Fuel Injector Cleaner

Hi Folks,

Owner of a 2021 CX-5 Signature here. I'm looking for some feedback on fuel injector cleaner. Is it a good thing to use every once in a while? Can it be harmful to the engine in any way? Is there a specific brand you would recommend? My car has 22k miles and I use 87 octane even though it's the turbo engine because the gas out here in CA is outrageously expensive! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Folks,

Owner of a 2021 CX-5 Signature here. I'm looking for some feedback on fuel injector cleaner. Is it a good thing to use every once in a while? Can it be harmful to the engine in any way? Is there a specific brand you would recommend? My car has 22k miles and I use 87 octane even though it's the turbo engine because the gas out here in CA is outrageously expensive! Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you use a top tier fuel, you shouldn't need to use a fuel injector cleaner as top tier fuels have detergents in them that do virtually the same thing as a fuel injector cleaner would. If you find yourself filling up at places where you aren't sure if they're using top tier fuel, then fuel injector cleaner is something you might want to consider every once in a while.

The cleaner is not harmful in any way, as long as you follow the directions on the bottle.

I agree with sm1ke here. But if you'll feel better using an injector cleaner go with Chevron Techron, most people 'in the know' agree that this stuff is one of the best, if not the best.

As mentioned, read and follow the instructions on the bottle.

Speaking of which, and not to hijack the thread...I bought a bottle of Techron at Walmart last week and got flagged for an ID to buy it. Are people drinking this stuff?? That's aside from the fact that it's close to 9 bucks a bottle now. Just thought that was weird.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, and not to hijack the thread...I bought a bottle of Techron at Walmart last week and got flagged for an ID to but it. Are people drinking this stuff?? That's aside from the fact that it's close to 9 bucks a bottle now. Just thought that was weird.

I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd say that this stuff has the potential of being 'huffed'. The vapors are inhaled in order to catch a buzz and to kill off any remaining brain cells that the abuser might still have in their heads. Darwin knows.

Top Tier brands are listed here:

There should also be a Top Tier sticker on the pump to confirm.

I use Top Tier in my CX-5, Exxon only because the station is convenient.

On the other hand, I use non-Top Tier in my Sienna from an Indian reservation which is 20-30 cents cheaper because they don't pay tax. Technically only reservation members are to be tax exempt but NY State does not try to enforce it. With an occasional dose of Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner it runs like a top at 109,000 miles.

Choose your poison.

I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd say that this stuff has the potential of being 'huffed'. The vapors are inhaled in order to catch a buzz and to kill off any remaining brain cells that the abuser might still have in their heads. Darwin knows.
Decent conjecture. I saw a random note somewhere that said it might be used as a solvent in making meth. I have no idea if true.

This begs a question. What happened to the tried, true and cost effective huff--gasoline? Gas might get you to brain dead faster.

you would be surprised what people do.
Once I got asked for ID for compressed air cans for cleaning my electronics :)

Decent conjecture. I saw a random note somewhere that said it might be used as a solvent in making meth. I have no idea if true.

This begs a question. What happened to the tried, true and cost effective huff--gasoline? Gas might get you to brain dead faster.

Ask Jay Leno... ;)

Why would direct injection result in carbon in the intake?
Emissions systems (EGR, crankcase breather, etc) introduce carbon contaminates into the induction (intake, valves). In older engines where fuel mist passes through that same area, the fuel cleaned the carbon deposits off as it passed by. In the new modern direct injection motors, the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber so there is nothing to clean the carbon buildup in the intake system.

I am also a California resident and not only are our gas prices high but even the Top Tier fuel sellers seem to have problems with the gas that is related to the types of fuel blends required here.

I only run 91 octane in my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve turbo mainly because I want the extra power. I'm retired so I don't drive much which is good because that gas is about $5.40 a gallon in my small mountain town.

