How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

I imagine if you give Impec Japan the Mazda part number according to MY and color listed above, they'll get them in Japan and ship them over. The saving is on shipping from Impec Japan somehow they found a way to ship parts internationally cheaper and faster!

You type the part number in, you really can't browse the site very well. Also, use chrome or something that does translate, as for some reason it likes to switch to a different language often.

I tried typing your part number in, and it didn't find anything. Looks like any 2016 headrest doesn't show up. But all the 2015 stuff does. You could try to create an account, than use their crappy web page to msg them to see if they can get it.

Last edited:
You type the part number in, you really can't browse the site very well. Also, use chrome or something that does translate, as for some reason it likes to switch to a different language often.

I tried typing your part number in, and it didn't find anything. Looks like any 2016 headrest doesn't show up. But all the 2015 stuff does. You could try to create an account, than use their crappy web page to msg them to see if they can get it.
Thanks for finding another site to get JDM headrests cheaper and faster although it may be a bit challenging. It'd be nice if we know how to read and enter Japanese characters.

To tibimakai, if you use part number:

2013~2015: KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching

You'll get correct black cloth JDM headrests with black stitching matching your rear center headrest. Your price should be substantially cheaper than $87 with cloth material. I went back and checked the pictures provided by Fendyman, the 2014 Touring's black cloth does come with black stitching, not red stitching I had thought earlier. Not sure the difference between these two then, could be just different materials:

2013~2015:
KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching

2016~?:
K070-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching

Just typed in "KD49-88-240 02" for 2014 Touring black cloth JDM headrest at Impec Japan website and came up with the item and price for $36.85 USD each (you need two). Japanese Yen is getting more expensive recently and you should consider getting them soon.

It does seem Impec Japan doesn't have part numbers for Mazda 2016 MY in their website database. Some sort of communications with them are required to get those parts.

It's be discussed earlier that you can get any kind of rear-seat JDM headrests from Japanparts.com. Here are some older posts with popular JDM headrests and part numbers. Going through Japanparts.com apparently is easier now as they list the items on their website instead of email inquiring. I'm happy to see people can get these JDM headrests a lot cheaper than earlier situation, and hope people are enjoying unblocked view from rearview mirror and easy rear-seatback folding.

Why don't you email them and correct the ordering error you made? Their email response and service are excellent.

Thanks yrwei52, fendyman and others who provided valuable information on these headrests! Mine arrived from Japanparts recently and I am enjoying having an unobstructed view in my rearview mirror :). And as an added bonus, that new car smell is back in my car :-D

Thanks yrwei52, fendyman and others who provided valuable information on these headrests! Mine arrived from Japanparts recently and I am enjoying having an unobstructed view in my rearview mirror :). And as an added bonus, that new car smell is back in my car :-D
Glad you're enjoying the JDM headrests. The feeling of joy having the unblocked rear view, and easy-to-fold seat backs with the headrests on, is only being known by those who have the JDM headrests. :)

Enjoying mine since Monday! Japanparts.com [emoji1417]
6469370218f1fd06cd6017e5adba279c.jpg

Thank you everyone for the details and research provided! Last week when I checked, the Impex store wasn't listing the 2016 head rests, but as of today they were showing up in the search. I just ordered 2 x part # K072-88-240 02 for $95 (I think I'll get a separate invoice for the shipping later?). Will update when they arrive.

Last edited:
Those of you with Japanparts email address should email them and point out if they started offering the headrests on USA Ebay or on Amazon, they would sell a ton. The average guy out there doesn't know this is an option.

Thank you everyone for the details and research provided! Last week when I checked, the Impex store wasn't listing the 2016 head rests, but as of today they were showing up in the search. I just ordered 2 x part # K072-88-240 02 for $95 (I think I'll get a separate invoice for the shipping later?). Will update when they arrive.

It seems like, we will have to pay separate for shipping.
They had only one is stock for my 2014(black cloth) and on 6/16 they will have the second.
Then I can pay for shipping. Kind of confusing, if you ask me.

