High-Performance GMs put on indefinite hold (SS's and such)

This has been the way all the American car companies have gone. Ford left SVT by the way side too, cuts had to be made I guess to keep them a float, barely. It's too bad but I don't really have any sympathy for any of them, it's their own mistakes and screw ups that got them to where they are now...

I doubt they could make a production vette thats much better than the one now without giving it AWD, and AWD, well thats just not AMURICAN!

they canibalize the engineers and dev teams that make cars people BUY so they can go work on cars like Buicks! I knew GM was in trouble when they decided to limp their then successfull Saturn line to revamp Oldsmobile... it will never be a healthy company when the decision as to which models stay and which go isnt made by market demand but rather by union demands and politics within the Harvard/Yale dolts...

The vette is not affected as it isnt designed by the SS team and yes a AWD vette would be nice - main issue I have with the ZR1 is the 700 HP are useless at launch - hell my 400HP are useless at launch!!

Dare I say... with the exception of the corvette... who cares?

i hear what you're saying [or should be be 'i read what you're writing'] but i still think that MORE competition is good for the consumer. like it or nor, the Chevy Cobalt SS is a contender, and it has raised the bar [no-lift shift, priced right, great performance...].

1 less competitor outta the way means Mazda & the like don't have to try as hard. point in case, the 2010 MS3 is simply a redesigned BODY, nothing new in the powertrain dept, apparently. mebbe if car manufacturers were breathing down its neck, Mazda could've used the new 2.5 l engine, new revo-knuckle suspension pieces, dare i say AWD...

This has been the way all the American car companies have gone. Ford left SVT by the way side too, cuts had to be made I guess to keep them a float, barely. It's too bad but I don't really have any sympathy for any of them, it's their own mistakes and screw ups that got them to where they are now...

SVT is still afloat.
SVT_RAPTOR_sema.jpg

2010 SVT F-150 Raptor on sale this summer.

i hear what you're saying [or should be be 'i read what you're writing'] but i still think that MORE competition is good for the consumer. like it or nor, the Chevy Cobalt SS is a contender, and it has raised the bar [no-lift shift, priced right, great performance...].

1 less competitor outta the way means Mazda & the like don't have to try as hard. point in case, the 2010 MS3 is simply a redesigned BODY, nothing new in the powertrain dept, apparently. mebbe if car manufacturers were breathing down its neck, Mazda could've used the new 2.5 l engine, new revo-knuckle suspension pieces, dare i say AWD...

Yes I whole heartedly agree that competition is good for you and me. I don't however think if 2 of the big 3 american car companies fold it will mean the rest of the auto industry will suddenly stop competing. Which is why I hope to see GM and Chrysler bite the dudst. By bailing them out we are telling the CEOs its ok to run your company like s***, and we are furthering the unions, which just promote poor workers.

The issue is the same assholes will still be running these car companies, making the same bad descissions they have all along. Worse yet this allows the unions to continue on, which is half the problem here. We aren't fixing the problem, we are just putting a bandaid on it. Sooner or later the unions will get pushy again demanding more money, and the same poor biz practices that brought the automakers to theirs knees now, will strike again.

People don't seem to understand...WE ARE PROMOTING FAILURE!

At some point you have to stop, and let them fail, let them crash and burn. The unions have to be broken at some point or these issues will keep coming up. If we keep bailing them out things are not going to change.

If I wanted to see these companies live on, I would have purchased one of their cars. But I don't and now I'm being forced to give them my money anyway.

Like I said, competions is good. So give the money out in the form of government loans to start up new auto companies.

Dare I say... with the exception of the corvette... who cares? I honestly think the government should tell the car companies to go screw. I know, I know people will loose their jobs blah blah blah.

I don't want a single dime of my tax money going to bail out any company or its employees. It goes against our free market/ capatilist system.

Ontop of that I think letthing them fail woul be a wake up call to the american auto industry and the autoworkers union, which is half the problem. Once upon a time unions serverd a purpose. Now they are just as bad as the companies they were made to fight against. Every year the union in our shop asks for more money, more benefits. Yet for the past several years their performance has been getting worse and worse. If I performed the way some people in our union do i would be tossed on the street, but good luck firing a union guy who slacks off all day.

We now have things like minimum wage, and labor laws to protect employees. I say let the companies fail, break up the unions. If the government wants to give out loans, let them be for new start up companies, who build better cars and have union free shops.!