Anyway, I do two things as preventive maintenance: I add the recommended dosage of Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank every few months and also a bottle of Techron before each oil change. A lot of people claim MMO is snake oil but it has some solvent properties that keep things like the fuel level sensor float from gumming up. The Techron contains PEA (polyetheramine) which is a strong cleaner for injectors and MMO does not. Redline cleaner is supposed to have the highest levels of PEA and is priced accordingly.

Thanks all for the very helpful feedback! Has anyone heard of or tried this stuff? They offer both a fuel and oil additive to be used in conjunction.

I am also a California resident and not only are our gas prices high but even the Top Tier fuel sellers seem to have problems with the gas that is related to the types of fuel blends required here.
I also have been staying in Bay Area several months per year, and have to pay doubled gas price there than in Dallas. I can never understand why the gas price in California is so high even if the special blends are required there. The State Government and Congressmen seem don’t care about the high gas price and have never try to do anything about it. This’s similar to the large homeless encampment now found in many city parks and empty lots even on the sidewalks in the Bay Area in recent years and those politicians seem don’t care to resolve the problem either.

What I’ve found in Bay Area is the Costco gas has dominated the retail gas supply, and it seems all car owners are going to Costco for gas. The line is long all day long everyday in every Costco gas station but very few cars getting gas from other gas stations. Luckily Costco gas is the Top Tier gas, and I feel comfortable to use it there although I use only Shell gas in Dallas.

I only run 91 octane in my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve turbo mainly because I want the extra power. I'm retired so I don't drive much which is good because that gas is about $5.40 a gallon in my small mountain town.
Other than higher octane, premium gas usually contains more or better detergents which is good to keep engine internal clean.

Anyway, I do two things as preventive maintenance: I add the recommended dosage of Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank every few months and also a bottle of Techron before each oil change. A lot of people claim MMO is snake oil but it has some solvent properties that keep things like the fuel level sensor float from gumming up. The Techron contains PEA (polyetheramine) which is a strong cleaner for injectors and MMO does not. Redline cleaner is supposed to have the highest levels of PEA and is priced accordingly.
I don’t use any of these fuel injector cleaners anymore as I believe the detergents in Top-Tier gas should be sufficient. Besides, those cleaners simply can’t reach certain critical areas such as intake valves for cleaning on direct-injection engines.

Reactions: AVC
Thanks all for the very helpful feedback! Has anyone heard of or tried this stuff? They offer both a fuel and oil additive to be used in conjunction.

Did you not see the recommendations for Techron?

Why are you looking at oil additives? If there was a way to make oil better, don't you think that the manufacturers would include this additive in their products?

Are you familiar with the term 'Snake oil'? And no, it's not for lubricating squeaking snakes.

Saw an article on why gas price in CA is much higher.
In summary..
1. only refineries in CA can make fuel for CA. Shocking, right?
2. special blend for CA (why #1)
3. higher gas tax
If one of the refineries goes into maintenance ... price goes way up, thanks to #1.

Good News is... price of 87 is now below $5.
;)
Highest I have seen this year was $6.89.

Saw an article on why gas price in CA is much higher.
In summary..
1. only refineries in CA can make fuel for CA. Shocking, right?
2. special blend for CA (why #1)
3. higher gas tax
If one of the refineries goes into maintenance ... price goes way up, thanks to #1.

Good News is... price of 87 is now below $5.
;)
Highest I have seen this year was $6.89.
Yep, crazy expensive to drive there IMO. I paid $3.45 here in the good ol' corrupt state of Pa a few days ago.

Yep, crazy expensive to drive there IMO. I paid $3.45 here in the good ol' corrupt state of Pa a few days ago.
I guess I get spoiled in Texas and can use the name-brand Shell gas I prefer for my CX-5 without hesitation. Currently it’s $2.69 on 87 regular at the Shell gas station near my house. But it’s at least $4.99 for 87 Shell gas in San Jose that is if I can find one near by. I simply gave up and waited in the line for Costco gas, currently at $4.35 per gallon for 87 regular.

Back