DIY maintenance during warranty

Was wondering about this. From what people say here, I think detailed records is the most important thing.

1) My Toyota Tacoma that I leased I got free service for 2 years/20,000 miles and had a TON of warranty work performed (long story, truck sucked). As soon as my 20,000 miles was up I went to an independent shop who I trust. He keeps detailed records.

2) My Hyundai Elantra CPO I used the dealer for their free oil change and that's it

3) My 2017 CPO CX-5, I'm really really in a mental pickle about what to do. My dealer gives free oil changes for a year, and I'm under limited warranty for 12,000 miles/1 year. I'm leaning towards forgetting about the free oil changes and just taking it to my actual mechanic. I know that the invoice I get is detailed enough that it shouldn't be an issue. I need to get my suspension checked out and if it's determined anything is wrong with it I'll bring to the dealer to verify warranty work.

Was wondering about this. From what people say here, I think detailed records is the most important thing.

1) My Toyota Tacoma that I leased I got free service for 2 years/20,000 miles and had a TON of warranty work performed (long story, truck sucked). As soon as my 20,000 miles was up I went to an independent shop who I trust. He keeps detailed records.

2) My Hyundai Elantra CPO I used the dealer for their free oil change and that's it

3) My 2017 CPO CX-5, I'm really really in a mental pickle about what to do. My dealer gives free oil changes for a year, and I'm under limited warranty for 12,000 miles/1 year. I'm leaning towards forgetting about the free oil changes and just taking it to my actual mechanic. I know that the invoice I get is detailed enough that it shouldn't be an issue. I need to get my suspension checked out and if it's determined anything is wrong with it I'll bring to the dealer to verify warranty work.
These are very reliable cars. Odds are in your favor if you take it to your mechanic. Likely you won't require any warranty work.

Oil and filter are $25-$35 in materials. I can change it myself in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer and back, let alone wait for them to actually do the work. Not to mention having to schedule in advance and during work hours.

These are very reliable cars. Odds are in your favor if you take it to your mechanic. Likely you won't require any warranty work.

Oil and filter are $25-$35 in materials. I can change it myself in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer and back, let alone wait for them to actually do the work. Not to mention having to schedule in advance and during work hours.
Not doubting that. But car has been seeming a tiny bit bouncy and I’ve got a weird creaking noise in the front suspension (or dash). I only bought it in November with 31,000 miles on it. We’ll see! Independent mechanics are just a better experience all around.

Also purchased it with a rear end collision in the history. When I got new tires the rear toe angle was off. If it’s off again we’ll have some problems :).

I totally agree with you, but whilst under warranty for 3 years, maybe worth taking to dealer to be on safe side. They have a way of looking for excuses if something goes wrong and blame the owner. This way if they change the oil, and update 2 main computers, and the rest of the other software, maybe its worth it.

Anyone else do DIY oil changes at every 3-3.5 k mi? I do have a turbo, and installed a corksport oil catch can that i empty at each oil change session

Btw this is the gunk my OCC usu picks up (after around 3500 mi or a long road trip ie 750 mi)

Attachments

• DEB62C90-7759-4740-AFE7-8E56CF656E4F.jpeg
    DEB62C90-7759-4740-AFE7-8E56CF656E4F.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 2885DBA9-4EA1-459E-9A17-AD7884BCF31D.jpeg
    2885DBA9-4EA1-459E-9A17-AD7884BCF31D.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 137
Not doubting that. But car has been seeming a tiny bit bouncy and I’ve got a weird creaking noise in the front suspension (or dash). I only bought it in November with 31,000 miles on it. We’ll see! Independent mechanics are just a better experience all around.

Also purchased it with a rear end collision in the history. When I got new tires the rear toe angle was off. If it’s off again we’ll have some problems :).
I also have a creak! Usu at low speeds when im turning into my drive way. Its like my cx5 sign has arthritis haha

Anyone else do DIY oil changes at every 3-3.5 k mi? I do have a turbo, and installed a corksport oil catch can that i empty at each oil change session

Btw this is the gunk my OCC usu picks up (after around 3500 mi or a long road trip ie 750 mi)
What year is your cx 5? Is it a Turbo and how many miles on it?

So this is my first new car with a warranty. I like to change my own oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Do you do your own maintenance while under warranty? Do you keep your receipts for oil and filters etc.? Document mileage? What are the rules just in case you have a warranty issue?
Please keep in mind YMMV..
I did all the maintenance myself since day 1. Unfortunately I had to bring my cx-9 in because of a coolant leak. I was asked to provide maintenance record. I scanned all my OEM oil filter and drain plug gasket receipts (Amazon, eBay, & local dealers) , Walmart & Costco oil receipts, and excel spreadsheet of dates/miles. That was sufficient in my scenario.

Please keep in mind YMMV..
I did all the maintenance myself since day 1. Unfortunately I had to bring my cx-9 in because of a coolant leak. I was asked to provide maintenance record. I scanned all my OEM oil filter and drain plug gasket receipts (Amazon, eBay, & local dealers) , Walmart & Costco oil receipts, and excel spreadsheet of dates/miles. That was sufficient in my scenario.
What is YMMV?

Wow, that's a lot more than I'd expect in 3500 miles.

Are you adding oil between changes?

That's a lot of gunk . . . but I don't see any oil at all, do you?
I had an Ebay OCC installed on (now traded) Hyundai 2020 Tucson. After 1 yr/10,000 miles, it collected maybe 2 oz of water and an ounce of dark oil.

Just got a 2019 CX-5 Signature a month ago, had a fresh oil change done myself, going to install an oil catch can I removed from the old Tucson, let's see what I'll get.

If its only water in your self installed catch can, then that will burn/ evaporate away. I am sure Mazda knows how to deal with that. Also installing anything whilst under warranty still - be careful!
I asked the dealer if its ok to rust proof the car, he said if they drill holes in the car to inject, and there is rust around holes, it will void warranty if you raise rust issues! Any excuse dealer finds they will use against you. I think this catch can option is probably good for older cars. Your better off replacing the PCV valve regularly.

It looks like it is mostly water.
I dont think it looks mostly like water. Doesnt even smell like water lol i think the OCC catches residual vapors from the exhaust (ie residue from air/gas combustion) before it is reintroduced into the engine (ie blowby)

Back