DSMConvert's Airflow AFC - Frequently asked questions

kicker22705

:
03.5 Ti MSP
DSMConvert's Airflow AFC - Frequently asked questions (Updated 6/8/07)

I decided to put together a thread specific to common questions about DSMConvert's Airflow AFC. This is what i got from all 3 threads. i thought it might be helpful for those people who don't have time to read all 30+ pages of info.

General Questions about the AFC:

Q: What is a DSM Airflow AFC?

A: It is a Air/Fuel Controller based off the Split Second PSC1 Unit utilizing the R4 Software capable of tuning and datalogging.

Q: What is the R4 Software:

A: It's the software that allows you to tune, datalog, make, save, and trade maps for the AFC.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: $319.95 Shipped

Q: How do i order one?

A: Visit ProtegeGarage.com or click here

Q: What is the difference between the Version 1 and Version 2 DSM Airflow AFC?

A: "Version II...includes 4 logging channels in addition to the ones included with version I. The most noteable beign the ability to log wideband o2 signals on the same graph with rpm, boost, etc..."

Q: What does it look like?

A: Pictures are below.

Q: Does it come with Warrenty?

A: Yes. 2 Years Limited to ONLY Original Purchaser.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much HP/TQ will i gain with this unit.

A: On EvilMSP stock car: Stock boost: 1.7hp & 5.17tq 8psi: 19.87hp & 39.39tq 10psi: 26.11hp & 48.43. Dyno chart below.

Q: Will it work on flashed and unflahsed MSP ecu?

A: Yes, just specify if you are flashed/unflashed when you order.

Q: Will this cure the "hessitation?"

A: Yes.

Q: Is it plug and play?

A: No, splicing is require.

Q: Does it control timing?

A: Yes/No. The AFC can be ordered with timing retarded on a limited individual basis.

Q: Do i need to tune it before I install it on my car?

A: No, it comes preloaded and ready to go out of the box.

Boost Related Questions:

Q: Does it come with a boost controller?

A: No.

Q: Does it work with a manual boost controller or a electronic boost controller?

A. It works with both.

Q: Does it have a integrated Fuel Cut Defenser?

A: "It does to a certain extent. it will only control fuel cut up to the maps that we have set. the fcd is a "bonus" as a result of modifying the signal the ecu sees from the maf.

Q: How much Boost can i run?

A: "The AFC will work for any boost level, any size injector, and any size turbo you can come up with"

Q: How much boost can i run safely?

A: Depends on your engine and your map. On the Supermap it is not recommended to exceed 10psi.

Q: What boost maps does the unit come with?

A: Stock, 8 psi, 10 psi, and an overlaying Supermap.

Q: Whats a supermap?

A: All 3 maps (stock, 8psi, 10psi) integrated into one. The map will switch on the fly automatically depending on how much you are boosting.

Q: How does the AFC know how much boost the car is running?

A: "It has a built in map sensor which tells the afc how much boost you are using and adjusts the fuel map accordingly."

Tuning Related Questions:

Q: How is it tuned?

A: It comes with R4 Software to tune/datalog with a Laptop.

Q: How should i tune it?

A. 1. take it to a dyno and tune it there 2. send john the a/f and dyno results and he'll make you a new map for your particular weather conditions.

Q: Will a "--" amount of psi map work the same w/ a car w/ same amount w/ mods ex. dp/fmic/etc?

A. Yes, all maps come preloaded a little rich to so it can work w/ varying mods in varying weather conditions.

Q: Will MSP ECU ever learn around the AFC?

A: No.

Installation Instructions:
provided by CasopoliS
PSC1 Map Library:
provided by lcruz64

thats all i got so far, if you guys got anymore you would like to add, please be my guest. and if i got anything wrong, please correct me.

Attachments

• dyno.jpg
    dyno.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,480
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,749
Last edited:
Great Thread. Although I would like to see what this will do to a car with a aftermarket T-Back, and IC. :p Guess only time will tell. Also would like to see some user reviews. Pro's Con's i guess we will be able to tell how great it is by how many turn up forsale after the 20 that are going out are installed.

jeffmsp said:
great post. this thing is sweeeeet. i cant wait to get me one.

the install was a breeze. I'd highly recommend getting a heat shrink and soldering iron to do the job right.

any idea how the 10psi AFC gains would compare to a speed that just has an mbc set to 10psi?//...

jeffmsp said:
any idea how the 10psi AFC gains would compare to a speed that just has an mbc set to 10psi?//...

Yes....

Do the 8psi and 10psi gains include the gains from both the increase in boost AND the AFC, or is it just the AFC alone?

noclue119 said:
the install was a breeze. I'd highly recommend getting a heat shrink and soldering iron to do the job right.
Yea, I did the same. I'm not running perfectly yet. Still trying to work out some issues.

The gains are between stock and the AFC and the added boost. Something else that has been bugging me. The dyno shows gains over stock across the board at stock. Wouldn't stock make more horsepower under 4000 rpm's were it is way to lean? It's just more at risk of going BOOM! Also the so called hesitation we have all felt doesn't show up on the stock dyno run. It goes super rich and the power keeps climbing. Not saying anything bad about this product. I definatley want to get one. The stock Air/Fuel graph on the dyno scares the hell out of me.

kicker22705 said:
Q: Whats a supermap?

A: All 3 maps (stock, 8psi, 10psi) integrated into one. The map will switch on the fly automatically depending on how much you are boosting.

[/font]

Some questions...

1) So If I have a EBC with a high/low setting switch (high=10 low=6), and I hit the high boost switch in third gear (or whatever) the split second controller knows that I am running higher boost now and the map switch on the fly?

2) How does the controller know?

3) Anybody use this feature?

Saban said:
Some questions...

1) So If I have a EBC with a high/low setting switch (high=10 low=6), and I hit the high boost switch in third gear (or whatever) the split second controller knows that I am running higher boost now and the map switch on the fly?

I asked DSM this same question, and he said, YES it would just switch on the fly. I want to get a dual steeing EBC as well, I am not sure how the AFC knows to switch though.

my guess is that it may have a formula built into the controller or something to add x amount of fuel when x amount of boost is sensed kinda deal.

jeffmsp said:
my guess is that it may have a formula built into the controller or something to add x amount of fuel when x amount of boost is sensed kinda deal.

Yes...but how is the x amount of boost sensed? there no map sensor with the kit correct?

Saban said:
Yes...but how is the x amount of boost sensed? there no map sensor with the kit correct?

This thing needs the same thing that runs ur boost gauge, a intake manifold pressure tube so it will know.

That tube was the hardest part of the install. everything else was a breeze

Okay I get it. I didnt realize that you hooked up a vaccum line to the brain of the split second controller.

Back