Flame me all you want i don't care!
No offense but, uh... I think this is sort of crazy talk. As usual, there is a lot more grey and less black and white in this situation.

It's not just that people will lose their jobs, but that lots of people will lose their jobs, and one of the biggest parts of the American economy will be dead and that's bad for many reasons. It's the only real manufacturing industry left in the US, and the support industries that exist for the automotive industry will tank as well. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru... no one wants this to happen, because when parts suppliers need to start closing factories, prices go up globally, and that means the automotive industry as a whole will suffer. Millions (literally) of jobs loss does not do a single shred of good for your country, and "funding startups to make new cars!" is a borderline ridiculous suggestion given the enormity of the two markets. Something like 1 in 10 startups fail, and you want to: push unemployment over 10%, tank the largest and basically only well established manufacturing industry left in America, and invest billions of tax payers dollars into startups? Really? Think about that, man.

I don't really want to go into your issues with unions, but you are way (way) oversimplifying the role they play in labour markets and labour relations. Suffice it to say that your discussions about "minimum wage" and "labour laws" are... uh, how shall we say, quaint? Minimum wage in the US is barely above poverty level income, your country has one of the largest wage gaps in the world, and the labour laws are generally ineffective and toothless in the way they are applied. It is gross naivety that leads anyone to suggest that they work as intended. They don't. Coupled with an absolutely crippled social safety net in the US and the last thing you want to do is start driving unemployment up higher. Investing in companies to keep them viable while they retool (notice Ford doesn't really need or want money, incidentally) to keep people working to keep them feeding their income back into the economy serves everyone, and its a social investment. This is actually a good thing. And it's not encouraging failure, it's giving a s*** about the millions of workers in auto factories, parts factories and their support industries.

All that said, I'm a little miffed that Chrysler wants money, and are getting it. I can't see them ever being financially viable again unless something major changes in the automarkets in the next 5 years in the same way that a huge spike in SUV sales or the minivan heyeday of the late 80's manages to revive them. That's just throwing good money after bad.

If you want to argue this more, PMs are probably preferable for everyone else...

Yes I am over simplifying things I know.

Yes I know minimum wage and labor laws are not what they should be. That is a seperate issue. Why people don't push the government to fix this I don't understand.

My views on unions are from what I have experienced first hand. I think they are a thing of the past and should be done away with. Most places where they exist they are no longer needed. Please notice I said MOST. It has also gotten to the point where some unions are as bloated and full of s*** as big companies they are designed to stand up against. That helps no one.

I know letting them fail is a huge hit to our economy. But promoting failure is only going to come back and bite us all in the ass later.

My over simplification comes down to this. I don't see the current US auto industry , run the way it is, with the auto unions as demanding as they are, being a viable plan for the future. Its a big ugly problem, and their is no simple solution to it. No matter how you cut it, someone is probably going to get screwed. Which seems to be the underlying problem. No one wants to get screwed, and I don't blame them. But at what point do we stop promoting a flawed system, and make the appropriate changes?

I don't feel like throwing money at it is thr right answer. And that is exactly what we are doing.

P.S. I hate it when canadians tell me whats wrong with my country. I know. I live here! :D

"Muniga went on to say that there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming plans"

Think he's referring to the new camaro SS?

We are facing a new reality here with these industries. Unfortunately, chrysler is in court, GM is looking likely to within the next 30 days, and Ford, even though they didn't want any money so far, they will run out of cash FAR sooner than everyone thinks. They are heading into a financial brick wall this winter.

We are facing a new reality here with these industries. Unfortunately, chrysler is in court, GM is looking likely to within the next 30 days, and Ford, even though they didn't want any money so far, they will run out of cash FAR sooner than everyone thinks. They are heading into a financial brick wall this winter.

If toyota and honda continue to not offer agressive rebates then ford will onyl continue to grow while those 2 shrink.
Many people that are "american" only buys dont trust Gm or Chysler right now so they have one avenue left.
And cars like the fusion are taking a ton of market from camry and accord since like I said above they are offering crap for incentives. Since people dont have the extra money to buy the honda or toyota reputation right now, Ford is in a hell of a good position.
All they have to do is not screw it up.

The Cruze has a much nicer interior than the Cobalt. Shame we won't see an SS version of it any time soon, if ever.

Back