Different OEM CX-5 cabin filters

Dont forget to push it in. It needs to kind of click.. so that the two sticking outward edges on the side of the filter align in. Has some initial resistance then push more forward. Usually thats missed and it wont be fully inserted if its pushed until the first resistance.

20210423_120050.jpg

I just installed the EPAuto CPJ6 filter from Amazon. One of the easiest maintenance jobs ever. No problems with the fitment at all. The only thing I will add is as cz5gt mentions, make sure that you push that sucker in firmly until you hear a good loud click sound which means the retainer tab has snapped into place.
The original 2 year old, 10K mile factory filter was pretty dirty so the very modest cost was worth it.

Your dealer will charge a ridiculous amount for parts and labor to do this. Even if you feel that you have no mechanical ability at all, this is something that anyone can do in just a few minutes and not even a screwdriver is required.

The original 2 year old, 10K mile factory filter was pretty dirty so the very modest cost was worth it.
Remember the factory cabin air filter has light charcoal on it, hence it’d look dirty (black) even if it’s brand new. With 10K miles I’d imagine your factory cabin filter is still having plenty of service life left.

I suppose I could have given it a good shake and maybe brushed the debris off. But I live in the mountains and it is pretty dusty plus pine needles, pollen, seed pods and other junk accumulates quickly. Given the low cost I didn't mind replacing it.

yeah, depends on the location.
For example in AZ the cabin filter is pretty much full of dirt and dust at 10k miles.
I change it every year nowadays and same with the engine air filter
At less than 10k and its pretty much toasted :) but thats the drawback living in the desert, there is so much dust and wind pretty much every other day of the year.
Other places it may last 20k or more for sure.

The fun is when we get a dust storm, then you are out for new filter.

Thats from last year.
20200816_204234.jpg

Last edited:
That dust storm looks like the impending apocalypse for anything that uses a filter.
My Nissan 370Z required removing something like 7 different screws and a long shank screwdriver to get at the cabin filter. Kudos to Mazda for making it so easy.

Although not living in the mountains, the pollen, fine dirt and tree 'stuff' has me presently on approximately a 7 month cabin filter change. Always notice a considerable increase in airflow. Smells better too.
For engine air filters, it's every 20K miles. My previous car's engine was 3.8L and a filter change at 12-13 K did make a difference in throttle response even if the filter didn't look that dirty. Using 13K and the ratio of 3.8/2.5 engine displacement ( to approximate the same total volume of air through the filter) yields about 20K interval for the CX-5. Also, the CX-5 only sees about 7K miles a year. Purchased 3/2014 and just turned 50K.

Back