DIY maintenance during warranty

CO CX5

2020 CX-5 Reserve
So this is my first new car with a warranty. I like to change my own oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Do you do your own maintenance while under warranty? Do you keep your receipts for oil and filters etc.? Document mileage? What are the rules just in case you have a warranty issue?

I change my own oil while under warranty, I assume it doesn't void it. I keep a folder that stores all maintenance items. Receipts for oil, filters, dealer work receipts, applicable TSBs and recall notices. I also keep a spread sheet that has a column for date, mileage and description of oil used and type of maintenance with notes about purchase dates, filter names etc. If the motor breaks from us messing up an oil change then it is on us. If the motor breaks because of a defect it should be on them.

Theoretically, you just need to keep records and receipts as the mfg cannot require you to use their dealers to keep the warranty in effect. Since it's a new car, start a maintenance logbook - bookstores sell them or you can find templates online. Or go with fully online records like fuelly.com. The logbook entry should certainly document the date, car odometer reading, and a good description of the service performed, including things like what viscosity and type of oil was used. Attach any receipts for fluids/parts to the logbook entry.

While DIY is certainly Okay, I do think there is some merit to using the dealer for service during the warranty period so there is no excuse for Mazda and/or the dealer to not warranty something using the argument that a service was not properly performed. It just removes an opportunity for argument. And if you need the dealer to "go to bat" for you with Mazda, they're more likely to do so if they've serviced the car. It's a tradeoff between expense and potential hassles.

If you want to do more-often oil changes but also want to have dealer service records, one option is to halve the normal interval, do the extra oil changes yourself (using an OEM filter), and use the dealer for the others. Keep the extra oil changes "secret".

- Mark

Last edited:
Same here, keep all your oil and filter receipts, and somehow log when you changed it. I use an app on my phone called Car Minder. Let's me keep track of all maintenance and repairs I perform, and it can be set up to remind you when services are due, like tire rotations, filter replacements, etc. You can also enter all your gas purchases and it calculates mileage. If you don't enter gas purchases, you need to remember to update the miles traveled so the reminders stay on schedule. You can download the data to a spreadsheet too. I just wish the app let me photograph receipts and store them too.

Mark makes a good point about dealer service records. I don't worry about that for routine stuff like oil changes, but tougher service like transmission checks would be good to have dealer records for. Our Subaru has a CVT with a warranty extended to 100K miles by Subaru because of the problems they have had. I make sure it goes to the dealer for the mandated 30K mile checks (even though they don't really do anything except check fluid I believe).

I do all of my own routine maintenance from day 1.
My vehicles never see the dealership again unless there is a recall/TSB.

I keep track of all of the maintenance in a spreadsheet on my computer.
I even take a picture of the maintenance products (oil, filter, ect) and add them to the file.

So this is my first new car with a warranty. I like to change my own oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Do you do your own maintenance while under warranty? Do you keep your receipts for oil and filters etc.? Document mileage? What are the rules just in case you have a warranty issue?
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.

IMO you should follow Mazda recommended Flexible OCI for your new 2020 CX-5 GT-R, there’s no need to change the oil early which is the waste of money and bad to the environment. Flexible OCI is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months based on on-board computer calculation. The UOA thread will show you 7,500-mile OCI is very safe to use with good oil. Other areas such as in Europe they use 12K or even 17.5K OCI without any issues. If you’re really concerned on 7,500-mile maximum OCI, you can go ~5,000 miles OCI.

More importantly you want to use good 5W-30 oil, and I’d use an oil which meets or exceeds the latest SP / GF-6 standard such as Idemitsu 5W-30 full synthetic.

Also make sure to use correct OEM oil filter on your 2.5T which is different from 2.5L. Factory-installed Japanese Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter had been available in the US since 2016 for 2.5T in gen-2 CX-9, but got superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter in 2019.

Oil for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo

SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

The rules and requirements are outlined in your Owner's Manual - link here.

Under Maintenance and Care - Introduction, the manual states:

To continue warranty eligibility and to protect your investment, it is your responsibility to properly maintain your vehicle according to factory recommended schedules outlined in this manual. As part of this you must keep your maintenance records, receipts, repair orders and any other documents as evidence this maintenance was performed. You must present these documents, should any warranty coverage disagreement occur. Failure to do so can result in your warranty being voided either in whole or in part.

This evidence may consist of the following:
  • The Mazda Scheduled Maintenance Record, refer to the Warranty Booklet, must be completely filled out showing mileage, repair order number, date for each service, and signed by a qualified automotive service technician who service vehicles.
  • Original copies of repair orders or other receipts that include the mileage and date the vehicle was serviced. Each receipt should be signed by a qualified automotive service technician.
  • For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement.
NOTE: If you elect to perform maintenance yourself or have your vehicle serviced at a location other than an Authorized Mazda Dealer, Mazda requires that all fluids, parts and materials must meet Mazda standards for durability and performance as described in this manual.

In the manual, under Scheduled Maintenance, there are a few charts that detail service intervals, as well as what to inspect/replace/lubricate/clean/tighten at specific mileages/lengths of time.

Under Owner Maintenance, the manual lists part and fluid requirements and recommendations, and it also details how to correctly inspect fluid levels.

For my Mazda, so far I have done all of the basic maintenance and inspections myself. I keep a logbook and detail all work done, with date and current vehicle mileage. I keep all receipts for fluids and parts used during service.

