Just Purchased a 2024 CX-5 Carbon Turbo! Few questions!

I think the CX-50 is wider/longer than CX-5 but doesn't end up with any more storage [think has less with back seat down, but it is more rectangular]
Just hoping for something closer to Honda CR-V [which is up to 39 cu ft (hybrid lose 3) or 76 seats down]
https://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/specs-features-trim-comparison [Interior Measurements / Cargo Vol]

I just assumed [often bad!] that the CX-70 [as a more NA specific model?] would have been built in Alabama. I should/could have checked the CX-90 when I was in dealer showroom
But this link says different
View attachment 325007
www.dyermazda.com/mazda-cx-70-launch.htm

Also indicates
View attachment 325009

I'll wait for the official announce...but with less eagerness than before!
The CX-90 is definitely built in Hofu so it wouldn't make sense for Mazda to build the CX-70, which rides on the same chassis, in the US. The CX-50 is a bit bigger than the CX-5 in some ways, but is also shorter. As the info you posted above says, "we expect that the standard and minimum cargo capacity will also grow as compared to the carmaker's current two-row crossover models." The question is, by how much? We will know in a couple of weeks...

The CX-50 is a bit bigger than the CX-5 in some ways, but is also shorter.
Well, THAT is confusing! :D

So, having both the CX-50 AND the CX-5, the -50 is bigger than the -5 in every external dimension except height. The rear seat has more legroom, however, the rear trunk, although a shade longer, is a bit narrower too. Thus, in terms of useable space with seatbacks UP, I would judge them about the same. With the seats down there's a bit more longitudinal space in the -50. Again though, it has a lower roof, so not as much vertical space in the trunk.

EDIT: Ah upon re-reading @chickdr I guess he meant shorter as in height, not length. Confusion resolved :)

Last edited:
So really hardly a difference between the two. CX-5 slightly more maximum capacity.
Yeah, like I said, that's what I see too. The CX-5 has more room because of the taller roof. But, if you load to seatback height (with rear seats down) the CX-50 will still have the edge.

FYI: In 'Dimensions'
CX-50 is
Cargo capacity, all seats in place31.4 cu.ft.
Maximum cargo capacity56.3 cu.ft.
www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-50/2024/features-specs/

CX-5
Cargo capacity, all seats in place30.8 cu.ft.
Maximum cargo capacity59.3 cu.ft.
www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2024/features-specs/
Don't let the base numbers fool you. There is noticeably more 'usable' space in the CX50. 2nd row passengers also have a good amount more space, but you wouldn't know from looking at the official measurements

Don't let the base numbers fool you. There is noticeably more 'usable' space in the CX50. 2nd row passengers also have a good amount more space, but you wouldn't know from looking at the official measurements
I agree. I have a 2023 cx5 my neighbor a 2023 cx50 we carpool a fair amount and his seems way more spacious. I think the volume might be the higher roof but that does not translate to actually having more room ( I guess if you are really tall maybe it would matter). I have sat in passenger seat up front in both and in the back in both and cx50 just has more room. I personally think build quality is the same, I know that gets mentioned all the time...maybe the Japanese are slipping or the US are just getting better.

I personally think build quality is the same, I know that gets mentioned all the time...maybe the Japanese are slipping or the US are just getting better.
Feel the awkward plastic door handles, reach back for the seat belt and notice how much harder it is to get your hand behind and around it, not to mention the belt material quality, or fiddle with the window/door mounted Bose speakers and you'll change your mind.

agree it runs better on premium
but when premium is expensive, or you just need to burn a tank of gas on a 300mi highway trip, it's great to be able to use 87

Thats what I plan to do...use premium when around town and not driving much and use 87 on long trips! But always Top Tier Gas.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the most out of Android Auto I'll be all set!

I'm pretty sure they come with 2 USB ports. Check the infotainment screen where FM/AM/Sirius/Bluetooth is and see if there's a couple USB options.
You have to check around the cabin, they should be in the center console. My 16 has them under the screen where my 19 has them hidden in the center console along with the NAV slot.
Hi, I saw your reply and have a question for you.

My 2024 CX-5's infotainment screen has "FM/AM/Sirius/Bluetooth/USB1/USB2," but both of them are greyed out. Is this an easy fix or a serious problem ? How can I make it to work? Thanks.

My 2024 CX-5's infotainment screen has "FM/AM/Sirius/Bluetooth/USB1/USB2," but both of them are greyed out. Is this an easy fix or a serious problem ? How can I make it to work? Thanks.
Maybe if you plug something into one of the USB ports they will become available?

I just checked our 2024. Both USBs are grayed out if nothing is plugged into them. Once you use them, they turn white.

They are for playing music or videos from an usb device. Unless there is a device which supports a storage media they are not enabled for selection in the audio menu.

So today we traded on our 2018 CX5 NA 2.5 with 41K miles in for a CX5 Turbo.

Much seems the same but some is different. Few questions....

How well does the shiny trim along the wheels and bottom hold up?

I see it does not have USB A ports for thumb drives (our music is on them) What kind of adapter is needed?

Since its a turbo, what grade of gas do you guys use? 87? 89? 91? or does it matter.

The heads-up display...do you find it a distraction or get use to it?

Do the eBay Navigation cards work in the 2023 or 2024 CX5s?

Anything else that is new since 2018??

Thanks
Sounds great, good luck
I bought a OEM NAV Card on Ebay for short $ like $40 and it works fine in my 2019 M6
Easy to set up and compatible. I prefer running GMaps through my I phone maybe because its easier to use.

Back