Do you need to replace fuel filter every two years?

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
I see a post on Reddit said Mazda require owners to replace their fuel filter every two years or 30K miles whichever come first. How come my dealership never said anything about fuel filter, I only have 10k on my cx-5 right now, but it is about 2 years by now. I am not sure should I go to dealership to replace it, or just wait until I hit 30k miles? I always do oil change myself, I don't see any how to on internet for change fuel filter on a cx-5. Does anyone DIY this before?

I see a post on Reddit said Mazda require owners to replace their fuel filter every two years or 30K miles whichever come first. How come my dealership never said anything about fuel filter, I only have 10k on my cx-5 right now, but it is about 2 years by now. I am not sure should I go to dealership to replace it, or just wait until I hit 30k miles? I always do oil change myself, I don't see any how to on internet for change fuel filter on a cx-5. Does anyone DIY this before?

Rather than trust a Reddit post why not check the maintenance schedule in the manual?

There is no mention of replacing the fuel filter.

Rather than trust a Reddit post why not check the maintenance schedule in the manual?

Agreed. Even if I consider to change the fuel filter, it would be at 100,000 miles later... ;)

Our '98 Honda CR-V with 180,000 miles still has original fuel filter. It's more important to use top-tier gas from newer gas stations where their underground tank should be in better condition.

They posted a maintenance schedule form Mazda, it shows Mazda recommend 24 months REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER.

They posted a maintenance schedule form Mazda, it shows Mazda recommend 24 months REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER.

Well, here's a link to the Mazda USA site 2015 CX-5 service schedule. It does mention replacement at 60,000KM for cars in Mexico. Nothing about cars in the US or 24 months. I would say it's safe to assume that the schedule on this link is reliable and official, vs what may have been posted on Reddit.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2015/2015-cx5-maintenance-schedule.pdf

You sure you're not getting mixed up with the diesel model which does require a filter every 2 years? The gasoline model only has a course strainer in the tank.

You sure you're not getting mixed up with the diesel model which does require a filter every 2 years? The gasoline model only has a course strainer in the tank.

So, we are good for 10 years? I drive very little per year, I hope I can save up my maintenance cost in the 8 years and sold the car after 8 years.

Well, here's a link to the Mazda USA site 2015 CX-5 service schedule. It does mention replacement at 60,000KM for cars in Mexico. Nothing about cars in the US or 24 months. I would say it's safe to assume that the schedule on this link is reliable and official, vs what may have been posted on Reddit.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2015/2015-cx5-maintenance-schedule.pdf

Okay, so when do you think we need to replace it? replace with fuel pump together?

Much older cars with metal fuel tanks required this to be done more often. Nowadays file tanks are plastic so rust is not nearly as prevalent, fuel is cleaner also. The fuel pumps house a screen filter to eradicate large debris, followed up by a "lifetime filter." But the need to filter gas beyond that is less than it used to be. Some cars still have fuel filters but the necessity to change a filter every 100k miles goes to show the extremely low need to require it considering the amount of gas that passes through the system in that time frame. That being said, fuel pumps are also set to be a lifetime part. So if you start to experience hesitation or symptoms that are related to a faulty or clogged fuel pump, you simply replace them both. Because the pumps are made so precisely for their application, when they wear down its due to drawing to much amperage from straining against a clogged fuel filter. And because it's better to filter the fuel before you pump it through precision pumps it is best housed in the fuel tank itself before the pump or within it. In a sense you put the horse before the cart.

So unless you test the fuel systems amperage and determine its drawing more amperage than it should or the fuel pressure is slow to build and low at charge, there really is no need because things have just gotten better in the world of fuel and materials for delivering fuel in the vehicle.

I researched a little bit to discover the answer to this question because I haven't seen a fuel filter in forever since 96'. The best answer I could find was a culmination of information that led me to infer what I have just wrote.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Much older cars with metal fuel tanks required this to be done more often. Nowadays file tanks are plastic so rust is not nearly as prevalent, fuel is cleaner also. The fuel pumps house a screen filter to eradicate large debris, followed up by a "lifetime filter." But the need to filter gas beyond that is less than it used to be. Some cars still have fuel filters but the necessity to change a filter every 100k miles goes to show the extremely low need to require it considering the amount of gas that passes through the system in that time frame. That being said, fuel pumps are also set to be a lifetime part. So if you start to experience hesitation or symptoms that are related to a faulty or clogged fuel pump, you simply replace them both. Because the pumps are made so precisely for their application, when they wear down its due to drawing to much amperage from straining against a clogged fuel filter. And because it's better to filter the fuel before you pump it through precision pumps it is best housed in the fuel tank itself before the pump or within it. In a sense you put the horse before the cart.

So unless you test the fuel systems amperage and determine its drawing more amperage than it should or the fuel pressure is slow to build and low at charge, there really is no need because things have just gotten better in the world of fuel and materials for delivering fuel in the vehicle.

I researched a little bit to discover the answer to this question because I haven't seen a fuel filter in forever since 96'. The best answer I could find was a culmination of information that led me to infer what I have just wrote.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your information, that really make sense. Now days lot part become lifetime parts, which is why I only drive it for ten years then sell it.

I am 40,000kms now in Mexico and never changed the fuel filter.
All my service visits are to the official Mazda dealer.

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante Tapatalk

I was told (a while ago) by an employee of Amoco Research labs, to never buy gas at a station that is getting a gasoline delivery because the tanker truck pouring gas into the underground storage tank stirs up any sediment that is present in that underground tank and the sediment will be sucked up with the gasoline by the retail delivery pump and go right into your cars gas tank to eventually clog your gas filter. He also said that gas is thin and the sediment drops quickly. This sounded believable to me, and I avoid buying gas when I see the big tanker truck making a delivery. Has anyone else heard this?

I was told (a while ago) by an employee of Amoco Research labs, to never buy gas at a station that is getting a gasoline delivery because the tanker truck pouring gas into the underground storage tank stirs up any sediment that is present in that underground tank and the sediment will be sucked up with the gasoline by the retail delivery pump and go right into your cars gas tank to eventually clog your gas filter. He also said that gas is thin and the sediment drops quickly. This sounded believable to me, and I avoid buying gas when I see the big tanker truck making a delivery. Has anyone else heard this?

This was true quite a few years ago but not so much anymore. The storage tanks now days are have good filtering systems and electronic monitoring for water and stuff that doesn't belong in there. By shopping at the newer, high volume stations, your risk of bad gas is minimal.

Sam

Back