Gas Mileage

tomweston

i only get 200 miles with 93 octane on full 18 gallons . i have 1200 miles and this is the only thing that infuriates me. no other problems whatsoever.
gas cap, engine light everything is ok
i was hoping that even with a 244hp turbo 4 cylinder i would get 300 miles on full tank of gas, i dont have a heavy foot either

u literally filled the tank with 18 gallons? there is a reserve of 2 gallons, if you can get over 16 stuffed into the tank at a fill up ur lucky. And, ur car isnt close to being broken in yet.

as to what to expect for mileage, if u think u should be getting whats on the window sticker, refer to the real bad gas mileage thread.

city 14-16, city highway maybe 16-18+ depending on % of each, highway low 20's.

even if u drive some highway, say 30%, u will still not crack near 20mpg, just not gonna happen with this car. it weighs 4,000 lbs.

I consistently get 16 - 17 mpg in 90% city driving (worst was 15.5) and on a long roadtrip, got 23 mpg all-highway with three other people plus luggage in the car.

200 on a full tank is very low, broken-in or not. I get 260-270miles in the city before the indicator dips all the way down and it takes 16-17 gallons to fill the tank. Managed to put 17.2 gallons in it once, when the needle went well past the last indicator bar.

Bottom line: Either you floor it and stay in boost rpm range all the time or there's something wrong with your CX-7.

(Mines's a GT AWD with ~6500 miles, btw)

no theres not anything wrong. i got 170 to a tank once. its just the truck, u gotta deal with it.

if that trend continues, however, then yea id check it out. 12 1/2mpg isnt something completely outta left field for this car.

bottom line, drive it the way you want to drive it as if gas wasnt an issue. cuz either way, the mpg will not be what you want, and you might as well enjoy the ride while your at it. if you arent smiling at the end of the day, then i guess this truck just isnt for you.

tomweston said:
i only get 200 miles with 93 octane on full 18 gallons . i have 1200 miles and this is the only thing that infuriates me. no other problems whatsoever.
gas cap, engine light everything is ok
i was hoping that even with a 244hp turbo 4 cylinder i would get 300 miles on full tank of gas, i dont have a heavy foot either

i also started with about 15-16 mpg roughly, somehow i "went" up to 18-19 mpg with just 1700+ miles..
Just hang on.. you're still lucky you dont have the CEL that some of us are experiencing/experienced..

Think of the good aspects of the CX7 like what im doing while my car is on the dealership for the IMRC valve repair.. The loaner car they gave me (Pontiac G6) sucks!! (puke)

I got almost 14mpg on my latest tank. That's with a lot of city/stop-n-go driving. It's just a gas drinker. If we wanted efficiency, we would have gotten a prius ;)

I get around 14 mpg... don't honestly care. Probably could squeeze 16-18 out of it if I drove less spirited and didn't leave the auto climate control on all the time.

mikey1981 said:
bottom line, drive it the way you want to drive it as if gas wasnt an issue. cuz either way, the mpg will not be what you want, and you might as well enjoy the ride while your at it. if you arent smiling at the end of the day, then i guess this truck just isnt for you.

I agree with this and the similar comments. I bought the car because it is FUN to drive. If I'm not going to enjoy it, why have it. While the mileage numbers may be worse than expected or billed, we knew when we bought the car that it was not as fuel efficient in relative terms as other vehicles.

I for one am still smiling and absolutely happy with my choice.

I get about 18.5-19 mpg city consistently (FWD)and I have over 7000 miles on her. I would not be happy with less than 16 mpg but maybe give it time and it should hopefully get better. Do you have AWD? I'd expect around 16 or 17 mpg if so. Lots of factors in calculating mpg: climate, style of driving, AWD, air pressure in tires, inaccurate calculating etc. Reasons why one versus the next gets better I guess. Winter is usually worse. I had an RX 8 that initially got 12 mpg(sticker said 19)and I was not happy....it gradually went up...15...17...than 18 for a while until it reached 19 the last two weeks before I sold it....37,000 miles....a lot of breaking in on it to get the mpg, but I was told by many that the rotary needs to be broken in....maybe the turbo needs a little of that too?? Hang in there it may get better....good luck!

