Do You Love Your Mazda? Ditch That 0W-20 Oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting data on clearance. As an aside, the Acura 3.2 engine, spec'd for 5W20, is pretty much bullet proof. Easily going well beyond 200k mi on conventional 5W20.

The skyactiv motor is essentially the Mazda L engine with new pistons, the 4-2-1 manifold, probably a revised cylinder head and direct injection. If you remove the engine cover of the skyactiv and the older 2.5 they are strikingly similar. The block is the same and I highly doubt Mazda tinkered with the bearings specifically for the newer version... thats an uncecessary investment for a brand that doesnt have the money to do that even if they really wanted to.

You need to stop. Please just stop. You have nothing but personal opinions throughout this whole thread.

The Mazda MZR (L) does not share the same block with the Skyactiv engines. They are completely different.

^2nd that..I will only respond to beer related posts in this thread from here..enjoying Burley Oak homegrown session while visiting the area...

Just a reminder that there has been zero evidence posted that the 5w-30 would give superior protection in this engine. Just some tin-foil hat theory about CAFE and regional differences. Please base your decisions (in general, not just about oil) on hard evidence, not what random people post online.

Funny you say that, because you come in here contradicting my logical theories with NOTHING. Not even your ideas as to why you think 0w20 provides better protection then 5w30. In terms of contribution on this thread, and probably this whole forum you have done absolutely NOTHING. Below is a quote by Red MC, who properly states his opinion about what he thinks regarding this matter. you could either make yourself useful or simply not comment on my thread.

Well, the first part of that is conjecture. I'm pretty sure Mazda's engineers know a lot more about the oil requirements of their engines than anyone in this forum.

I think you have the second part backwards. The higher viscosity oil experiences higher shearing forces than the lower viscosity oil, so it should experience more degradation due to shearing. Also, the lower viscosity oil flows through the filter at a higher rate, so it is getting recirculated more often and is staying cleaner. Haven't you noticed that recommended oil change intervals have been increasing even as recommended viscosity is decreasing?

Increasing fuel economy is certainly one motivation for using lower viscosity oil. But so is increasing power and torque. In percentage terms, the power and torque gain is bigger than the fuel economy gain. Even without any CAFE standards to worry about, there are multiple advantages of using a lower viscosity oil, and no real disadvantages if the engine is designed for it. The limiting factor has been engine materials and manufacturing processes. As they've gotten better over the decades, dimensional tolerances have gotten tighter and are more thermally stable, the finished surface roughness of machined surfaces is better controlled, etc., etc. As I mentioned many pages back, with tighter clearances you can support the same loads with thinner films.

Given that Mazda recommends either 0W-20 or 5W-30, I think it's perfectly acceptable to choose 5W-30. I just don't see any technical justification for saying it provides better protection or has any effect on the longevity of the engine.

Thank you for the logically laid-out respond. I see what you are saying and I understand that their are two sides in concern to this matter.

What I suggest is for anyone to try ONE oil change with 5w30 oil. This is all you need to do to gather a properly formulated opinion on which oils are best. What Ive posted in this thread is almost entirely information that Ive gathered on my own.

You select people cant just come in here and start arguing that 0w20 is better with absolutely zero ideas or theories and ZERO experiment with using the oil I mention. It provides absolutely zero contribution to this forum.

Now if someone who tries 5w30 has bad things to say about it and chooses to switch back to 0w20, thats a different story..

Last edited:
^2nd that..I will only respond to beer related posts in this thread from here..enjoying Burley Oak homegrown session while visiting the area...

You can talk about beer as much as you like. Youre only continuing to make the thread active so more people can see and input :)

releastically it shouldn’t extend past 20c either.

Its just off the cuff comments like this that are just your idiotic opinion with no basis. They all have the same upper limit that extends beyond 40C ambient because they all know that limit cannot be reached without boiling the coolant in the engine and all the oils listed are quite capable to that point. So would 0W/10 if it were on there and so would 0W/0 if it existed.

Ill accept that level of collateral damage via highlighting the fact that your assertions aren't rooted in facts anywhere near enough to support your level of fervor to the extent that we may as well utilize bandwidth discussing our preferred adult beverages. Nothing personal just my opinion based on my own experiences and lack of observed 0w20 fails..unless I'm just missing them.

Last edited:
Ill accept that level of collateral damage via highlighting the fact that your assertions aren't rooted in facts anywhere near enough to support your level of fervor to the extent that we may as well utilize bandwidth discussing our preferred adult beverages. Nothing personal just my opinion based on my own experiences and lack of observed 0w20 fails..unless I'm just missing them.

Well carry on the conversation then.

I never said that 0w20 causes engine failures. I was mentioning that the engine runs and feels better with thicker oil and you're just not going to know that from ignorance or being unmotivated to actually get up and try something so you can see what people are talking about. just continue to talk about your beer in the meantime.

I mostly see you repeating what you obviously feel pretty strongly about but I (plenty others here also) just have little to no motivation to experiment or see any reason to believe that thicker or moly or aforementioned unicorn jizz essence oil will bring enlightenment to my vehicle or my visceral experiences with it. I am hugely more motivated to give to the victims of harvey flooding.

Last edited:
I mostly see you repeating what you obviously feel pretty strongly about but I (plenty others here also) just have little to no motivation to experiment or see any reason to believe that thicker or moly or aforementioned unicorn jizz essence oil will bring enlightenment to my vehicle or my visceral experiences with it. I am hugely more motivated to give to the victims of harvey flooding.

Well, I guess that means you have no place in a mazda forum then. Why dont you find a beer forum or something? I mean, you can talk about it here if you want. I definetely dont mind the extra views!

Funny you say that, because you come in here contradicting my logical theories with NOTHING. Not even your ideas as to why you think 0w20 provides better protection then 5w30. In terms of contribution on this thread, and probably this whole forum you have done absolutely NOTHING. Below is a quote by Red MC, who properly states his opinion about what he thinks regarding this matter. you could either make yourself useful or simply not comment on my thread.

Oh look at this cool guy trying out some Ad Hominem. The burden of proof is on you: the guy claiming people who use 0w-20 per manufacturers guidelines don't "love their mazda." or did I read that title wrong.

I don't know if 5w30 is better than 0w20 because you haven't provided a single data point. No performance benchmarks. No lab reports. Not even a before and after shot. Literally nothing but anecdotes of you allegedly hearing a difference (how you determine which of the two means the engine is running objectively better is also a mystery).

I'll continue using the oil that Mazda recommends until it is proven (not someone's unfounded opinion) that it is a better choice for the engine.

I suggest everyone else do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back