Gas Mileage

afrost59 said:
I finally got my city driving mileage to 17.8. That is approx. 20 miles a day, going 60/40 city, highway. I was only getting 14+ previously.
Too many factors to know what really had the most impact.
1) changed my gas to Chevron Techron
2) turned off my AC, used to have it on all the time even in the cold weather, like how it keeps humidity down (Portland, Oregon area).
3) Reduced my usage of the remote starter.

Very happy with the increased efficiency

Andy

The remote start will definately kill the mileage. But a small price to pay for not freezing your butt off.

afrost59 said:
I finally got my city driving mileage to 17.8. That is approx. 20 miles a day, going 60/40 city, highway. I was only getting 14+ previously.
Too many factors to know what really had the most impact.
1) changed my gas to Chevron Techron
2) turned off my AC, used to have it on all the time even in the cold weather, like how it keeps humidity down (Portland, Oregon area).
3) Reduced my usage of the remote starter.

Very happy with the increased efficiency

Andy

Your efficiency is 4 miles per day = 120 miles per month = 20$ per month . Does it really worth it? (eyeballs) .

Hi to everybody (thumb) . Zoom-zoom (yippy) .

Last edited:
??

Orakul said:
Your efficiency is 4 miles per day = 120 miles per month = 20$ per month . Does it really worth it? (eyeballs) .

Hi to everybody (thumb) . Zoom-zoom (yippy) .

I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the changes I did are
worth getting better gas mileage? uh...yeah... it wasn't difficult... by anymeans.

The only thing I am not sure of is was my efficiency a result of what I did or the winter gas change over? Guess I won't know till next Winter.
I guess I am inexperieced in this but is this why the gas price jumped up 30 cents?

afrost59

Fyi,
just got 18.2 mpg on my last tank, very pleased that I finally got what the Mazda rating was.

A F

Now that I have the ability to monitor boost, it is pretty much happening any time you are accelerating, even under 2500 rpm's. That is why pure highway is decent.

Nash04 said:
Love this car but fed up with the mpg so this is what I'm sending to Mazda and will be sending to some major magazines/newspaper

CX-7 Buyer Beware!!

If you like the comforts a car but the gas mileage of a truck then this is the vehicle!!

Before stating the facts, let me give you some background;
Ive previously owned 2 other Mazda cars, both 626, different years and was very impress with both of them as for performance and riding comforts, on both cars; I accumulated over 150,000 miles on each one!! Very good!

Ive owned this CX-7 since last November and have accumulated over 5,000 miles (mostly highway) and impress in the riding comfort but very disappointed in MPG. One of the main reasons I purchase this vehicle was due to past experience and the advertised MPG!!! But after driving this vehicle mainly on the highway, the best gas mileage that it ever did; was 18.5 mpg which is way below their advertise sticker. The vehicle has been brought to the dealership twice to upgrade both chips (ECU and Transmission) and have not seen any improvements. So basically Im driving a car but with the gas mileage of a truck which Im very disappointed in. If I had known of the gas mileage issue, I would have bought the Toyota RV4 which has a V6 and still produce better gas mileage and have previously owned a Toyota vehicle which was very good and dependable.

Do not forget that you must use 93 octane gas which is $0.20/25 more than regular gas and as we are all aware of, gas is not cheap nowadays!! Its costing me around $40-45 per fill up!! This is outrageous!!!

If there is a lawyer out there that is willing to go to court for me and other owners willing to sue Mazda for Fraud for mis-leading EPA MPG or even under the lemon laws since this will be the third time this vehicle has been to the dealer ship and no improvement have been met, please send me a note at lilolhoss@rcn.com

Disclosure: This is my sole statement and is base upon owning this vehicle for the past 6 months, the vehicle is a great vehicle which Mazda has done very well but again it has not meant the criteria that it advertise on the MSRP sticker.

(pissed)

You don't have a leg to stand on. EPA estimates are provided by the US Government and are NOT "Advertised" on the sticker. They are merely a guide for comparison shopping. Lemon laws can only be used if the car spend MORE TIME in the shop than in your hands...3 times in an attempt to get certain milege values is not LEMON LAW worthy.

One other point, just because gas has gone up doesn't mean they have to take the car back. You payed just under 30k for the car...man up and pay for the gas.

My suggestion is to just trade it in on a hybrid.(inout)

Last edited:
1killercls said:
Just keep your foot out of it gents and these numbers are possible.(usa)

I think even higher mileage would be possible if you were to use sport shift all the time... this vehicle is terrible for downshifting for no reason, or going back and forth between two gears when you're even slightly modulating the gas.

Mind you, I'm used to driving a manual transmission, so maybe thats just how auto's work... lol

Hey Nash04 -- I'd have someone take a look at that letter before you send it. There are so many grammatical errors that no one is going to take you seriously.

koala -- I too have only had stick shift non-turbo cars, so I used the manual shift to keep the RPM under 2500 so as to get better mileage. I got around 15 mpg. Then I turned off the AC and left it in Auto and i get over 17 mpg. If I stayed off the gas pedal I could probably get more, but that's no fun.

I just filled up yesterday and got 18.25 MPG on the last tank. 100% city driving and a heavy foot. The gas mileage is acceptable to me, but I do wish it had a bigger tank so i didn't have to fill-up as often. I filled up at the 250 mile mark. I'd like to see it go 300-325.

I consistently get over 20 mpg, and never, ever use manual mode. I think the only time manual will ever be useful is if and when I get stuck in mud or snow.

OTOH, my Miata is a five-speed, and I wouldn't have an auto in one. Different vehicles, different purpose, different results, same driver.

Last edited:
Back