High-Performance GMs put on indefinite hold (SS's and such)

Sport6

:
2009 Subaru WRX Sedan
Coinciding with the release of General Motors' Viability Plan, the automaker has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations team, the crew responsible for the line V-series Cadillacs, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and the V8 version of the Colorado. According to Vince Muniga, a spokesman for the General, "All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold. The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs." Muniga went on to say that there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming plans, but once (if?) GM is in a better financial position, the team could be reinstated.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/breaking-gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations/

Gives some time for the Mazdaspeed team to catch up to the new Cobalt SS...if they haven't already for their '10 edition of the MS3. I'm anxious to see what's unveiled next month in Geneva.

Gives some time for the Mazdaspeed team to catch up to the new Cobalt SS...if they haven't already for their '10 edition of the MS3. I'm anxious to see what's unveiled next month in Geneva.

Depending one what you read the Cobalt SS isn't head and shoulders above even the current MS3. I'm not going to dispute that it doesn't handle a tad better but otherwise it's a rental car with boost IMO. I'd buy a GTI, WRX, or Civic SI over it anyday.

Depending one what you read the Cobalt SS isn't head and shoulders above even the current MS3. I'm not going to dispute that it doesn't handle a tad better but otherwise it's a rental car with boost IMO. I'd buy a GTI, WRX, or Civic SI over it anyday.

I agree with your conclusion. The Cobalt SS is coming out on top in a lot of performance reviews, but it's also lighter (at least the coupe, don't know about the sedan), and has that no-lift shifting when WOT. The 'Ring time, 8:22, is very impressive. I just wish the MS3 was given a similar go at the 'Ring with a more experienced driver and a clear track because I'm kind of sick about hearing that the SS (coupe!!) is "17 seconds" faster than the MS3.

I got to sit in one of those Cobalts at the DC autoshow and I thought it was pretty decent. It may have the rental car stigma, but the performance is undeniable and the feel of the clutch pedal and bucket seats are nice. Remember, a lot of people snob at the MS3 because its interior isn't as refined as the GTi.

Anyway, I don't mean to thread-jack!

The MS3 interior is pretty darn nice though. Better than the subie, Caliber, Lancer by far and in some opinions better than the GTI. I might be a little biased on the GTI interior but not just the GTI, it's really the whole german car layout. Newer Audis for example...man they're nice inside.

I don't think I'd take the Si over the Cobalt.

Now that the Obama admin is in charge of dictating what cars Detroit will build no one but Preis type driving Barney Weenies will ever buy them. They will go right down the toilet like the Obama admin.(omg)

I had also concidered the Cobalt SS but the interior was Cheesy. I could not get past that even to take one for a ride. I like a hatch anyway.

Look, no matter what cars evolve into we will always have access to high performance cars, gas powered, hybrid or electric. (This has nothing to do with the Obama admin.) they're just the first catalyst as to where this has to go. Look at the Tesla. Yes it's way to expensive right now but that's only because it's not being mass produced. Eventually gas will be obsolete and we will move on to the next phase of the car evolution. Enjoy what you have now, gas powered performance cars won't last forever... (drive)

I had also considered the Cobalt SS but the interior was Cheesy.
I agree with you. I test drove a Cobalt SS before buying the MS3. The feeling it gave me was,' this car has power,handles nice, but the interior is LOW RENT'. I could see this Cobalt SS starting to come apart in the 1st year of ownership.

Either way you look at it, sucks for this segment of the auto industry as a whole. If the cobalt hadnt stepped up their game with the new TCSS then we wouldnt have any reason to improve on the MS3's dominating the current line-up. Its all about competition people, how long do you think Mazda will keep offering the speed versions of the cars if everyone puts high performance cars on hold?

On a side note.... Does this mean that the production on the new Camaro will bw put on hold too? What about the Corvette? Makes you wonder what exactly GM considers "High-Performance"

On a side note.... Does this mean that the production on the new Camaro will bw put on hold too? What about the Corvette? Makes you wonder what exactly GM considers "High-Performance"
The Camaro is still a 'GO',but as far as a newer Corvette, that's a 'MAYBE'.

Does this mean that GM will stop all production on these or just not redesign/change the current models?

Does this mean that GM will stop all production on these or just not redesign/change the current models?

im guessing they just mean no redesign because they said they "All high-performance projects" are put on hold in so the engineers can focus somewhere else. but i could be wrong

I can't imagine GM not offering another Corvette - it's an American icon! Maybe the next redesign will take a little longer as they try to stretch the current design for as long as possible while they stave off bankruptcy but bye-bye to Corvette? Not likely.

I don't believe the Corvette is part of this. Also it was announced that the Camaro SS isn't being affected and is still be released. As far as what happens to the others, they won't be updated. Once this production cycle ends that will be the end of the performance version of that car.

Dare I say... with the exception of the corvette... who cares? I honestly think the government should tell the car companies to go screw. I know, I know people will loose their jobs blah blah blah.

I don't want a single dime of my tax money going to bail out any company or its employees. It goes against our free market/ capatilist system.

Ontop of that I think letthing them fail woul be a wake up call to the american auto industry and the autoworkers union, which is half the problem. Once upon a time unions serverd a purpose. Now they are just as bad as the companies they were made to fight against. Every year the union in our shop asks for more money, more benefits. Yet for the past several years their performance has been getting worse and worse. If I performed the way some people in our union do i would be tossed on the street, but good luck firing a union guy who slacks off all day.

We now have things like minimum wage, and labor laws to protect employees. I say let the companies fail, break up the unions. If the government wants to give out loans, let them be for new start up companies, who build better cars and have union free shops.!

Flame me all you want i don't care!

im guessing they just mean no redesign because they said they "All high-performance projects" are put on hold in so the engineers can focus somewhere else. but i could be wrong

+1 on actually reading the statement.

Also, I don't think we'll be seeing anything past the Corevette ZR1 for a while. No special editions or any of that nonsense.

Back