DSMConvert's Airflow AFC - Frequently asked questions

so dsm, you will have to maps? one with afc's done around the standard mazda program and one for the flashed? Since you are tuning around timing....?

at the moment we have the supermap for both flashed and unflashed cars. As soon as you guys start sending me dyno charts I'll have a ton of maps custom tailored... but the only real difference between the 2 ecus is that the flashed has timing slightly advanced and leaned out a little more between 3K and 5200 rpm range...its actually pretty pitiful what mazda did to band aid the problem...

lol dont want to interupt this thread..but dsm ive tried contacting you on this product but got no response. im sure youre busy but youve replied here on the boards more than once after my messages.

there is a new thread about the new flash, Im not going to do it but will you be able to work around this if someone decides to do this before they buy the AFC from you?

I'm current running the FM turbo kit with my p5 right now and thinking of going with either a fuel controler such as a Haltech F10x. Would I able to use this a/f controller at all with my setup so I can get rid of the BEGI afpr setup and maybe run some WRX 440 injectors instead? I just noticed all the MSP guys jumping on this and was wondering if it will work well with my setup and also would it be any gains from this setup vs a FMU?

What's differences and advantages with this fuel controller vs the f10x too? both does the same thing right?

Last edited:
I have a few questions.

I recently installed my AFC, and I'm very pleased with the results.
I currently have an SRI, removed VTCS, and ported intake manifold, and plan to add a downpipe and fmic in the near future. I also am planning on moving the MAF to the IC to TB pipe.

I know you have said that there is some padding in the fuel curve to compensate for variances in cars, but with all those things added and using the original AFC maps, would I be risking detonation?

I don't have a wideband yet, so I would be tuning blindly if I tried to alter the maps at this point.

I am particularly concerned about moving the MAF without changing the maps. My theory is that the air on the charge side is compressed to a smaller volume, so less volume of air is actually read by the MAF than would be on the other side, causing a lean condition. I know many people have moved theirs with no problems at all, but I think they were also on stock(very rich) fuel maps with no AFC. What are your thoughts DSMconvert?

Maybe I will hold off until I get a wideband before adding the last few things. I am not even talking about messing with boost yet. I will definitely get a wideband before then.

DP wont affect the overall A/Fs, but the FMIC surely will...um there is a safety cushion on the maps, but I would suggest cutting the boost back to 7-8psi and getting a dyno...once you send me the a/f map I can retune the maps for you specific application...as far as moving the maf to the pressurized side, I'm not a big fan as it wasnt designed for that...numerous DSMs have "sucked" the fin out of their mafs when they did this, but I'm not sure how the mazda mafs would hold up...you have an afc to control your fuel, so there really isnt any reason to mess around with moving the maf in my opinion.....on a side rant I still have yet to receive one single dyno map...there are over 20 of these things out there so someone needs to get me a map so I can start working on more maps to distribute...

02 while my unit will allow you to run bigger injectors and do everything you need on teh a/f side of things, I always suggest a stand alone for built motor/severe turbo applications so that you can also have timing control.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to fool with it yet, since I can't get my hands on a laptop to use, but at one point you mentioned data logging... Is there a way to know what the duty cycle is on my injectors using your afc? How does the logging work? Is it possible to connect a wideband to the AFC instead of the stock O2 for better tuning?

No, as far as I know you cannot connect a WB O2 to the AFC. That's not critical though since the AFC runs off of tables and only uses the O2 sensor to know when the ECU is switching from closed to open loop so it can modify the values. Using a WB 02 on conjunction with your stock O2 will allow you to better modify the table values in the AFC. Or some WB's (like the Innovative LM1) can emulate a narrow band signal for the stock ECU so you can put that in place of the stock sensor.

(DSMConvert, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

With people looking into upgrading to a disco potato GT28RS (after chaning all the nessacry stuff) will keeping this AFC be a good choice? Or should investing into a MPI be more wise? Thinking of keeping the cost down and hopefully keeping the car close to stock as possible!