One thing I have concluded, is that this engine and the operations of this car are severly affected by what climate its in. I watch the temp gauge drop 10 degrees, sometimes even 20 in a drive if NH has some really cold weather. The sounds the engine makes, the exhaust color, vibrations. Its really weird, but it happens all the time. I know cars operate a little harsher in cold weather, but this things seems to not like it.

so back to my point, i think there are alot of factors, not so much driving style, that go into the MPG you will get in this car. from reading online and on this forums, numbers are very skewed and it seems to be by location not so much if ur hammering the accelerator.

mikey1981 said:
One thing I have concluded, is that this engine and the operations of this car are severly affected by what climate its in. I watch the temp gauge drop 10 degrees, sometimes even 20 in a drive if NH has some really cold weather. The sounds the engine makes, the exhaust color, vibrations. Its really weird, but it happens all the time. I know cars operate a little harsher in cold weather, but this things seems to not like it.

so back to my point, i think there are alot of factors, not so much driving style, that go into the MPG you will get in this car. from reading online and on this forums, numbers are very skewed and it seems to be by location not so much if ur hammering the accelerator.
Turbo engines in general sound and feel like ass when cold, so the colder the weather the worse it gets. My parents in Czech Republic have a Skoda Octavia with a 1.8l turbo I4 (basically a VW/Audi motor) and in winter, which is similar to Northeast U.S., the car shudders, stalls, shakes, rumbles and generally feels like crap when left out in the cold.

my gf has an 07 A4, and her parents have an 07 A4, yea same cars haha but anyways, they arent as bad as the 7's turbo in terms of aclimating themselves to weather.

Since ive spent so much time recently talking to the service manager about my car, i guess one of the biggest problems with the 7 across the country is weather, conditions, and their resulting effects=problems for this car/engine. Not sure how minor or major the problems are, but he said its prob one of the most common cause for a service visit for a check engine light or a part breaking due to hot or coldness.

anyways, Im digressing from the thread. MpG!

o and Tom, i forgot to say, cheer up bro, i didnt get good MPG till 3k miles, and i got a massive jump to about 300+/- to a tank. You still have some driving to do for better efficiency.

I beginning to understand why this low mileage for some. Its the grar ratio on city as you won't be doing 5th ro 6th gear. So switch to M would really bring higher mileage for me, at lease 288miles for a full tank. If I'm not wrong the default are on Sport which has more power. Mazda should have a switch which turn on Sport or normal driving, like the BMW. So it would allow higher gear(5th or 6th) even on city but less power and Sport for zoom zoom.. :)

Filled up for the second time today:
Tank #1 - 266 miles - 17.10MPG - Tank filled by dealer
Tank #2 - 215 miles - 15.91MPG - Shell 93 - Average 16.51MPG

I'm in Cleveland, and a few things happened this past week. I had my Sirius installed (sort of - long story that I'll put in a different post once resolved), and I think they may have run the engine some. Also, we've had a couple of bad snow storms, including one that took me over 2 hours to drive home from work (only @ 6 miles). Can't get good MPG going < 5 MPH!

Man, I can't wait 'till Spring!!!

Marcori said:
Filled up for the second time today:
Tank #1 - 266 miles - 17.10MPG - Tank filled by dealer
Tank #2 - 215 miles - 15.91MPG - Shell 93 - Average 16.51MPG

I'm in Cleveland, and a few things happened this past week. I had my Sirius installed (sort of - long story that I'll put in a different post once resolved), and I think they may have run the engine some. Also, we've had a couple of bad snow storms, including one that took me over 2 hours to drive home from work (only @ 6 miles). Can't get good MPG going < 5 MPH!

Man, I can't wait 'till Spring!!!
After 2500 miles I'm now getting 17 MPG combo city/highway and 20-22 mostly highway.

On the Other Hand, Good MPG

I just completed a trip of 935 miles, and filled up four times. My mpg was 24.9 (that's 24.9, not a typo), 23.6, 20.1, and 21.3. I thought maybe the first tank was the result of a "long fill, short fill," but the second tank makes me doubt it.

The first two tanks were all Interstate through southern IL then east across KY, not Texas-flat but not CO-mountainous. The third tank had a lot of around town driving, then west across KY in and out of storms, and the last was west across KY, in and out of rain and wind for 250 miles.

The cruise was set on 74 and I didn't touch the gas or brake unless I had to avoid traffic, the auto temp control was on but the AC off, and the car had about 9,000 miles at the start of the trip. There was only me in the car, but quite a bit of stuff (maybe 200-250 pounds).

So, around town, it's pretty thirsty, but if you keep it below 2.5k rpm on the road, you'll do ok.

azcat said:
the auto temp control was on but the AC off.

I thought the AC was always on when using the Auto Temp control feature. Heck, when it was 20 degrees over the winter, the green AC light was still lit.

Back