H&R lowering springs

It can't be, that on that side the spring is not seated all the way on it's end stop in that cup?

It's seated properly. I took great pains with the install. The rear is not that difficult. Besides, if it were not properly seated, that side would sit a little higher which would make the camber go more positive.

Last edited:
I've been sifting through this thread and I'd like to pull the trigger on the H&R Springs, but there's a part of me that tells me "No, don't do it until after the warranty expires", and "If you go with lowering springs, you should do a spring and shock combo".

My previous car was an 06' impreza, and I lowered them with TEIN H-Tech springs. It was great for the first few years, then after that, you would hear rattles, clunks, and the quality of the ride was pretty bad. I could feel every nook and cranny on the floor. But, I took the car to a few auto x events so that probably didn't help lol.

How long do you guys estimate the H&R springs and stock shocks would last before they go out? I mean, this is from a city and highway daily driver. Still contemplating :p

I've been sifting through this thread and I'd like to pull the trigger on the H&R Springs, but there's a part of me that tells me "No, don't do it until after the warranty expires", and "If you go with lowering springs, you should do a spring and shock combo".

My previous car was an 06' impreza, and I lowered them with TEIN H-Tech springs. It was great for the first few years, then after that, you would hear rattles, clunks, and the quality of the ride was pretty bad. I could feel every nook and cranny on the floor. But, I took the car to a few auto x events so that probably didn't help lol.

How long do you guys estimate the H&R springs and stock shocks would last before they go out? I mean, this is from a city and highway daily driver. Still contemplating :p
I feel your pain J-Chow. I deliberated for over a year, pouring over every post on this forum looking for the downside of this mod before doing it. Part of me resents Mazda's decision to jack this sucker up so high (I know, I know, it's a crossover!) and then cutting the fender arches so that you can see all the hardware under them in those ungainly wheel wells. The only time the car ever looked right to me was when I had a passenger or two in the back seat and maybe a load of luggage in the boot. I've had H&Rs on for a week now and so far no real regrets. It does ride a bit firmer than stock, but then I'm looking for differences right now, so I'm never sure how accurate my perception is. There's certainly nothing radically different about the ride, so I would not expect it to shake anything loose in the car in the foreseeable future. As for shock wear, I don't have a crystal ball, but keep in mind this is not a radical drop. Only 1.5" on average, so it's not like you're ever going to run out of wheel travel and the dampers don't feel to me like they're being overpowered by the springs. But there's no way to say for certain if their life will be appreciably shortened. The one thing I can tell you for certain is that my CX-5 looks much better nestled down on its chassis without looking like some silly boy racer has slammed it. I guess I would describe the overall effect as more "Audi-ish", which for my money, ain't a bad thing!

If I'm correct a stock shock/strut's life is around 50-60k miles. With lowering springs that life is shortened, by how much I don't know. With a 1.5" drop, I don't think it will be dropped by much. You will just have to replace them around that mileage.

20k so far no issues, most people don't even know my car is lowered. ride is fine, little firmer, tire wear is even, maybe 10K left on them, yes oem.

I am actually looking towards to install some nicer struts when they go out, I'm giving the oem ones 5 years, 75k or so. my Audi ones went out at 80k, blown, my bmw ones held up better.

reg. warranty, unless you have suspension/steering related issues yes they will not cover it and might tell you your springs caused the issues. but if you do feel there is an suspension/steering related issue just reinstall original ones drive thru some mud and bring it in.

20k so far no issues, most people don't even know my car is lowered. ride is fine, little firmer, tire wear is even, maybe 10K left on them, yes oem.

I am actually looking towards to install some nicer struts when they go out, I'm giving the oem ones 5 years, 75k or so. my Audi ones went out at 80k, blown, my bmw ones held up better.

reg. warranty, unless you have suspension/steering related issues yes they will not cover it and might tell you your springs caused the issues. but if you do feel there is an suspension/steering related issue just reinstall original ones drive thru some mud and bring it in.

Interesting. Most that inquire about my car ask if it's lowered because they can see the less wheel gap. The next question is do I have 22;s Lol (no). Once guy asked if I had a v8 engine (mazda v8 lel).

Just purchased a set of H&R springs for mine. Will post pics once I get them installed. Considered corksport too but decided less drop and the excellent quality of H&R was the way to go. Running factory 19's right now but will probably sell them and upgrade to 20's soon.

Just purchased a set of H&R springs for mine. Will post pics once I get them installed. Considered corksport too but decided less drop and the excellent quality of H&R was the way to go. Running factory 19's right now but will probably sell them and upgrade to 20's soon.
How did you end up with 19s on a Touring?

