Goodbye, CX-5

If my only criteria was to have fun, without going broke, I'd get a 2016 Mustang 5.0 GT ... 435hp.

Why not the new Camaro? It destroys that. Chevy vs. Ford thing? My personal reason is that I love the look of the mustang, not so much the Camaro.

A few people that I know that has owned a VW GTI loved it until they get around 30K when they have to start to servicing the transmission. Do you plan on doing your own maintenance?

My buddy went through a tranny within the first 15k miles, and had nothing but probelms out of the warranty replaced one too before he said he'd had enough of the VW junk and took a loss on it. Another one that wouldn't drive one for free ever again, well, unless it was an old school air cooled Bug.

Precisely why I'll never buy an Audi. overpriced over engineered electrical nightmare.

Having said that I loved my 1984 GTI. Until it fell apart.

Past evo owner here as well. Loved that car. STI with the same mods was no match. I dont miss the tire bill from track days and solo runs though...lol

Still have my Evo IX in the garage. I don't think I can ever give that thing up. You can hit 450 reliable whp easy with bolt ons, fuel pump, injectors and a tune, and more with an FP green w E85 if you want.

This is great. I traded in my GTI, although it was an 2007 for my current 2016 CX-5. I will admit I miss my GTI, especially the stick, but I don't miss it in traffic. I bought my GTI with 5 miles on it and traded it in with 105,000 miles. It was a very solid car and I only had to replace the clutch in it. Other then that, only normal routine maintenance!

Had my GTI for 103K, only major maintenance I had to have done was the clutch at around 80K, other then that just brakes, tires, oil, etc.

Had my GTI for 103K, only major maintenance I had to have done was the clutch at around 80K, other then that just brakes, tires, oil, etc.

The manual transmission was great. The DSG on the other hand...

Very interesting that I would find this thread. I am currently in the market for a new car and I am considering CX5 or Golf R DSG (same size as GTI). I know they are very different vehicles but I am looking for something smaller but yet practical and offers great driving dynamic with AWD. Of course over $10K price differential is also something I am carefully considering, on top of needing at least all season tires for R.

I would go for CX5 in a heart beat if they offered a bit more power (2.5T) and updated styling akin to CX3 or CX9. How are you finding interior space of GTI compare to CX5? This will be my daily driver so driving enjoyment is important...

Last edited:
Some VW models are hit/miss when it comes to rattles. My German built CC had rattles galore. A Mexican built 2016 Jetta rental with under 10k miles had rattles already. The GTI's build quality is similar...identical almost to the CC as they share the same chassis but the GTI had less rattle issues I noticed. Quality of materials was better in my CC than in my BMW 325i (which had a squeaky frame). However the gaps between the materials in the CC sucked and thus squeaked. On good surface roads the CC was quiet as it had heavy amounts of liquid sound deadening. Something you'll like but hate in the GTI. Love the quietness but hate it you're into detailing your car-when it gets hot will leak black goo unto the paint. So far our CX-5 and Mazda6 has no rattles. The GTI is an excellent value for the performance. Just try to find a good shop nearby specializing in VW/Audis.

I currently have 2013 CC and had absolutely zero issues so far. Again, very different cars but can you provide some input on how the CX5 compares or perhaps doesnt compare to your CC in terms of power etc?

Last edited:
Still have my Evo IX in the garage. I don't think I can ever give that thing up. You can hit 450 reliable whp easy with bolt ons, fuel pump, injectors and a tune, and more with an FP green w E85 if you want.

I had the stock turbo maxed out with methanol injection as well.consistent 1.5 60 ft times, and break into the 6's @ over 100 in the 1/8, and into the 10's in the 1/4. I got kicked outta my local track, and made a dragster put his car on the trailer one night pissed bc he got outran by a 4 cylinder. Bikes on the street would tell me I gave them their best run, and my Dad finally decided his corvette just wasn't gonna get the job done...his quote "too much low end torque for me"

I sold mine bc I got laid-off from work, and low and behold I gotta better job the next week. Go figure. I miss it badly. I'm itching for another, but may give the new civic type R a try instead, although I love awd.

Last edited:
I currently have 2013 CC and had absolutely zero issues so far. Again, very different cars but can you provide some input on how the CX5 compares or perhaps doesnt compare to your CC in terms of power etc?

Sure. I also had a 2013 CC which I leased. I will give you a head to head comparo against my 2016 Mazda6 Touring. Keep in mind the CC was at a 33k MRSP pricepoint while the Mazda6 was at 27k. My factors for my daily driving are I drive 2 hours a day (1 hour during sundown). I drive 90% in city. Other 10% freeway on weekends. Need 4-door sedan for baby seat. Needs to stand out. Needs to handle well. Need to have low cost maintenance.

hqdefault.jpg

2016-mazda-6-i-grand-touring-inline1-photo-658352-s-original.jpg

Looks- CC had a Luxury sport look. The Mazda looked more sporty. They attain different goals in looks. I liked the Mazda's front end a bit more.

Comfort- The Mazda is a more comfortable car for me with more headroom. The seats are both good although I like the Mazda's a bit more. The Mazda's infotainment control knob ftw here. Comfortable to use. My legs don't hurt as much in the Mazda after an hour driving. Both had relatively stiff suspension. Much easier to get into back seat of Mazda than CC.

