Does our MP3 have LSD?

fatfreevw

The simple days of just doing a burn out are not true anymore, so I was wondering if the MP3 has a limited slip. Thanks

Also does anyone have a link to a jap spec intake cam?

Thanks

Nope, unfortunately our MP3 does not have and LSD, but you can buy one from Quiafe (spelling) or KAAZUSA. The Quiafe (spelling) unit sells for about $1199. go to Corksport.com for the intake cam. Goodluck

What does an LSD do anyway? I guess it helps with traction but can someone explain this for some of us? Where would you install it? Would it replace the stock differential? How is it better?

Shawn said:
What does an LSD do anyway? I guess it helps with traction but can someone explain this for some of us? Where would you install it? Would it replace the stock differential? How is it better?

Basically, a LSD transfers the power from the wheel that slip to the wheel that grip. Let's say you're taking a left turn at a pretty festive speed, your car rolls to the right which lifts up your inside(driver side) tires. As you step on the accelerator to power out of the turn, the inside tire will spin because of the stock differential. With a LSD, some of the power is transferred to the outside tire there by giving you more grip and speed on the turn.

Gotcha!
If anyone else wants to learn about this stuff in more dept, go here:

HowStuffWorks

You can learn almost everything you need to know about automobiles. Sometimes a little too in dept but great!

A limited slip dif...

Doesn't transfer power from one wheel to another. Your getting caught up in marketing.

All it really does is allow both wheels to spin at the same speed. Which happens to feel like its "transferring power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip."

An open dif. is like having one wheel drive in a two wheel drive car. An LSD is like having two wheel drive in a two wheel drive car.

There is a lot of technicla junk about it, but that the basic..."How Stuff Works" will probably tell you better than I did.

Re: A limited slip dif...

StuttersC said:
Doesn't transfer power from one wheel to another. Your getting caught up in marketing.

All it really does is allow both wheels to spin at the same speed. Which happens to feel like its "transferring power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip."

An open dif. is like having one wheel drive in a two wheel drive car. An LSD is like having two wheel drive in a two wheel drive car.

There is a lot of technicla junk about it, but that the basic..."How Stuff Works" will probably tell you better than I did.

You're thinking of a locking differential when the two wheels are given the same amount of torque.

Here's a quote from howstuffworks

The solution to these problems(open differential) is the limited slip differential (LSD), sometimes called positraction. Limited slip differentials use various mechanisms to allow normal differential action when going around turns. When a wheel slips, they allow more torque to be transferred to the non-slipping wheel.

Back