How did you end up with 19s on a Touring?

I bought a set of brand new factory take off 19's. I have the original 17's with a 235/65R17 Hankook ATM dynapro all terrain tire for winter. I'm probably going to either paint/powdercoat the factory 19's black or most likely sell them and just buy a set of 20's with a 245/45R20 summer tire and run the 17's for winter only.

Just got the H&R Sport Springs installed and my initial impression is that there is a noticeable but not bad difference in ride quality. It is definitely firmer than stock, but it still rides smoother than my 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 with stock springs did.

Handling even with the 17's on it at the moment is very much improved. Alignment was a snap and there was very little change in camber. I know the springs may settle a little in the next few days but camber is in spec right now on all four corners so I think any settling will have a very negligible impact on tire wear.

I will post some pictures once I get the 19's refinished and on the CX5. I have to say visually the drop is perfect, gives it a nice hunkered down look without looking too low.

vanwyk4257 - Looking forward to seeing the H&R springs lowered CX-5 on 19's.

Just got the H&R Sport Springs installed and my initial impression is that there is a noticeable but not bad difference in ride quality. It is definitely firmer than stock, but it still rides smoother than my 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 with stock springs did.

Handling even with the 17's on it at the moment is very much improved. Alignment was a snap and there was very little change in camber. I know the springs may settle a little in the next few days but camber is in spec right now on all four corners so I think any settling will have a very negligible impact on tire wear.

I will post some pictures once I get the 19's refinished and on the CX5. I have to say visually the drop is perfect, gives it a nice hunkered down look without looking too low.
Pretty much agree with everything you said. The ride quality is noticeably firmer, but only objectionable on really crappy roads, on which I find myself slowing down to save my kidneys. All other conditions are acceptable, especially freeway driving, which is pretty much unchanged from stock. I've had mine on 4 weeks now and the thing that has surprised me the most is the thing actually does seem to handle better! Less lean; faster and more stable through the twisties. I really wasn't expecting much if any improvement in that dept. I just put them on to get the damn thing down on its chassis where it belongs. And I agree about the amount of drop; just enough to make it appear more planted. I would not want it any lower and I have to wonder what the ride quality is going to be with over twice the drop on Corksports! BTW, I'm taking mine back to the alignment shop next week to have them recheck the settings in case anything has changed from the springs settling. I made sure they were agreeable to that before I let them touch the car.

Put the 19's back on last night and ran it through the wash this morning. I will try to take a couple pics later today, but I have to say this is the way Mazda should have set them up to begin with, the 19's look perfect with the H&R springs with the exception of the offset being deeper than I would like. It looks like an Audi Q5 (only better) now with the stance it has. It's begging for some wider 19 or 20" wheels though. I will probably refinish the wheels in black in the next couple weeks if i have time. going to plastidip with the glossifier for now to decide if I like it before I commit to black wheels.
Handling in sweeping corners is much more composed than before, I am absolutely shocked at how much difference the H&R springs made in that department with no other changes. Dare I say it feels more like a sports car in the corners than a CUV now. I wouldn't compare it to either my '09 or '13 MS3's but it's very good for a CUV. :)

Put the 19's back on last night and ran it through the wash this morning. I will try to take a couple pics later today, but I have to say this is the way Mazda should have set them up to begin with, the 19's look perfect with the H&R springs with the exception of the offset being deeper than I would like. It looks like an Audi Q5 (only better) now with the stance it has. It's begging for some wider 19 or 20" wheels though. I will probably refinish the wheels in black in the next couple weeks if i have time. going to plastidip with the glossifier for now to decide if I like it before I commit to black wheels.
Handling in sweeping corners is much more composed than before, I am absolutely shocked at how much difference the H&R springs made in that department with no other changes. Dare I say it feels more like a sports car in the corners than a CUV now. I wouldn't compare it to either my '09 or '13 MS3's but it's very good for a CUV. :)

Sounds great. Can't wait for the pics.

Handling in sweeping corners is much more composed than before, I am absolutely shocked at how much difference the H&R springs made in that department with no other changes. ... it's very good for a CUV. :)
That's exactly what I noticed on a recent jaunt over some mountain roads!

vanwyk4257 You could install some wheels spacers.

Thought about that but I would rather order some aftermarket 19's or 20's if I'm going to spend more money and reduce unsprung weight rather than adding to it. It's too bad Mazda used this offset on the 19's, they look so good on the CX5 aside from the way they are recessed into the wheel opening so far.

I did snap a couple pics yesterday, but had a 35-mile training ride with my mountain bike racing team so I didn't get a chance to upload them. I will try to do so tonight.

Back