There are tons of ways to document your maintenance so I'll share mine. I create a Google Sheet with date, mileage, engine codes shown (if any), part numbers used, price total, and a photo of the receipt. When/if the dealer does any work, I scan and attach a copy of the dealer receipt too. When I sold my last car, I emailed that Sheet to the new owner and then they had the full service history including receipts. Just made for an easy handoff and there was no risk of losing any paperwork

Thanks for the great replies! I have started a log book and have a receipt envelope. So far just 2 gas fill ups. I'm pretty ocd about keeping receipts. Thanks for the oil and maintenance interval info as well 👍

I used the MAZDA website MYMAZDA to keep track of work preformed by who, when and mileage. The MAZDA dealer will add their service to that list/field. Ed

I keep a spreadsheet for each vehicle I own and a folder with all the receipts.
When I sell my vehicle, I provide only the spreadsheet to the new owner.

….
  • For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement.
NOTE: If you elect to perform maintenance yourself or have your vehicle serviced at a location other than an Authorized Mazda Dealer, Mazda requires that all fluids, parts and materials must meet Mazda standards for durability and performance as described in this manual.

I hadn't noticed the above reference to 'a statement' when I read through the manual a few months ago. This sounded odd to me, so I send an email to Mazda support, asking exactly what 'a statement' means. Here is their reply:

There is no official statement, keep all receipts regarding maintenance on your Mazda. You would need to tell the Mazda dealership that you have maintained your Mazda yourself and provide proof. As part of this you must keep your maintenance records, receipts, repair orders and any other documents as evidence this maintenance was performed. You must present these documents, should any warranty coverage disagreement occur. Failure to do so can result in your warranty being voided either in whole or in part..

Although their answer doesn't come as a surprise to me, it's nice to have in print that just receipts, along with associated mileage and dates are all that's needed, just the same as it's always been.

Mazda replaced the engine in my Protege5 under warranty due to "oil starvation while cornering".
1: Those cars cornered too well for their own good. Mazda, please go back to making cars like that. and..
2: I'm glad I kept my oil change receipts, because I had to produce each and every one of them to convince Mazda that I took care of the car, since I did my own maintenance.

Keep em. no need to keep them organized or anything; I have a manila folder for each car that I toss all my receipts into.

.. no need to keep them organized or anything; I have a manila folder for each car that I toss all my receipts into.

pssst - a folder IS organization, just a very simple method of organization. You could also use a plastic container or an old shoe box. The moral of the story is this: If you are doing your own maintenance and NOT at a dealer.. you MUST keep records in some manner and be able to produce those records at some point in the future should a disagreement arise for warranty coverage.

If you are getting some service/maintenance at the dealer and other service/maintenance at a 3rd party shop all those records must be kept by YOU the owner of the vehicle. The burden of proof if you will is on the OWNER / user / maintainer of the vehicle.

What a RECORD of maintenance is has already been clearly defined:
* receipt of item(s) purchased (IE: blinker fluid; blinker filter)
* mileage of vehicle
* date of service
* description of service (changed blinker fluid and filter)

I am a pilot and have owned two different single engine small airplanes in my lifetime, a Piper Cherokee and a Vans RV-6 experimental sport plane. Airplanes are required by the FAA to have at least two different maintenance logbooks, one for the airframe itself and one for the powerplant(s). Sometimes there's a 3rd logbook for the propeller(s) in case of a controllable/variable pitch propeller. All receipts and supporting documents are kept forever in the "log book bag", typically a large zippered bag much akin to a giant bank bag. I intend to maintain a similar logbook for my new CX-5, to keep a maintenance and service/repair record of everything done to the car. My Audi A4 Quattro actually came with such a logbook from the factory with both preprinted pages for scheduled maintenance items plus a bunch of lined blank pages for freeform narrative to be written into. I keep it in the glovebox along with some of the smaller owners/operating manuals from the factory. The Audi's giant, thick primary owners manual actual resides in a special slot made for it in the dashboard under the steering column, which is kind of a neat feature that would be nice for other car makers to imitate, but so far I've only ever seen such on Audis.

That reminds of older data processing equipment that had a manual/logbook 'traveler' compartment behind the monitor or someplace.

I drew lines on some of the blank pages in the back of my Mazda manual to record maintenance procedures.

⋯ The Audi's giant, thick primary owners manual actual resides in a special slot made for it in the dashboard under the steering column, which is kind of a neat feature that would be nice for other car makers to imitate, but so far I've only ever seen such on Audis.
My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX (2.8L V6 with 5-speed manual) has the same slot there.

I do, or have the maintenance done, on all of my vehicles. On a new engine, I change the oil and filter the first time at 1000 miles to remove the worst of the break-in wear particles. Then, again at 5000 miles. During that 5000 miles I start out driving it gently and progressively push it harder as the miles build up. After that I change the oil at 10k miles, or the recommended interval in the manual and run synthetic oil. So far, that has always produced an engine that consumes little, or no oil, and performs very well. This is a pattern I learned from Japanese motorcycles. For my own benefit, I log all maintenance and keep receipts.

Doing extra maintenance, or changing your oil sooner than the max is not harmful and may well make the engine last longer. There are plenty of stories supporting it. However, the recent million mile Frontier supposedly got owner done oil changes at 10k miles.

Back