DSMConvert's Airflow AFC - Frequently asked questions

hmm yes sticky would be nice to help those with questions...the afc has a built in map sensor which tells the afc how much boost you are using and adjusts the fuel map accordingly...As soon as I get the chance I'll have to post up a screen shot of the actual fuel maps...it basically a gigantic spreadsheet with incriments of 500 on the rpm axis and .5 psi on the boost/vac axis, combine this with the esc partial throttle feature and the afc is able calculate exactly which map value to use...which is great for those of you who spike b/c it will adjust for the spike and then readjust when your boost curve settles back down...

DSMConvert said:
hmm yes sticky would be nice to help those with questions...the afc has a built in map sensor which tells the afc how much boost you are using and adjusts the fuel map accordingly...As soon as I get the chance I'll have to post up a screen shot of the actual fuel maps...it basically a gigantic spreadsheet with incriments of 500 on the rpm axis and .5 psi on the boost/vac axis, combine this with the esc partial throttle feature and the afc is able calculate exactly which map value to use...which is great for those of you who spike b/c it will adjust for the spike and then readjust when your boost curve settles back down...

sounds very pimp

guys please don't clog up this thread with requests, lets keep it for FAQs for the time being...you can contact me via email regarding purchases...currently I have 5 on the shelf, after these are gone it will be another 2wks before I get more....

Since this unit will not totally cure fuel cut? Will hooking up a FCD along with this unit work? The JoeP unit messes with the MAF signal once boost is hit. Wouldn't having the JoeP FCD and the AFC both hooked up screw up the AFC's signal. What is the solution? What about NSN's fuel cut since it only clamps the signal when it's too much for the ECU? Has anyone been hitting fuel cut with just the AFC unit installed? Anyone have the AFC and a FCD installed together?

Do we need to worry about the fact that this unit changes the afc without adjusting timing?? I mean us flashed guys are running bumped timing.

I have a unichip installed right now and am wondering if this will work with the unichip or whether it's one or the other but not both.

Projekt Tuner said:
I have a unichip installed right now and am wondering if this will work with the unichip or whether it's one or the other but not both.
The UniChip already adjusts your fuel, you don't need this.

the unichip also costs alot more.

my car see temoeratures from -30 to +30, do you think the afc will work with this?

from what i've read, unichip didn't even mess w/ timing. not that it can't, but they just didn't opt to. can anyone confirm this?

The Unichip does alter timing. There is no reason to get rid of the UC for a fuel controller. The UC allows for much more precise tuning of the motor.

-mx3ownzj00

haha, i just found the post i was refering too. it was made by you, mx3ownzj00 lol. my bad, i misread what you said. me=owned.

"it will run on both with no ill affects. they didn't adjust the timing in the rpm band that the flash added some advancement. so you'll be running your regular timing curve at around 4K.

i think everyone should have their chip tuned specificly for your EXACT car afer purchasing anyways. then your can talk with your tuner about your goals and they can adjust your timing if needed in that section."

Last edited:
It should work as well as any other controller. Since it uses pre-set tables to control the amount of fuel you're injecting, you will probably want to re-tune it after any drastic changes in the climate. Or you could just tune it rich enough the first time so that when winter time rolls around and the turbo is pushing more air it won't be running too lean.

jeff yes the unit will work fine for you, though as indicated to get the max power possible out of it you'll have to send me a dyno chart after install and I can retune a new map and send it to you. as far as messing with a/f s without doing time...we adjust the a/fs according to the timing...now yes when you advance timing you generally want to richen up the a/fs as well...so to answer your question, adjusting a/fs without adjusting timing is fine, adjusting timing with adjusting a/fs is very bad.... the unichip does change timing and is probably a better choice for those doing serious serious mods...well actually i'd probably pick up an mpi instead...but for mild tuners the fact that ours doesnt require you to send it back everytime you need a change and its half the cost makes the AFC prob the best bang for the buck out there.....to be honest though I feel Unichip is a fairly decent company I dont believe they really have a firm place in the MSP community...on the serious mods end I think the MPI tuner does a better job and is right around the same price, on the low end obviously I prefer ours due to the significant cost differences and the fact it can be tuned right there right now...

Back