Dealer Issue

WifesMazda6

:
04 Mazda6
Purchased my wifes 04 m6 about 4 months ago and it has the 4cylinder engine. Well the engine "Let Go" and by this I mean a broken rod. Dealers mechanic says that something off the road bounced up and broke the plastic oil filter holder. I do my own maintence on it and I find this hard to believe but not impossible. Of course there is the skid plate under there covering the engine bay, tranny, etc. So there is the bar located near the filter and the cover is covering the underneath and I am supposed to believe something hit directly on the spot where filter is, not hitting anything else. Thus, causing the oil to drain out. BEFORE ALL OF THIS DEALER STUFF, I took the car out after the wife got home saying there is something wrong with the car and I took it out of town and made the car downshift. It shifted down from 3rd to 2nd then the rpms revd to 6000 for a sec then the engine "LET GO". I feel that there is a problem with the tranny which made the engine blow but they can't tell if it is bad until the engine is fixed. Not finalized going to shop tomorrow because I said I wanted to see this direct hit. Dealer states the warranty might not cover cracked filter casing, and sounds like the insurance has to look at it. Any advice will be appreciated. (uhm)

Sounds like the dealership run around.

If you truly think that the engine/transmission were defective and are entitled to warranty, then fight for it. It's sad that Mazda is known for having poor warranty service. Thankfully, we have this:

http://www.us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=193afce4-b86b-4e84-adf9-30bfadbe5445&art=969

Many dealers will try to deny warranty as much as possible.
I would start by going to another dealer or talking to the service manager at the current dealer.
Make sure you compile all your service receipts, especially the ones from your own oil changes.

Thx for the quick responses. I also own a GMC envoy and a member of their site trailvoy.com and that is the vech. that gets modded in this family. Would like to mod the Mazda but it is the wifes and started with the 4 cylinder. The warranty I purchased was from the used car dealer. For some reason, even tho topped to bottomed the car before purchase, I went for the extended warranty(3 more yrs). Unclear off the top of my head if it is a Mazda warranty or thru a different company. He had me send it to "HIS GUY". But the shop is very good at what they do and I know this as a fact. As I stated b4 I'm going there to see this so called road damage tomorrow and if the spots don't line up, then watch out!(enguard)

So went to the service shop today to inspect the damage. The oil filter housing was cracked near the screw but not caused by being over tightened. It is thought by repairman that ice,road chunk caused it. Now it is Progressives problem. I hope that they will resolve this and go on the word of the service guy.

Back