Gas Cap

Anyone figure out any trick to make it so the gas cap doesn't rest against the car when you are filling her up? I can never seem to get the little rubber rope to hook up to anything on the gas lid.

It took some practice, but now I can do this one handed. You have to sort of lever it in.

Picture-2.jpg

Honda makes a cap holder, part number 74423-sp0-000 that can be modified and double-sided-taped to the gas door, and it works okay (gotta put the cap in there JUST right).
Got the idea right here off the forums.

I used a $.07 stick on plastic hook. I put it on the arm that holds the cap cover.

I use a small hunk of magnet tape ( available at Wal-Mart ) and stuck it to the gas cap, now I just let the magnet hold the cap to the car.

It took some practice, but now I can do this one handed. You have to sort of lever it in.

Picture-2.jpg
x2. There's a tab on the inside of your gas cap door that fits into a groove on your gas cap. I'm diligent to always hang my gas cap because I know if I don't, my white paint will discolor over time.

Locking fuel cap?

Anyone have one for their 5? Gas/Diesel thieves are getting pretty bold around DC.

Oh... that's how it works! I have perfected the art of wedging the gas cap's little outer ridge into the door so that it hangs perpendicular to the door.. I though it was wickedly hard for just holding the cap.

around here they don't bother with the siphoning though the filler, they just punch a hole in your tank and let it drain into a container.

around here they don't bother with the siphoning though the filler, they just punch a hole in your tank and let it drain into a container.

Holy Crap!!!! Really!! we are going to end up in riots or a revolution cause of freakin gas!

Yeah, they've started doing it in Vegas too. If I know the car outside is going to sit over the weekend or for any length of time, it will sit outside w/ a 1/4 tank or less. It's not an inconvenience for me to stop at the gas station and pump a little more often to keep fuel level lower. At least that way if someone does punch a hole in my tank, I'm not out $100 in fuel, I'm only out $20 and the insurance company will take care of the tank.
Damn thieves.

Locking gas caps not needed...I think

Anyone have one for their 5? Gas/Diesel thieves are getting pretty bold around DC.

Since the gas cap door has to be released from the inside of the car, I think a locking gas cap isn't necessary - they'd have to break into the car first which isn't a smart think if you then have to stand outside siphoning for 10 minutes.

As someone else pointed out, they'd likely go for the vehicles with larger tanks though that assumes thieves are logical. IMO they're mostly opportunists who don't think things through (ie stupid and lazy).

As far as having the tank drilled, I think this is not likely for the Mazda 5: 1) it is low to the ground and therefore a lot harder than the multitude of crossovers, SUV's, and trucks 2) As a somewhat "rare" bird, the thief will not know where the tank is or what side is best to go from. Back to my point of stupid and lazy.

Finally try to squeeze the cap in that holder thingy. Was wondering how it works, thanks for the thread ;-)

Latest posts

Back