Dealer won't use synthetic oil - 2022 CX-5 Turbo

No, but you need to take into account that tech can change quickly, and if he isn't present to learn about it and apply it to the advice he's giving, it could be a little outdated. He provides a lot of great info, but there's nothing wrong with challenging an opinion if you don't agree with it.

Consider the source too - a guy on Reddit claiming to be a master tech says change your oil every 3k. Meanwhile we have used oil analyses from certified labs occasionally recommending longer (8k - 10k mi) OCIs.
I wouldn't follow a recommendation to do 8 to 10k oil changes on a normal 2.5 NA engine let alone on a turbo, that's just crazy IMO, certified lab or not. Let's see what those lab results look like around the 100k mile mark or even 75k. 38k miles is still relatively young and buildup around oil rings takes time. There's countless videos up and down the web of high mileage engine teardowns with clogged oil rings because of extended OCI.
Modern engines have low tension compression rings which let by a certain amount of blow-by contaminating the oil to a point. Make the engine high compression and slap a turbo on top and you have more wear.
Now, if the OP isn't going to keep his vehicle long term ( over 100k) then he might be golden.

Last edited:
If he left Mazda in 2019 he doesn't know about the cylinder head cracks or burning oil issues in the 2.5T or the fixes. None of those would have been prevented with 3000 mile oil changes. Those are the only real issues modern Mazda turbos have had.
The early oci would have nothing to do with the cracking problems or design flaws in the T engines. Has to do with preventing early internal wear in the cylinder and rings found in turbo engines, hence the early spark plug change interval. Not that I'd do 3k miles, that is a bit wasteful, I'd still stick to the 5k regimen. His terminology was just turbo engines, not Mazda specifically, so maybe he was speaking generally.

Last edited:
OP here. Great read here...I think I will just buy my own synthetic oil. Which synthetic are you guys using?
Castrol Edge on my CX-5 Turbo, supposedly has very low deposits compared to other oil per an obscure Amsoil study I stumbled upon. Wouldn’t hesitate to use Mobil1 or Pennzoil either, I get whatever name brand is cheapest with rebates for my RAV4 hybrid.

OP here. Great read here...I think I will just buy my own synthetic oil. Which synthetic are you guys using?

I'll be using Kirkland Signature for the next 32k kms (20k mi). After my current stock is up, I may switch to a "high mileage" oil like Mobil1, or I may continue with the Costco stuff.

Before switching to Kirkland oil, I was using Castrol Edge, then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Can't go wrong with those IME, though I did prefer the PUP because it seemed to make the engine feel just the tiniest bit smoother during regular driving.

Back