Fuel Pump Recall coming to some newer models

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
Mazda has issued fuel pump recall (weak blade) in several countries.
Not sure if US will be next, but it is very likely.
(same issue with Toyota and Honda not long ago)

Model: Date produced (check the label at the base of your B-pillar or wait for the letter)
Mazda2: 10/17 - 8/19
Mazda3: 8/18 - 2/19
Mazda6 (gas): 8/18 - 9/18
CX3 (gas): 9/18 - 10/18
CX5 (gas): 8/18 - 9/18
CX9: 8/18 - 9/18
(note: not every vehicle produced within the time frame will be recalled.)
(sourced: Official News from Taiwan Mazda)

News from Malaysia also:

Last edited:
Disappointing, but at least it looks like only 2 months of production were affected. Where did you see the date ranges?

Official announcement from Mazda Taiwan.
I double checked the dates carefully, unless the news has wrong production dates.
The announcement in US will likely come out soon.

First mention I've seen of a fuel pump issue with our newer vehicles. Didn't see any indication in the information posted of which fuel pump it is. I'm familiar with other makes having fairly early failures with the high pressure pump, so I'll place my bet on that pump for this Mazda recall as well.

It is the low pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank, not the high pressure fuel injectors.
Toyota just had a massive recall on a similar issue (likely the same supplier of fuel pump).
Reason for this failure is weak blades inside the pump. The blade could snap off, causing pump to lose the pressure and lead to vehicle stalling while in motion ... hence, a safety recall.

Link to the Toyota one.

It is the low pressure fuel pump inside the fuel tank, not the high pressure fuel injectors.
Toyota just had a massive recall on a similar issue (likely the same supplier of fuel pump).
Reason for this failure is weak blades inside the pump. ….
Thanks for the info, and it looks like I lose my bet, but not the first or last time of that happening. Good to have this heads-up, in order to be watching for further developments with our vehicles. I wonder if this fuel pump might have been the automaker's first attempt at Cylinder Deactivation.

Anyone know if this recall will apply to Mexico plant production also (Mazda3) or only production from plants in Japan? Maybe a different fuel pump supplier for the Mexico plant. IDK just asking.

VQ35DE, not sure yet.
It depends on whether Mexican plant uses the same fuel pump.
Let us wait and see.

Official announcement from Mazda Taiwan.
I double checked the dates carefully, unless the news has wrong production dates.
The announcement in US will likely come out soon.
Do you have the link of official recall announcement from Mazda Taiwan?

A quick search on google will find recall news from China, Malaysia and Taiwan.
It might take some time for other parts of the world.
After all, Mazda might need to prepare enough parts for the recall.

yrwei52,
Mazda Taiwan has notified all dealers in Taiwan.
So based on the recall notice from Mazda Taiwan, the blades of the fuel pump are weak which can be deformed over time and stuck, hence the pump failure. The affected models are all gasoline engines on Mazda2 (manufactured 2017/10 ~ 2019/8)、Mazda3 (2018/8 ~ 2019/2)、Mazda6 (2018/8 ~ 2018/9)、Mazda CX-3 (2018/9 ~ 2018/10)、Mazda CX-5 (2018/8 ~ 2018/9)、Mazda CX-9 (2018/8 ~ 2018/9).

Looks like my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA, a Mazda2 in disguise, is affected. But the difference is those Mazda’s in Taiwan were all assembled in Japan, but my Yaris was assembled in Mexico.

Amazing.
Took Mazda 1 yr to issue a recall in USA.

Affected Vehicles Built at Mazda Motor Corporation:

MY2018 Mazda6 – 13,515 units

MY2018 Mazda3 – 210 units

MY2019 CX-3 – 8,987 units

MY2018 CX-5 – 72,554 units

MY2019 CX-5 – 9,276 units

MY2018 CX-9 – 6,734 units

MY2019 CX-9 – 6,625 units

MY2018 MX-5 – 391 units

MY2019 MX-5 -2,517 units

Affected Vehicles built at Mazda De Mexico Vehicle Operation:

MY2019 Mazda3 – 186 units

MY2020 Mazda2 – 43 units

Yes its amazing and a bit disappointing with this recall and the way Mazda is handling it so far.
First it seems this was kept under the rug for a while then it seems no real support for now.
Tried to call Mazda NA to inquire more- no way to reach anybody - for hours on hold. On the web chat no agents available.
At least some dealers were more responsive on that new Recall details. Multiple dealers say fuel pump replacement mentioned in the recall cannot be done at present due to lack of parts, ETA next summer if lucky based on the Mazda info notice they have.
Consumer Notices in the snail mail would be send sometime in January 2022, etc etc.
First the Cylinder deactivation Recall now this one. Seems the 2018 is the dreaded one model year.

Last edited:
Yes its amazing and a bit disappointing with this recall and the way Mazda is handling it so far.
First it seems this was kept under the rug for a while then it seems no real support for now.
Tried to call Mazda NA to inquiry more- no way to reach anybody - for hours on hold. On the web chat no agents available.
At least some dealers were more responsive on that new Recall details. Multiple dealers say fuel pump replacement mentioned in the recall cannot be done at present due to lack of parts, ETA next summer if lucky based on the Mazda info notice they have.
Consumer Notices in the snail mail would be send sometime in January 2022, etc etc.
First the Cylinder deactivation Recall now this one. Seems the 2018 is the dreaded one model year.
This fuel pump issue is affect lots of brands that used this fuel pump. Something like 2M vehicles

So long for reliable japanese quality. I bet they all used Denso. And of course its the Cylinder Deactivation models affected :)
The turbo uses different part number for the fuel pump.

not that I know of, at least on 2017 and newer models. There is a forum member who had a major failure with the fuel pump but his was gen1 cx5.
I think this thread is the main one for that topic on the gen2.
Mazda has provided some details that they have small number of reports in US lately and they were monitoring this since 2019 but thats the 'public info'. I also doubt we have big audience here. Bet that most of the owners dont even visit forums.

I have bad experience in the past with low pressure pump failing thus my rant :) Different car.
Once it breaks (it sits after the filter) often times small particles may travel to the high pressure fuel pump and then based on some luck more expensive repairs may arise. Not mentioning what may happen if you are on the highway at that time.

Last edited:
Back