Future CX-5 owner concerned about transmission

I had a 2015 CX5. The transmission had to be replaced at around 2,000 miles. I still had problems with the new transmission, but the dealerships in Denver couldn't figure it out, so at 6,000 miles, I traded it in for a 2016 CX5. I'm at 3,400 miles now, and the transmission has started hesitating when I put it in gear, and also when accelerating from a stop. I'm finished with Mazdas forever.
Better sell your Mazda and get a Toyota (dunno)

Mine made a weird whistling noise, possibly due to a bearing going bad. I had no issues with the trans acting up. Acted completely normal.

The one I am buying was doing the same thing -- dealer is fixing it (replacing a 'bearing at the end of the transfercase") prepurchase. Hope this is an isolated issue!

The one I am buying was doing the same thing -- dealer is fixing it (replacing a 'bearing at the end of the transfercase") prepurchase. Hope this is an isolated issue!

Mine is FWD, has no transfer case.

Quick question and please don't be offended. When you change from forward to reverse and vice verca, do you come to a complete stand before shifting?

Yes. I can't imagine why anyone would invite transmission trouble by doing otherwise.

I realize this is an old post, and not sure if anyone will see it, but I thought I would share my experience for the sake of forum members. I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, just rolled past 60k miles. 2nd Owner, bought at 23k miles off lease. It is my wife's daily driver now. All of a sudden, transmission started acting very poorly. Particularly, it seemed isolated to 1st and 2nd gear. It would not downshift smoothly into 1st gear. When I rolled to a stop, the car seemed fine. As you release the brake, the computer senses you are about to go and would engage 1st gear. It would do so with a loud thunk and lurch forward abruptly. Once going it would seem ok, but I could hear abnormal click clack sounds. Once (on my way to the dealer to have it checked) it slipped out of 2nd gear for a second or 2, then SLAMMED me back into gear, loud bang, very disconcerting. I was devastated at this point, knowing that it was out of warranty at 63k miles. But the happy ending: Mazda is replacing the tranny under warranty. My personal gut feeling, based on what I have read here and elsewhere, is that there must have been a batch of bad components, and they probably know exactly which serial numbers are affected, so will honor the warranty if it fails.

Back