Does your MPG meet your expectations?

Does your Mazda CX-5's MPG meet expectations?

• 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
2.5 awd, I selected meets expectations. I'm still under 2k miles, but so far I'm fine with my mpg. My lowest was just yesterday at 24.5, but it has been very cold the last week. My highest is 28.

My commute is 20 miles each way, stop and go traffic entire time. Speed limit is 35, 45, and 55. I drive with flow of traffic, which means accelerating pretty quickly.

But for a crossover, and the way I drive on my commute, I'm satisfied. My engine isn't broken in yet, and its been cold outside, so I do expect to see a little increase, but I'm fine with it..

I have exceeded the 30MPG mark multiple times, but never in city streets nor stop-and-go traffic. I am an aggressive driver, but I drive at constant speed. Best tank so far was 31.5 (calculated). Last leg of a trip I returned from was 31MPG (trip meter), which included stretches of 60 MPH but also long sections of 70~75.

My only input before buying was EPA I didn't expect anything real world from them so I had no expectations. I am happy with the MPG

I get about 21-22 mpg combined on my 2015 2.5L FWD with 6k miles. I voted for FAILS but that could also be because we drive on freeways with lots of elevation changes.

I get about 21-22 mpg combined on my 2015 2.5L FWD with 6k miles. I voted for FAILS but that could also be because we drive on freeways with lots of elevation changes.

Must be in san diego?
Nothing kills MPG quite like an uphill onramp into 75MPH traffic followed by a steep downhill offramp into a red traffic light.

On the highway our 2.0 AWD consistently gets MPG in the 29-32 MPG range, this by far exceeded my expectations. Overall getting 26 MPG or so but that's majority city driving. 3.5 years of ownership, very happy with our purchase.

Until recently I got 30-ish MPG but the temperature just dropped outside drastically and I am now mysteriously getting 26-28.

On the highway, doing under 70 with very few passengers and little load, no wind and temps above 0, the 2.5L AWD can get as good of mileage as a Mazda6. On a recent trip of around 300 miles, my CX-5 read 39mpg. My fuelly account confirmed it. In mixed driving, the fuel economy is still better than most, but not awesome. These things consume a huge amount of fuel when cold.

A big thank you to everyone who has responded so far!
I am enjoying all of the responses and comments.

We have a total of 53 responses so far, I am hoping for at least 100 responses before we can look at any possible trends.

Still hoping for some more responses to get a larger sample size...

So far from this poll, 43% of CX-5 2.5L AWD owners feel the gas mileage fails their expectations but 33% of CX-5 2.5L FWD owners feel the gas mileage fails their expectations. It supports my point as more AWD CX-5's suffers poorer gas mileage than FWD CX-5's. I wish the questions were whether their CX-5 could meet EPA's fuel economy estimates which should get rid of personal opinions as many people would satisfy the gas mileage at 28 mpg on the highway for an AWD CUV, but in fact it's still failed to meet 30 mpg EPA highway rating.

There are only 15 2.5 FWD. I would say that for this low number of respondents, the numbers are about the same.
For example, if only 1 more person would say fail, it would be 6/16 = 37.5%
Therefore, your conclusion is premature and possibly incorrect.

The reason I settled on wording the question that particular way was because there were owners who might not ever expect to meet EPA standards because of their individual driving style or geographical location. I was curious to show if it met the drivers expectations for a vehicle of it's configuration, and if it was indeed the AWD owners who were least satisfied.

I believe that because the AWD is an "On-Demand" system, the EPA standardized testing method does not account or include for all of the actual real life AWD usage.

To further test this theory, I would want to disconnect the Rear AWD electric clutch coupler to deactivate the AWD system, forcing the AWD into FWD mode only.

So what will be your expectation?
Keep in mind that a always disconnected clutch AWD still carries the extra weight and still has friction losses in the PTU and drive shaft as well as half of the AWD clutch. Also, compared with normal AWD on dry paved road, the AWD clutch will be disengaged most of the time.

So what will be your expectation?
Keep in mind that a always disconnected clutch AWD still carries the extra weight and still has friction losses in the PTU and drive shaft as well as half of the AWD clutch. Also, compared with normal AWD on dry paved road, the AWD clutch will be disengaged most of the time.

Yes, I would want to keep all other drag, weight and parasitic losses the same.

I would then expect to see the EPA rating easier achieved.

There are only 15 2.5 FWD. I would say that for this low number of respondents, the numbers are about the same.
For example, if only 1 more person would say fail, it would be 6/16 = 37.5%
Therefore, your conclusion is premature and possibly incorrect.
Did I say "so far from this poll"? I only stated the fact of this poll at time of my post. It's not a scientific poll and it'll never reach to a "conclusion"! You can always pick and choose things to your favor. Unfortunately your prediction is incorrect, now more owners from FWD CX-5 satisfy their gas mileage - 31% of CX-5 2.5L FWD owners feel the gas mileage fails their expectations.

I believe that because the AWD is an "On-Demand" system, the EPA standardized testing method does not account or include for all of the actual real life AWD usage.

To further test this theory, I would want to disconnect the Rear AWD electric clutch coupler to deactivate the AWD system, forcing the AWD into FWD mode only.

From fueleconomy.gov:"Using 4-wheel drive reduces fuel economy. Four-wheel drive vehicles are tested in 2-wheel drive. Engaging all four wheels makes the engine work harder and increases transfer case and differential losses." (Emphasis added.)

Here is the link for the entire page: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

Since the CX-5's AWD system is more predictive than reactive is it fair to say it's spending more time in AWD than the competitors?

Back