Exhaust choices

Minimazda

:
Mazda 2 sport, 2012
I have to decide between the corksport Cat Back exhaust or the Race Pipe version. Can someone please give me a good explanation of each one and the differences of the two?

From what I can tell (I have not see or installed their exhaust) the cat back requires you to cut the stock exhaust after the second cat, and you then clamp it on. The race pipe goes all the way to the stock header and eliminates the secondary cat/resonator.

Corksport has some incredible instructions on their site, read through them and you should get a good idea of what you're in for.

I forgot completely about having to cut the exhaust for the cat back. You actually reminded me of that.

If you get the race pipe version, the resonator is placed where the factory 2nd cat/resonator was. If you don't want the race-pipe version, cutting the exhaust shouldn't be a big deal. You can even rent an exhaust pipe cutter from most auto-zone. Just keep in mind the biggest bottleneck in the stock exhaust (past the manifold) is the 2nd cat/resonator that the race-pipe version replaces.

So the non-race pipe version doesn't just bolt on?

So the non-race pipe version doesn't just bolt on?

Correct, you have to cut it to install.

Just go with the race pipe. Easiest to install yourself, and Corksport says it's only a couple dB louder than the regular one.

I'm kind of curious why it doesn't just bolt on at the axle..

Main reason I was asking that was because I just went and ordered the CS race pipe exhaust only to find out it's out of stock till the end of March...I knew a little bit about the difference but because I really do not want to cut my stock exhaust at all I've decided to wait...ever so patiently...

Less restrictive this way. There's other axle-back kits like from Racing Beat and HKS.

I think it must be -- I did the cat back option and cut my stock exhaust, and I noticed a pretty nice bump in responsiveness/power. I'm not sure how much power since I didn't dyno, but it now makes 2nd gear totally useable anyway. I did the CS SRI first and didn't notice that too much until I added the exhaust.

I have the cat-back and did not have to cut anything to install it.

Back