Dealer said not to use synthetic?

LordJezo

I have never not used syntheticbut today when I took it in for an oil change (my first time not doing it myself) I was told that Mazda recommends conventional.

It's also the first time I was ever downsold (is that a term?) something less expensive.

Is this the case? We have a 2010 AWD Touring.. should I be using regular oil in it over synthetic?

Keep using the synthetic.... it sounds like dealer just wants your $$$ from extra service visits using dino oil

My dealer tells me to use synthetic and warns they can void the warranty if I don't (yes i have all my services done at the dealer while the car is under warranty to make my life easier). I would find a new dealer.

donkey i think you need to find a new dealer.

if one RTM it says on 8-19 and 20:
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2011_CX9_OM.pdf
------

Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts
and Castrol (U.S.A and Mexico). For
optimal engine performance, there are
certain types of engine oils and filters
suitable for your vehicle. Please consult
an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Recommended Oil
Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Oil container labels provide important
information.
A chief contribution this type of oil makes
to fuel economy is reducing the amount of
fuel necessary to overcome engine
friction.

Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline
Engines” by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). An oil with this trademark
symbol conforms to the current engine
and emission system protection standards
and fuel economy requirements of the
International Lubricant Standardization
and Approval Committee (ILSAC),
comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.

The quality designation SM, or ILSAC
must be on the label.

-----

so i actually misspoke earlier. mazda does not specifically recommend conventional. it only recommends 5W-20 with the proper quality and performance specifications listed above.

what i suspect comes in the engine, from the factory, considering it is a ford engine, is a semi-synthetic. ford loves its semi-synthetic and i suspect that was what it was developed to use.

My dealer tells me to use synthetic and warns they can void the warranty if I don't (yes i have all my services done at the dealer while the car is under warranty to make my life easier). I would find a new dealer.

Dealers do not control whether your warranty is voided.
All you need to do is follow the OM's suggestions. Do more as you wish, but not because "dealers say so".

i found at least two other threads on the mazda forums stating that the mazda oem 5w20 is re-branded ford motorcraft semi-synthetic. i won't bother to cite un-official/verified sources but i think it is the most likely case.

if one did switch to full synthetic i would suggest increasing your oil change interval (oci) to at least 10k miles. if i had the time for DIY and it was more economical to do so i would go 10k miles and then send a sample into blackstone to be analyzed.

edmunds.com did so on one of their long-term GM vehicles:

"One GM car Edmunds drove went 13,000 miles before the monitoring system indicated the need for an oil change. We sent a sample of that oil to a lab for analysis. The results showed that the oil could have safely delivered at least another 2,000 miles of service."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Back