Dealer $$ Cost CX-5

KenT120

2024 CX-5 SIG
I haven't signed on the bottom line yet, most likely we will finalize deal tomorrow.
Our local Mazda dealer is only giving us a discount of $1,143. on a Signature model listed at $42,615.
This is the smallest %-discount we ever got on a new vehicle.
Also we struggled with the dealer to get a $10,000. dollar trade-in on our 2017 Sportage SX,
when most of the Trade-In sites like JD Power, KBB, etc. showed $11,000 to $13,000 trade-in value.
We would greatly appreciate your input, suggestions, experience.

Run away. Very bad deal. Run just run and do not support bad dealers. People who do this are enabling them and giving them reinforcement to continue to do what they do. There are plenty of Mazda's available. Its a buyer's market now. The tables have turned and the games of market adjustment, MSRP or invoice are over.

I would call the sales person and cancel the meeting saying your not comfort with this deal. Don't discuss this deal anymore at this time. He will call back withing a week, so be Patient.

Holy Moly, we checked 6 or 7 other Massachusetts dealers and they all give similar $1,1200 discounts. They all must be in bed together.
What states are you guys in

Sounds like your mistake is waiting for the dealer to offer you a discount rather than taking the initiative to offer them what you want to pay (based on some research). Negotiating 101!

Holy Moly, we checked 6 or 7 other Massachusetts dealers and they all give similar $1,1200 discounts. They all must be in bed together.
What states are you guys in
You have to learn how yo negotiate by email ONLY. Do not step foot in a dealership unless it is to wrap up and sign the paperwork for the deal you already negotiated by email and txt. It is absolutely unnecessary to visit a dealer for any other reason. Contact every dealer within a 200 mile radius and request them to give you out the door pricing on the exact vehicle VIN number they have listed on their website. Pit them against each other and you will make bank. Treat your trade in as a SEPERATE TRANSACTION after you have negotiated the deal on the new vehicle. Do not let them know you have a trade in upfront, only after you are satisfied with the new vehicle deal. Do not tell them how you will be paying for the new vehicle either. That information is not necessary and only used to your disadvantage from the dealer.

There are many YouTube resources and videos from well know content makers that deal with teaching you these exact steps

Good luck and do not settle or let them to believe you are emotionally attached to any one particular vehicle. It has to be as blatent and objective as possible and you need to be patient and let the offers roll in if the want your business. It's a disgusting field to deal with but you can get as much as 15 to 20 percent off MSRP a new Mazda with these tactics. They are still making plenty of money through holdback, floorplan assistance, manufacturer to dealer incentives and manufacturer bonuses for hitting their sales numbers. A dealer can take a big loss on a vehicle to sell it and still make money on it many many ways. Don't get the wool pulled over your eyes.

Good luck!

End of the quarter is just a few weeks away. Often, dealers are more motivated to crack the "hard nut" sale to meet volume levels and such

You have to learn how yo negotiate by email ONLY. Do not step foot in a dealership unless it is to wrap up and sign the paperwork for the deal you already negotiated by email and txt. It is absolutely unnecessary to visit a dealer for any other reason. Contact every dealer within a 200 mile radius and request them to give you out the door pricing on the exact vehicle VIN number they have listed on their website. Pit them against each other and you will make bank. Treat your trade in as a SEPERATE TRANSACTION after you have negotiated the deal on the new vehicle. Do not let them know you have a trade in upfront, only after you are satisfied with the new vehicle deal. Do not tell them how you will be paying for the new vehicle either. That information is not necessary and only used to your disadvantage from the dealer.

There are many YouTube resources and videos from well know content makers that deal with teaching you these exact steps

Good luck and do not settle or let them to believe you are emotionally attached to any one particular vehicle. It has to be as blatent and objective as possible and you need to be patient and let the offers roll in if the want your business. It's a disgusting field to deal with but you can get as much as 15 to 20 percent off MSRP a new Mazda with these tactics. They are still making plenty of money through holdback, floorplan assistance, manufacturer to dealer incentives and manufacturer bonuses for hitting their sales numbers. A dealer can take a big loss on a vehicle to sell it and still make money on it many many ways. Don't get the wool pulled over your eyes.

Good luck!
15-20% ? may be in the midwest or some fly over state. 10% is more likely but first have to bargain for them to remove the addons and then wirh a tradein to give you better price. They always make up the discount with lower tradein. How they profit.
There are so many layers for them to screw one over that it is annoying experience to buy a car.
And there are still people who pay the high prices even today which motivates the dealer greed/profits.
inventory is also kind of low for some CX5 Trims and dealers know it. They watch yutube too.
The best chance is to catch when they need to meet their quota but its tough to guess when.

KenT120,
If you are not in a state where you can lower the new car sales tax with the tradein.. just skip the tradein and sell to carvana or whoever gives you most just for a sale of the old car. Dont tradein.

If you are in a state where you can lower the new sales tax , delalers know that and thats why the low ball.

Last edited:
Wow, I would love to see real life example of anyone that gets 15 to 20% off MSRP on a compact SUV. (Without the car being a demo or a previous year model).

The advise and strategy is sound, but don’t expect that big of a deal on a CX-5.

Wow, I would love to see real life example of anyone that gets 15 to 20% off MSRP on a compact SUV. (Without the car being a demo or a previous year model).

The advise and strategy is sound, but don’t expect that big of a deal on a CX-5.
You are looking at a real life example. 20 percent off my CX-5 Sig brand new and 15 percent off my CX-9 GT brand new. Georgia and NC

Thats ok. But I dont think majority of people would get 15-20% today.
in my Metro area of 5 million people its almost impossible. 42k Signature for 34k. Plus the local dealers are like a cartel - some are bad others are worse. There is one which is so so and they rarely have large selection of Trims (no high trims) on the lot.

You are looking at a real life example. 20 percent off my CX-5 Sig brand new and 15 percent off my CX-9 GT brand new. Georgia and NC
Well count me honestly impressed. I never managed or seen anyone score that kind of deal before.

Was that through email only? Because all i get here from email is : come see us and we will discuss. But i would much prefer sending emails then visiting all the dealers in my area in person.

Now I am expecting the market to cool off and go down in price. It is currently probably the worst time to buy. Prices are still super high from the pandemic shortage and inflation AND the interest rates are very high. I am hoping prices start adjusting and trending downwards.

Last edited:
In some metro areas it is worth shopping outside of the city. Last mazda my wife bought she did one hour outside of the city. It was worth it.

Good luck!
Exactly what I do, shop by email first and follow up on the good deals. You can tell yourself that anytime is a bad time to deal for any reason. Truth of the matter is they want to sell and will deal. Also had 15% off here AND rebate with Mazda loyalty incentive. Don't include the rebate as part of the negotiated price, slap it on afterwards. Yes, wait until the end of the month. They will call you back if you leave them alone. It's also a good idea to go in pre-approved for a loan with a relatively low rate.

Last edited:
I haven't signed on the bottom line yet, most likely we will finalize deal tomorrow.
Our local Mazda dealer is only giving us a discount of $1,143. on a Signature model listed at $42,615.
This is the smallest %-discount we ever got on a new vehicle.
Also we struggled with the dealer to get a $10,000. dollar trade-in on our 2017 Sportage SX,
when most of the Trade-In sites like JD Power, KBB, etc. showed $11,000 to $13,000 trade-in value.
We would greatly appreciate your input, suggestions, experience.
I recently sold an F150.
Two stealerships offered me $4000 and $5000. I put it on FB Marketplace, and in 3 days I got $9500 for it.

Trading in will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars. Don't leave all of that money on the table. Sell your old car yourself.

Back