which is positive parking light wire

Did this Mod yesterday.

Changed a few things here and there, improvised a bit, but it all went quite smoothly.

We didn't sand at all. Also didn't use Hi-Temp paint. Might seem like a bad idea, but my friend that helped me did this to his Volkswagen VR6 over a year, and hasn't has any issues. But yeah.... it looks great.

Back