Controls- The CC had about all buttons lit in red. I dig that. The Mazda's is a light blue/white color but I preferred the CC's. The Mazda control know for the win like I said man. I can do so much with it while driving. Both have good steering controls buttons layed out. The Mazda has better ergonomics but the CC's at night lit red which I prefer. Case in point the interior door handles thatnot only look/feel nice but are placed perfectly to me.

Infotainment System- I like Mazda's better because mainly its a newer system. Bigger screen too. More options. Then again its comparing a 2013 to a 2016 car.

Handling- The CC has a lower stance and feels like a much smaller car. Feels nimble. The Mazda feels taller and bigger. Then again its a longer car too I think. Feels like it has a wider turning radius. I've got the 19 inch wheels. That said when pushed fast on tight 90 degree turns, the Mazda can actually handle better even with skinny 7.5 wide tires vs 8 wide tires and lower stance of the CC. Likely because the Mazda is lighter but its center of gravity is higher. I can't wait to drop it 1 inch. It would make for an excellent handling 4 door sedan yet retain comfort.

Power- Remember I do a lot of city driving. 0-60 numbers are good but 0-30 numbers are what I'm using the majority of the time. 0-30 in 2.3 seconds for the CC and 2.7 seconds for the Mazda6. Also too the skyactive tranny is much more smoother in traffic than the CC's DSG which was clunky in stop and go traffic. In the open road its no contest as the CC is easily a full 1 second faster to 60. The mazda has nothing on the DSG in its sport mode.

Maintenance- Oil changes of the CC are easier due to filter being on top. I don't think VW offers their free maintenance plans anymore? The Mazda would be cheaper to maintain in the long run. Aside from oil changes, easier to do too. Mazda uses 87 octane while CC recommends 91.

Interior fit- One thing I hate is a creaking interior. Push the silver plastic dash trim pieces in the CC and they would flex a bit too much for a $33k car. Lots of creaks in the back cabin too. The Mazda had a more tighter interior trim fitment in both the 24k CX-5 and 27k Mazda6. The Mazda's pleather seats feel a bit softer than VW's version. The CC had a better steering wheel material feel.

Lights at night- The Mazda6 has a much more sharper cutoff with a blue tint at the cutoff. The throw is further out too although a bit low due. The CC had fresnel lenses that dispersed light better up closer. The Mazda6's clear lenses put down much brighter light on the road. No issues with tail light output on both. The BSM helps a lot at night and during daytime which the CC didn't have.

Paint- The CC had premium quality paint vs Mazda's standard. I hate the sound insulation goo that leaks from the chrome trim on the doors of the CC though. Irritating to clean off. The Mazda6 has titanium flash mica which is really unique. There's also the white with pearl and the red giving Mazda a bit more options in color vs the CC.

CX-5Um - great comparo! No doubt, Mazda6 would be on the top of my list if I were looking for 4 door sedans. Thanks for sharing. Do you have thoughts between CC and CX5?

I got my CC R line for $26K new due to low demand. Now, it's probably worth $15K at most with 19k miles.

Wether you are a Mazda or VW fan, I think we can all agree that at least something like this was not purchased (see below)
546b4c57edad2_-_pontiacaztekpr-0oj4pn-lg.jpg

That thing is nightmare fuel hideous....

Also they made a "Rally" version of this thing? WTF?

Very interesting that I would find this thread. I am currently in the market for a new car and I am considering CX5 or Golf R DSG (same size as GTI). I know they are very different vehicles but I am looking for something smaller but yet practical and offers great driving dynamic with AWD. Of course over $10K price differential is also something I am carefully considering, on top of needing at least all season tires for R.

I would go for CX5 in a heart beat if they offered a bit more power (2.5T) and updated styling akin to CX3 or CX9. How are you finding interior space of GTI compare to CX5? This will be my daily driver so driving enjoyment is important...
Here are my two cents. If you want space, reliability, and resale value, get the CX-5. Just be aware CX-5 doesn't offer memory seat and rear AC vents if you care to have these features in your CC. The Bose sound system on CX-5 is average at best without good high notes and bass. But I think the space should be your deciding factor between CX-5 and Golf R.

I've never been too sensitive to car styling - how it looks is pretty low on my checklist.

But that is truly and utterly hideous!

I can only understand cross-shopping those two vehicles if money is irrelevant. I hope you're not planning on taking a loan for this - if so, the obvious choice is the CX-5 with it's MUCH lower cost of ownership (including resale, maintenance/repair, initial purchase and fuel consumption). Better yet, find a good used car. If money is no object, just drive them both and pick the one you like. My guess is it will be the high-spec Honda. In this case (money doesn't matter) the only reason to get the CX-5 is if you need the greater ground clearance and performance off paved roads. Assuming the Honda is big enough for your needs. There really is no comparison to be had here.

For Golf R money here's my short list: (compact 4 doors only)

Lancer Evo Final Edition
Focus RS
maybe WRX STI

Mazdaspeed3 if it every comes out!!!

Back