It seems like, we will have to pay separate for shipping.
They had only one is stock for my 2014(black cloth) and on 6/16 they will have the second.
Then I can pay for shipping. Kind of confusing, if you ask me.

I just checked my order and it was suspended for delay of shipment until 6/30/16. I guess I don't mind waiting, it's still almost $70 cheaper than japanparts was going to be. But I did not receive an email about this, and I would not have seen it if I didn't log in to their site to check, so that is a bit worrisome!

Now the Impex site is saying that I have a shipment, but it's only one headrest and shipping will be $22 USD. I don't see an option to wait and pay for both of them to ship as one package. This means in the end I will maybe only save $30 over JapanParts, but the hassle doesn't seem to be worth it!

Enjoying mine since Monday! Japanparts.com [emoji1417]
6469370218f1fd06cd6017e5adba279c.jpg
Just noticed you got wrong JDM headrests as they have red stitching but your originals have black stitching. Your CX-5 should be a 2016 and black leather headrest has black stitching and red stitching is on 2015 and prior. See the part list in post #511 I posted above. Did you do this on purpose or the seller sent you the wrong headrests? The part number is different and older red stitching black leather JDM headrest is cheaper.

Now the Impex site is saying that I have a shipment, but it's only one headrest and shipping will be $22 USD. I don't see an option to wait and pay for both of them to ship as one package. This means in the end I will maybe only save $30 over JapanParts, but the hassle doesn't seem to be worth it!
JapanParts.com has been good on email responses but their price is higher selling everything at list price and the shipping charge is outrageous. Impex Japan is a much smaller online seller in Japan and seems just started to get into the US market. They apparently don't have enough personnel with good English background to reply emails from us. Yeah we really wish Impex Japan could at least keep up good email communication with US customers, and let us be able to save shipping with combined shipment with longer wait time if some of the parts are in back-order. Keep in mind that none of these Japanese sellers keeps any inventory and they only serve as a middleman. And these rear-seat headrests are not in demand at all in other countries and even local Mazda dealers won't stock them. The Mazda dealer in Taiwan where I bought mine from started was having only one in stock in the entire region. They had to special order the second one from Mazda in Japan and it took about 20 days. If you want them, go get them soon especially if the headrest version is not in current production as I imagine the stock of these JDM headrests will soon be depleted even from Mazda in Japan.

tibimakai, can you have two-way communication with their messaging system when you logged in at Impex Japan website?

Last edited:
JapanPaets.com has been good on email responses but their price is higher selling everything at list price and the shipping charge is outrageous. Impex Japan is a much smaller online seller in Japan and seems just started to get into the US market. They apparently don't have enough personnel with good English background too reply emails from us. Yeah we really wish Impex Japan could at least keep up good email communication with US customers, and let us be able to save shipping with combined shipment with longer wait time if some of the parts are in back-order.

Good info, thanks. I'm just sharing my experience so that someone who comes across this forum searching for the same thing I was searching for can make an informed decision.

And it gets worse! Impex is really irritating me now.

"Shipping Department / Extra payment for shipment No.XXXX
We have prepared your order(s) for shipment. Note that total weight of the parcel increased to 1.020 kg. The shipment charge increased accordingly.
We will proceed with shipment only after you effect a repayment."

Great, they want more money.

That's just for the first headrest. In the end, I may actually end up saving very little or no money, but the customer service side of Impex is really not doing it for me. I already paid a shipping charge. This is a bit ridiculous. And I did have to use my email to sign up for their site, so I still don't understand why they won't send these messages in an email. I wouldn't even see this stuff if I wasn't watching my order page like a hawk. I had a bad feeling up front when I had to pay for the items first. Most businesses won't charge for an item until it is ready to ship, right? Overall, I'm wishing I went with Japan parts instead of trying to save some money.

I realized when I put them on that they did not match the middle headrest although the seats do have red stitching so I'm ok with it.

Back