Environmental parameters?

Why do you keep calling it a "selenoid"? I believe you mean solenoid.
Because my auto-correct doesn't hit on it, and I'm not a mechanic or electrician.

One thing I've noticed in my 50 odd years of living on this planet is that people with bad attitudes tend to have more than their share of bad luck. Now, I don't really believe in bad luck per say, it seems people manifest things around them. I think it's because people who are easily irritated at certain things are very vocal about it, thus giving that APPEARANCE. I have had some AMAZING luck in life, too. For example, I have a laundry list of X gf's who I think are great people, who I still talk to. Almost no horror stories in my "love life". I have a ton of industry connections to FN, Surefire, KAC and many other lesser knows. Very high ups that I'm on a first-name basis with. I get some cool toys to play with, gratis. I consider that "lucky", as I shook the right hands at the right time. I was one of something like half a dozen people out of over 40 who graduated in my class, on time. I can point to any number of things and say "Man, I am lucky!". So don't just think because my Mazda s**** the bed, the rest of my life does, too. I just don't b**** about some things as much as others. Nor is this a dating, land-buying, or gun forum, or about academic or professional success, either (I love my job, both for the pay and for the position. Since we last brought the topic up, I have had a nearly 30% pay raise, and work a much better position for my resume, and have a schedule that I set. As long as I work 4 days a month, g2g.) Positive happy people manifest positive happy things, angry, negative people manifest unhappy, negative things into their lives. It's perhaps related to the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy (if you think everyone is out to screw you, you will probably get screwed). Well I'll keep that in mind as regards to my paycheck, biceps, and manhood. All of them are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!!! ROFL!

Now I'm not saying that's what happened here - I'm really not superstitious like that and I don't know all the particulars (whether the differential fluid was properly changed, how deep the water was, etc. etc. etc.) But I do think your attitude could stand some improvement. Life is too precious to be so negative about so many things. And please lose the hard-on you seem to have for this MikeM. character Oh, wait, that's me! :D

Mike, you're some guy on the forum who, quite frankly, as far as I know, is a dead-end for me, politically and socially. I could be totally wrong. You may be SOMEBODY to me, and I just don't know it, but brother? you have not sent me any gear to T&E, you have not PM'ed me any discount codes. You have not kicked any of my pets. You have done nothing to me, and very little "for" me (you do correct my spelling errors...). If you think I'm wrapped up around the axle about you, I think you're giving yourself a bit much credit. This is a forum. I come here for entertainment, and to answer/provide feedback on easy questions regarding the CX-5, and in general, shoot the s***. Not because I am obsessed with Mazda, not because I am in love with the platform, and not because I'm fishing for industry contacts. I don't believe Mazda has any industry contacts on this forum, from what I've seen, anyway. Back when I had a Z06, I did have the plant GM's cell number in my phone, and yes, it paid off on occasion, but this Mazda isn't a passion, it's a tool. Like a Glock. And it's malfunctioned. Unlike my Glocks. So I'm venting about it and chronicling the saga because it's cheap, and I've nothing better to do on my weeks off.

Since it was my first ticket it didn't affect my policy. Getting older was the reason. It happened again (policy cost went down) sometime during my mid 30s. My dad jokes he's now at the age where his policy is going up due to age even with a clean record. Actuarial math stuff.

Must be local regulations affecting policy plan costs. For example, insurance for my cheap little 84 VW GTI when in college in Massachusetts in 1996 was more than I paid for the car, but it was a "no fault" state, and therefore even more costly than insurance back home in Maine.
Interesting. Louisiana has some bad insurance costs, from what I read. My age has had zero to do with anything both in Louisiana, and Arkansas. My 370Z actually cost more to insure than my Z06, with comparable policies, I believe. My G20 (Sentra) cost almost as much to insure as my CX5, and many other oddities. Life is strange. I don't try to understand it, I just pay the bill.

I've taken CARS through water FAR deeper than that little creek that overflowed the road that MIKEM keeps harping on. I doubt that's what did it, very highly.

