Front sway bar issue

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Ok I have had a noise from my front suspension for a while now and everywhere I took it couldn't figure it out. While working on my car this week I noticed that the rubber sway bar stay on the driver's side is no longer there. Now the sway bar can move laterally with just me pushing on it. I wanted to replace just the sway bar stay but Mazda doesn't sell just the stay, they sell the entire sway bar as an assembly. So here are my questions.

1 Does anyone know how I can replace just the stay?
2 What is the diameter of the stock front sway bar (I am hoping that maybe I can take it off another sway bar)
3 Are there any aftermarket front sway bars available for the P5 that I can buy alone (I have already done progress in the rear)

The pic below shoes a sway bar stay. It is right next to the bushing.

stay.JPG

Strange problem! The part diagram does not list a separate part number for the stay and shows it as part of the swaybar. Your best bet might be to source a used swaybar from a local junkyard. Or you could try to find the Racing Beat one off a Mazdaspeed Protege.

quick fix: get a short piece of fuel hose, big enough to fit over the sway bar, and clamp it in place with a hose clamp. alternately, you can get some bar clamps from grainger.

I appreciate the response. I will try the fuel hose route. I just noticed the stay is there is just moved about 2 inches away from the bushing. Should it be that far away? If not about how much space should there be? The progress sway bar in the back has no space at all.

Latest posts

Back