Oh on a side note, please answer this question... Will this help fuel economy??? I know it'll make the car richer and it's now boosting at 10psi before change the settings in the BC. But if you run it in stock will it help alot? Here in Canada I've been running of 94 these last couple of months, and now prices have gone up, I've been forced to downgrade to 91. Really, there isn't much a diff since we never use the octane to its max anyways, but ever since I downgraded to 91 my fuel econmy has dropped considerably! I'm not too sure what you guys can do with 10L of fuel but I only achieve anywhere from 125 - 160KM with 10L of fuel. Is that right? Also thats with normal driving, passign 4k RPM in 1 - 3 gear... and rarely hitting 4th!

Last edited:
the afc actually will lean out hte car so your gas mileage should improve...well if you can resist the gas pedal anyways....yes the afc was originally tuned for CA 91...

nice... but you answered my 2nd question.. getting a bigger turbo (once my warrenty expires.... LOL) should I keep this or head over to MPI territory???

Sushi-Monster said:
nice... but you answered my 2nd question.. getting a bigger turbo (once my warrenty expires.... LOL) should I keep this or head over to MPI territory???

considering that changing your turbo will drastically change your fuel and air needs, the MPI will probably be better for you once you upgrade

Improved mileage

Sushi-Monster said:
Oh on a side note, please answer this question... Will this help fuel economy??? I know it'll make the car richer and it's now boosting at 10psi before change the settings in the BC. But if you run it in stock will it help alot? Here in Canada I've been running of 94 these last couple of months, and now prices have gone up, I've been forced to downgrade to 91. Really, there isn't much a diff since we never use the octane to its max anyways, but ever since I downgraded to 91 my fuel econmy has dropped considerably! I'm not too sure what you guys can do with 10L of fuel but I only achieve anywhere from 125 - 160KM with 10L of fuel. Is that right? Also thats with normal driving, passign 4k RPM in 1 - 3 gear... and rarely hitting 4th!

Before installing the AFC I was getting 340 km/tank using 91 octane. This was with a moderately aggressive driving style. I could stretch this out to 360 km city or 550 km on the highway cruising at 130-140 kmh. Currently, I am on my second tank since the install and I am already at 360 km with a quarter tank left. The first tank after the install yielded 420 km for an almost 20% gain in fuel economy. I was even driving more aggressively during this time since I was happy to have the old MSP acceleration back. I have been a bit more conservative this tank and I expect to get about 450 km out of the tank.

R

jus10 msp said:
hows everyones afc unit doing?

Doing fine. This thing is friggin' tight! I plan to take it to the dyno soon, so we will see what kind of gains it yields, but from the point of driveability this thing is a must-have if you are modded moderately and want to keep your sanity.

R

Yay-Boost said:
Since this unit will not totally cure fuel cut? Will hooking up a FCD along with this unit work? The JoeP unit messes with the MAF signal once boost is hit. Wouldn't having the JoeP FCD and the AFC both hooked up screw up the AFC's signal. What is the solution? What about NSN's fuel cut since it only clamps the signal when it's too much for the ECU? Has anyone been hitting fuel cut with just the AFC unit installed? Anyone have the AFC and a FCD installed together?

With the mods listed in my sig I was getting FC ALL the time before the AFC install. Especially since it has gotten colder here in Ottawa (-20 degrees Celsius sometimes). On really cold days I had to drive like an little ol' granny for fear I would shake my car apart. This is WITH a Joe P FCD adjusted as much as I dared. It was even worse before the addition of the FCD.

After the AFC install, the first thing I immediately noted was how the FC had dissappeared and how eager the MSP was. I could floor it and cook the tires without a hint of FC (moderately cool day; -5 degrees Celsius). Much, much stronger and immediate response than pre-AFC. Before the AFC getting up to speed on the highway was tedious since FC loomed around every corner. After the AFC, 160kmh would come and go in a flash.

There is still a bit of FC on the most frigid days, but nothing to complain about for sure. While I don't get a real hesitation around 3700 anymore, I would say that there is a bit of a flat spot in the power band where the hesitation was. Flamers note: this "flat spot" is barely noticeable whereas you couldn't miss the hesitation before.

All in all, a good buy I say (IMHO).

R

Back