First oil change question

:
2019 CX-5
Message on dash says oil change needed. I've owned my 2019 CX-5 1 year but I only have 1,000 miles on it. Do I need to change the oil?

I change the oil in all of my new cars at 1k miles, first time.

money.jpg

That's a Honda, but I'd research that oil and may well change it at 1k anyway to remove initial wear particles. If Honda can get it, I can get it or an equal.

I'm guessing Honda says that to protect owners from aggressive dealers.

Here's what I do, and usually end up with an engine that doesn't burn oil.
After gentle warm-up,
0-100 miles baby it, less than 50% of max RPM & less than ~1/3 throttle
100 - 500 miles. Less than ~2/3 max RPM, No full throttle.
500 - 1000 miles less than ~3/4 max RPM, Little WOT
1000 miles change oil
1000 - 5000 miles drive it like I stole it! Hammer DOWN!
5000 miles. Change oil and drive it however I please.

Last edited:
That's a Honda, but I'd research that oil and may well change it at 1k anyway to remove initial wear particles. If Honda can get it, I can get it or an equal.

I'm guessing Honda says that to protect owners from aggressive dealers.

Here's what I do, and usually end up with an engine that doesn't burn oil.
After gentle warm-up,
0-100 miles baby it, less than 50% of max RPM & less than ~1/3 throttle
100 - 500 miles. Less than ~2/3 max RPM, No full throttle.
500 - 1000 miles less than ~3/4 max RPM, Little WOT
1000 miles change oil
1000 - 5000 miles drive it like I stole it! Hammer DOWN!
5000 miles. Change oil and drive it however I please.
Honda has been saying specifically in owner’s manual that don’t change the factory moly-rich break-in engine oil early; but change it according to the usual OCI. If you change factory oil at 1.000 miles because you worry about metal shavings which could harm the engine, that’s what the oil filter for.

Further, if you prefer changing the factory oil at 1,000 miles, you should also change your ATF at the first several thousand miles if you see how much metal shavings accumulated on the magnet when you drop the pan very early.

Message on dash says oil change needed. I've owned my 2019 CX-5 1 year but I only have 1,000 miles on it. Do I need to change the oil?
In theory your moly-rich factory oil should be still very effective with only 1,000 miles of service life. But for warranty reason you should follow Mazda recommended flexible OCI, which can be up to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first hence the message, and change the oil. I’d use OEM Mazda 0W-20 moly oil which has the same formula as factory oil for this oil change.

My 2019 Ridgeline says to leave the break-in oil in until the first oil change at 5000 miles.
So, if he only drives 1000 miles a year, he should keep the same oil in it for 5 years?
Somewhere between time and mileage, there's a happy medium.

Last week when I was "discussing" the rear brake issue with the dealer Service Manager (on my 3 year old 6-GT), I mentioned that I had already changed the oil four times since I bought it.
He looked me straight in the eye and said that wasn't enough, and that I should have changed it every six months. What a crock.
It only has 12,000 miles on it. I've done 4 changes in 12,000 miles, but he's telling me I need to change it every 2,000 miles, and that's one of the reasons they won't help cover the cost of the brakes.

As for the OP, I'd change the oil after the one year of ownership.
I'm like ColtX-5. I always change the oil early on a new car, and have never had an issue with any car being an oil burner.

The "one year" recommendation is typically due to contaminants in the oil that will affect the acidity and get worse over time, regardless of mileage. That, and moisture that won't fully evaporate with low mileage driving.

Considering the cost of a single annual oil change, I'd go for it for the peace of mind alone.

How is it possible to go only 1000 miles a year? If you are making really short trips without the car ever warming up, I think you should change the oil twice a year.

I change the oil in all of my new cars at 1k miles, first time.

Yeah I remember buying an accord once and they told me to come back 500 miles later to change the oil. The very next day I drove it like a rental car out of state through California mountains. Plenty of redlining in 3-4th gear. It was a lease.

Next few cars purchased not leased.........pretty much babied them first 1k miles.

Sorry hijack the thread since im going to ask similar question too. Dealer told me to service after my first 10000km. Recommended?

If you are still under warranty, then change the oil as MAZDA recommends. I don't subscribe to the first 7,500 mile oil change but, I also don't toss good oil at a 1,000 miles. I like a happy medium of the first change at ~ 3,000 miles. Ed

If you are still under warranty, then change the oil as MAZDA recommends. I don't subscribe to the first 7,500 mile oil change but, I also don't toss good oil at a 1,000 miles. I like a happy medium of the first change at ~ 3,000 miles. Ed
I usually do the first oil change at about ⅔ of the factory recommended OCI. For my 2016 CX-5, I did the first oil change at less than 5K miles, or 30% of oil life remaining showing on my Flexible oil life monitor display. I also try to use the oil for the first oil change with similar formulation such as moly-rich Mazda moly 0W-20 oil on my CX-5.

Sorry hijack the thread since I'm going to ask similar question too. Dealer told me to service after my first 10000km. Recommended?
Dealer said to wait for 10,000 Kms before the first oil change? I wouldn't wait that long.
Even dealerships can't make up their minds it seems. Speak to half a dozen different people at different dealers, and you'll get half a dozen different answers.
Even here on this forum, given the different thoughts and ideas everyone has, the consensus seems to be that 10,000 kms is too long to wait.
Best thing to do is to read other opinions, and then go with what you feel comfortable with.

Dealer said to wait for 10,000 Kms before the first oil change? I wouldn't wait that long.
Even dealerships can't make up their minds it seems. Speak to half a dozen different people at different dealers, and you'll get half a dozen different answers.
Even here on this forum, given the different thoughts and ideas everyone has, the consensus seems to be that 10,000 kms is too long to wait.
Best thing to do is to read other opinions, and then go with what you feel comfortable with.
just fyi, in most European countries the oil change interval for the 2.5L CX5 is 20k km (12,400 mi). And in the US, for the new Mazda 3 and CX30 with the same 2.5L engine, the interval is now 10k miles

just fyi, in most European countries the oil change interval for the 2.5L CX5 is 20k km (12,400 mi). And in the US, for the new Mazda 3 and CX30 with the same 2.5L engine, the interval is now 10k miles
Just to clarify my remark, the question from the OP was about when to do the very first oil change after purchasing new, and not necessarily about what the long term oil change interval should be after that.
Once we get that first interval sorted out here on the forum, then I think we can agree that subsequent oil changes should be done as per Mazda's recommendations.

Changed the oil in our new GTR last weekend at 1,600 miles. In my 45 years of changing oil, it was the darkest, blackest 1,600 mile oil I had have seen. Was planning on 5,000 mile intervals, but after seeing the condition of the oil at 1,600 miles, I'm going with 3,000 instead. Using factory filter and Mobile 1 5-30. Anyone here heard of the new oil formulation ILSAC GF6/API SP? Formulated for the GDI engines carbon problems.

Yup, the new GF6/SP standard that went into effect a few months ago is supposed to be a huge improvement with GDI carbon and timing chain issues. All manufacturers should have switched over by now

Back