Garmin Parking Mode Cable anyone?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
I plan to install Parking Mode Cable | Garmin
It promises to cut off power when voltage reaches 12V to avoid battery drain
Is that a good idea?
Anyone has experience with this cable?
If it does cut off, will the remaining voltage be good for a week of parking given all the other consumers (remote start, keyless entry etc)

Last edited:
Is what a good idea? If you have a Garmin dash cam and want it to remain functional based on motion sensing while the car is parked, then yes, it's a good idea. I have no experience with the cable, but if it turns off the device when the battery drops to 12v then there will be plenty of power remaining for the vehicle to sit for a week with the other small energy consumers, as long as the battery itself is in good condition and no other device has a fault causing an excessive draw.

Is what a good idea?
As you can tell I have close to zero experience with car electric stuff, so I was just wondering if that's a good idea in general to leave something in the car that drains battery down to 12V on permanent basis. Is that going to damage the battery or leave me with a dead car in the winter. But from what you're saying it seems it should be fine, thanks!

I ordered the smallest cam Garmin Dash Cam™ Mini 2 | Dash Cam hoping it would drain the least power

The car is a new CX5, not sure what the voltage is after I turn the ignition off, but I will check. Not sure how long it's going to last before it drops to 12V, and I start to grow suspicious as even after extensive search through specs I'm not able to see how much amps or watts the cam is, isn't that weird

12v? not 12.1 or 12.2?
I think 12v is considered completely discharged, even though your car very well might start. If you don't have AAA or jumper cables maybe a lithium cell jump pack would be handy.

The Garmin device won't drain the battery down to 12v in regular use. The cable is simply built with a safeguard so that if it is ever drawing current and the battery drops to 12v it will disconnect so it doesn't draw the battery down further.

12.0v is not completely discharged. It's approximately a 50% charge state. Without the car running and the alternator charging, 12.7v is generally considered fully charged and 10.5 is fully discharged. Generally the car will still be able to start as long as voltage is above 11.5, sometimes even as low as 10.8 will still start the car. This is why Garmin designed the logic to cut off at 12.0v to leave you with plenty of safety margin. The motion sensor likely has a very low draw, and the only time you'd get close to drawing an otherwise good battery down to the 12.0v is if there was a lot of motion sensed that activated actual recording for extended periods of time while the car was left sitting for many days.

I've heard more than 50% DOD depth of discharge will damage the battery.

"The recommended DoD for lead-acid batteries isaround 50%, meaning you should not discharge more than half of your available battery capacity to avoid any damage or premature system degradation. ... Understanding depth of charge is important to size a battery bank properly."

If it does cut off, will the remaining voltage be good for a week of parking given all the other consumers (remote start, keyless entry etc)
If you bought a dash cam with the lowest amp draw you could find that should help.

How much does the battery drop per day? Maybe you can predict how long it will last.

Says 12.8V
Per Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 review update… does it overheat? 🤔 And testing PARKING MODE 😳!! the cam is 0.3A
I tried to figure out what kind of battery it is to try to understand how long it's supposed to last with 0.3A consumer but no luck
F221 seems to be the first part of the part number

20211027_190322.jpg

Last edited:
If you bought a dash cam with the lowest amp draw you could find that should help.
Yes that definitely should help and I understand that I'm not the first one to use dash cam in parking mode. However unlike most people sometimes I don't drive the car for a whole week, and that's why I'm concerned about this stuff

Cable and cam arrived.

Cam power specifications are nowhere to be found - nothing on the cam itself, in the manual, on the box. The only way to tell power consumption is from the video review above.

The cable has zero information along with it, the piece of paper it comes with refers to some web address that is another dash cam manual that happens to have a section about cable installation and nothing about the cable itself. The only way to tell that it *hopefully* is going to cut off at certain voltage is by opening it and seeing the jumper. Will set it to 12.3 to see what happens.

If it doesn't cut off Garmin is clearly not responsible :)
20211027_205806.jpg

Says 12.8V
Per Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 review update… does it overheat? 🤔 And testing PARKING MODE 😳!! the cam is 0.3A
I tried to figure out what kind of battery it is to try to understand how long it's supposed to last with 0.3A consumer but no luck
F221 seems to be the first part of the part number

View attachment 304222
I think the battery will be between 40 and 50 amp hours.Using .3A for a week would use 50 Amp hours, so it might last less than a full week.

Finally completed the install.
Whoever is doing it using Add-a-Circuit Fuse Adapters - the Low Profile Mini ones don't fit cx5 fusebox, they are too short so don't even try.
Go for just Mini, they do fit, but you'll need some Mini size fuses (both for the camera and for those that you you're plugging the adapter in instead)

You will shorten the life of your battery if you pull it below 12.2V. 11.8V is considered 0% State Of Charge.
Yes I figured that out as well, thanks!
There's time limiter in the camera itself so I'm using that and it cuts off before voltage goes below 12.3V

Back