On a scale of 1-100, just how "very highly" do you doubt that flood water is what damaged your differential? (wink)

On a scale of 1-100, just how "very highly" do you doubt that flood water is what damaged your differential? (wink)

So...you resurrected this thread...when there is quite a sufficient failure analysis in another thread, dedicated to this exact incident, which I know for a fact you have seen before (posted in)?

On a scale of 1-100...how "troll like" do you think that is?

So...you resurrected this thread...when there is quite a sufficient failure analysis in another thread, dedicated to this exact incident, which I know for a fact you have seen before (posted in)?

Yes, I brought this thread back to life when I realized that it didn't come to a logical conclusion. Making sure the conclusion answers all the speculation is probably a good thing for those who don't read every single thread on this forum. Because if this was the only thread someone saw they would encounter a number of misleading and incorrect statements such as:

Unobtanium said:
Well, it got too cold for my Mazda today, and disabled the AWD. I read the manual, and it did not cover cold temps. Does anyone know at what temperature the AWD is disabled? I know 15*F is cold, but I've never had a vehicle disable critical traction systems because of it before. Not too impressed. Glad I got a killer warranty on this buggy!

Unobtanium said:
Because I splashed through a creek that was roughly as deep as ground clearance? If that truly is what did it, I'm dumping the fragile pos for a something reliable. Like a Chrysler or Landover or mini. Seriously, even they are tougher than that.

I just don't think that was it, or driving in the rain would be terrible...I mean...water splashes.

Unobtanium said:
I'm really not very happy with Mazda right now, and pretty disgusted that I bought into the reliability hype. No better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee (maybe worse, as a little cold weather never broke my Jeep's driveline, lol!), and much less fun.

Unobtanium said:
Selenoid failure. Whole diff needs to be replaced. Absolutely nothing to due with water getting in and freezing and blowing anything apart. Mazda is covering all of it.

Unobtanium said:
Yes, mazda blamed random failure. I saw where the vent hole and tube are. There is no way in hell water got in it. MikeM was making a good guess or going on a fishing expedition, I'm not sure which, but that isn't what occurred.

After all the false and incorrect quotes above, you should have manned up and apologized, not tried to pretend you didn't screw up by failing to follow the same factory service schedule (in terms of submerging the differential) that EVERY car has, namely changing out the fluids. The excuse that you took care of it in another thread doesn't help because most people don't read every thread.

Besides, this thread is very instructive, people can learn a lot by reading it (well at least now that they can see the failure was due to owner negligence and not a spell of cold weather)!

Yes, I brought this thread back to life when I realized that it didn't come to a logical conclusion. Making sure the conclusion answers all the speculation is probably a good thing for those who don't read every single thread on this forum. Because if this was the only thread someone saw they would encounter a number of misleading and incorrect statements such as:

After all the false and incorrect quotes above, you should have manned up and apologized, not tried to pretend you didn't screw up by failing to follow the same factory service schedule (in terms of submerging the differential) that EVERY car has, namely changing out the fluids. The excuse that you took care of it in another thread doesn't help because most people don't read every thread.

Besides, this thread is very instructive, people can learn a lot by reading it (well at least now that they can see the failure was due to owner negligence and not a spell of cold weather)!

So...instead of just providing a link to the other thread with: "Conclusion...link", you have decided to go on a diatribe, only the first few sentences of which above, I read. Got it. Troll on, Mike. Troll on.

So...instead of just providing a link to the other thread with: "Conclusion...link", you have decided to go on a diatribe, only the first few sentences of which above, I read. Got it. Troll on, Mike. Troll on.

Oh, you would have been happy if I simply provided a link to another thread?

Yah, sure, you betcha'!

I'm not happy, or unhappy, Mike. Just observing.

My observation was you started this thread but never finished it. And that your participation goes far beyond mere observing. I'm a participant here and so are you. Saying you are just "observing" is simply dishonest especially when you started this very thread and you started it on the false presumption that the CX-5 couldn't handle a little cold weather.

We now know that the failure of your AWD differential three weeks after driving through a flooded creek was due to neglecting to replace the differential fluid afterwards. This is pertinent information for any CX-5 owners who may stumble across this thread by searching for "driving through water" or the like.

Calling me a troll is uncalled for when it is you who decided not to finish what you started.

Back