Disc brakes or Drums

Lboogs

:
'02 Protege LX
should the '02 LX have drums or disc brakes? Is it possible to change from drums to disc or will that interfere with performance?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have 4 bolt wheels you have drums in the rear, and 5 bolt wheels means discs all around. To change from disc to drums you have to change all the hubs and everything, probably not worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have 4 bolt wheels you have drums in the rear, and 5 bolt wheels means discs all around. To change from disc to drums you have to change all the hubs and everything, probably not worth it.

Correct on all counts. And IMHO, the conversion to disk brakes is definitely not worth the time, effort, or cost. Use that money on other mods.

Correct on all counts. And IMHO, the conversion to disk brakes is definitely not worth the time, effort, or cost. Use that money on other mods.

Well, not necessarily, I have 4 bolt/stud wheels and rear disks...

It is weather the car has or has not the ABS system... that determines the drum/disk brakes on rear wheels...

Drum brakes have an "auto boost" or "self boost" feature, meaning the brake pads have self leverage when brake is applied...

ABS doesn't like that, coz it wants to quickly release and apply force on it's own...

It's the usdm (United States Domestic market) and pacific cars that are all 4 lug with rear drum. Protge produced for different regions of the world came with different packages and optional equipment. The op probably has a edm (European domestic market) protege.

To awnser your question it's a matter of opinion. I have rear drum and it holds the car better when I'm parked because I never leave my car in gear. Drum brakes have better parking brake holding power and have a longer lifespan than disks, but disk brakes do work better with abs and mostly are a better design for everyday driving than drum. Another reason I like drum is because they lock up fast and hard with the ebrake for drifting action.

That's just my $.02

It's the usdm (United States Domestic market) and pacific cars that are all 4 lug with rear drum. Protge produced for different regions of the world came with different packages and optional equipment. The op probably has a edm (European domestic market) protege.

To awnser your question it's a matter of opinion. I have rear drum and it holds the car better when I'm parked because I never leave my car in gear. Drum brakes have better parking brake holding power and have a longer lifespan than disks, but disk brakes do work better with abs and mostly are a better design for everyday driving than drum. Another reason I like drum is because they lock up fast and hard with the ebrake for drifting action.

That's just my $.02

Yes, the same reason you like drums so much is the one I dislike them!!!!

When drums sit over rainy night, and a tiny layer of oxide creates on the drums, next morning it is enough to just barely touch the brake pedal for the rears to lock up...

Not to mention I almost lost my head a couple of times, just because of that, trying to brake on a wet curvy road...

The other thing is it is almost impossible to adjust the darn L/R sides to brake evenly, so passing the MOT is a bit of a challenge with rear drums...

thank you for all the responses it is greatly appreciated...................

JReichle1: how is it possible to purchase a EDM vehicle in the U.S.? Is this a fluke?

thank you for all the responses it is greatly appreciated...................

JReichle1: how is it possible to purchase a EDM vehicle in the U.S.? Is this a fluke?
Gozz is in Croatia that is why i was talking about edm protge. I was just saying that is why he has 4 lug with rear disc. Sorry about the confusion...

Gozz is in Croatia that is why i was talking about edm protge. I was just saying that is why he has 4 lug with rear disc. Sorry about the confusion...

Yes, but, even here if you purchase a non-abs protege (it is called 323 here) or one with weaker engine 1.6 liter or 1.3 liter, you'll get rear drums... (scratch)

Ok guys (squinty),

I assumed he had a USDM car (usa). Yes, technically he could have 4 lugs and disc brakes if he had an EDM vehicle...

Back