H&R lowering springs

Couldn't wait, so I just posted them from the office. Not the best pictures but I snapped them with my iPhone in a bit of a rush. I'm still leaning toward black wheels, the silver just looks out of place on the MGM in my opinion. I had a MGM 09 speed 3 with black wheels and it looked very good.
Again, I am very happy with the ride height, it leaves sufficient ground clearance but changes the entire demeanor of the vehicle from an appearance perspective, especially with the 19's.
CX5 1.JPGCX5 2.JPG

I'm pretty sure I'm going to debadge the back and I may black out the front and rear mazda emblems if I do the black wheels too. I would leave the chrome under the grill though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't change those wheels, they look so nice. Just change the color and install some spacers.

Couldn't wait, I did the plasti dip on the wheels last night, 4 coats of black and 1 coat of glossifier. I am pretty happy with the results, has a nice satin look to it, not too glossy, but not flat black either. If I decide to stick with the black though I will probably either buy aftermarket wheels or have the tires dismounted and the OEM 19's powdercoated.

The car is dirty from the rain now but I will try to snap a couple pics if I have a chance today.

IMO the Ultra Racing strut bar is cheap and a good compliment (that requires no special tools or jacks, just a 17mm socket) to the lowered for handling. The rear one is a bit more $$ but also worth it IMO. there is a 4 point avaialve for the FWB, AWD can only use the 2 point (and yes you need a jack to hold the control arm while you put the bar in between the arm and the bolt holding the arm on.

Care to comment on the ride to handling compromise made?

Thanks

It's very subjective but I have done suspension mods to numerous vehicles and I can say unequivocally that this is the biggest improvement in handling I have ever experienced with springs alone. The ride can be a bit rough on bad roads but I find it perfectly acceptable. It's comparable to my 2009 and 2013 mazdaspeed 3's on stock suspension.

If you're running the OE 17's I think it will be great. I'm on OE 19's which makes a big difference too. I have no regrets.

It's very subjective but I have done suspension mods to numerous vehicles and I can say unequivocally that this is the biggest improvement in handling I have ever experienced with springs alone. The ride can be a bit rough on bad roads but I find it perfectly acceptable. It's comparable to my 2009 and 2013 mazdaspeed 3's on stock suspension.

If you're running the OE 17's I think it will be great. I'm on OE 19's which makes a big difference too. I have no regrets.
I dropped my tire pressures to 30# (17" wheels) and it took away the "graininess" (like I could feel a dime if I rolled over it!) I was getting after installing the H&Rs. I'm sure some here will find that appalling, but a large part of the reason Mazda recommends 34# is to decrease the rolling resistance for improved fuel mileage. I haven't noticed any degradation in gas mileage and the ride isn't as harsh as it was when I first installed the springs.

Just make sure, that the tires won't wear out more at the edges.
There's nothing unusually low about running 30# of pressure. It wasn't that long ago that 30-32# was the norm for a vehicle of this size. But yes, I'll keep an eye on tire wear.:)

Mmmm, will the ride harshness be tiresome over time if used as a daily driver.... TBD...

Regardless, we are getting good info and feedback here.

Mmmm, will the ride harshness be tiresome over time if used as a daily driver.... TBD...

Good question. Right now I think I can live with it. I took a calculated risk with the H&Rs, knowing there would be a price to pay to get the damn car down to where I wanted it. You're right; time will tell. I was watching an internet review of the 2015 Mustang today and thinking man, would that be a nice "next car"! Who knows where this will end up. I'm OK with my choices for the moment, but I'm not sure this will be a long-term vehicle for me.

I think it depends on the roads you commute and/or drive on a daily basis. I don't have a problem with it and my girlfriend had nothing negative to say after a couple hours in it this week. That's good enough for me lol.

FWIW roads here in SW Michigan are trashed from a really bad winter so if I can live with it here you will probably love them.

Finally snapped a couple pics with the black wheels. Not the best quality pics. I love the black so far. I will see how the plastidip holds up for a while but will probably do powder coat if I decide to stick with these.
image.jpgimage.jpg

painted black wheels looks good, i might consider this route for a while until i can save money for the wheels i want, thanks for posting

Good question. Right now I think I can live with it. I took a calculated risk with the H&Rs, knowing there would be a price to pay to get the damn car down to where I wanted it. You're right; time will tell. I was watching an internet review of the 2015 Mustang today and thinking man, would that be a nice "next car"! Who knows where this will end up. I'm OK with my choices for the moment, but I'm not sure this will be a long-term vehicle for me.

I only brought it up when you mentioned tweaking tire pressures to improve ride harshness.

I continue to be reluctant to mess with the suspension on my CX-5 GT. For a tall crossover/SUV the GT ride/handling/comfort/quietness balance is about as good as it gets in this class and not much different than more expensive compact premium SUVs. I happen to like the style of the stock 19's (not to mention the size and proportioning), although I might consider refinishing in darker color. And unlike some that are afraid to modify even exhaust tips, I keep an open mind.

I have a Lexus IS lowered 1" on staggered 19's, so I am familiar with the drill. Since it's used as a weekend car mainly, maybe my tolerance level is different. Speaking of 2015 Mustang (GT I assume), now that would be a great weekend car...

A question for those lowering their CX-5's. The tech package includes headlight leveling when the load in the back compresses the springs. I was under the car installing a hith and noticed a sensor on the rear lower control arm which I assume is what they use for the headlights? Clealy if you lower the car the relationship of the control arm angle to the body will change, does lowering the car trigger the headlights to adjust downward?

Back