CX5 Sleek and Modest Offroad mods

I really think that you are over-thinking this “scrub radius” issue. I’ve used 15-30 mm spacers on four of my last five vehicles and noticed zero issues with handling or tire wear. Worrying about a 5mm difference is wasted effort IMO. But, it’s your CX.

I really think that you are over-thinking this “scrub radius” issue. I’ve used 15-30 mm spacers on four of my last five vehicles and noticed zero issues with handling or tire wear. Worrying about a 5mm difference is wasted effort IMO. But, it’s your CX.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Good to know you've spaced out that far without any problems.

Just don't want to slow it down further once start adding cargo racks, hitch, etc. All that added weight.

And didn't want to affect handling too much as it's daily driver.

At least got my tires ordered.

And looks like may have found a 16x7 with 45 offset that like better than the montegi's. Could wait til spring to get the wheels but don't want to find out they get discontinued /sold out.
So gonna deicide soon.

So the new aftermarket 16 inch rims decided to get may possibly scrape the caliper bracket due the spokes not being curved enough. Some say they'll fit, some say they won't fit. So we'll see... At worst may have to use 3 mm spacers to get rim away from calipers. Hopefully the 3 mm spacer leaves enough cx5 hub for the wheel to fit onto as the hub seems short compared to my mariner suv hub. Hopefully won't need new studs either. Anyone have experience running 3 mm spacers on the cx5?? Is there adequate hub left for the wheel to sit on ?

Haven't ordered yet cause looking at $300 each, or $1200 total. Hopefully they fit well cause they look great.

But if get and don't fit, may have to return for loss and get junkyard Mazda tribute rims...which way cheaper at $300 total

Last edited:
Yes...Thank you. am looking at all ways to drop weight, no matter how drastic. Then gonna compare cost/reward and really decide if gonna do it.

So I swapped my tires this weekend and remembered this thread. I used a food scale to weigh the OEM nuts and the titanium nuts, just so you have a point of reference in the future.

The CX-9's OEM nuts weigh approximately 31.6 grams each. The titanium nuts weigh approximately 22.4 grams each.

I assume that the CX-5 and CX-9 (and probably every other Mazda) uses the same OEM nuts, but there you go.

After alot of inquiries and back and forth, am all in.

My 16 inch all-terrain tires were already purchased & aftermarket 16 inch rims now on backorder.
Should have by February just in time for spring...

If no problems with clearance and all goes well, will post pic in spring.

If not, will just get the Mazda tribute wheels and have repainted.

Last edited:
Quick notes to refinish steel wheels.

Finally had time to post this for anyone that needs to refinish a rusted steel wheel. Lost pictures of the process so no pictures to post except of finished rim(used Rust-Oleum hammered black which looks awesome)

1.) It's really not worth the effort. Pay the $$$ and buy a refinished wheel to start. Trust me.

2.) If you absolutely must buy a rusted steel wheel then:
* Remember to use eye protection and N95 Niosh masks or respirator when sand/paint.
A ) make a gel of vinegar and corn starch by heating over stove. Pour into a pickle jar or mason jar.
B) use paint brush to apply gel to rusted areas and let sit 24 hours.
C.) Use wire brushes & steel wool to scrub off gel and rust.
D.) Spray off with garden hose.
E.) Blot dry with towels and set in sun to dry.
**** Repeat above process if still alot of rust. This will help loosen and remove the heavy rust.
F.) Remove remaining rust patches with a drill & metal grinding disc(from harbor freight). Wear face/eye protection.
G.) Sand any rusted areas as well as rough up any painted glossy areas with sandpaper. Use 320 or 400 grit...no lower. You don't want to take all paint off...just scuff it up a bit.
H.) Tack cloth rim.
I.) Spray rim with two light coats of Rust-Oleum Rusty metal primer and let dry for 48 hours. The rusty metal primer will convert any remaining surface rust you can't see(like in the nook and cranny crevices or in the pitted areas) into inert metal. Optional - after dry then very lightly sand with 600 grit. Tack cloth.
J.) Spray rim with another coat rusty metal primer and let dry 48 hours. Optional- after dry, very lightly sand with 600/800 grit.
Tack cloth rim.
K.) Spray paint with 2 light coats of favorite color and let dry 48 hours. Optional - very light sand with 1000 grit and tack cloth.
L.) Spray final coat of favorite color.
m.) Optional- Final sand very very lightly with 1000/1200 grit and then tack cloth.
M.) Optional - Finish with clearcoat and allow to dry 48 hours
N.) Optional, If you absolutely must, wet sand with 1200/1500 grit, tack cloth then apply 2nd/Final clearcoat.
O.) Lastly make sure the rim fits in hub. If you used too many or too heavy of paint coats, it may not. Sand bore-hole if needed so it fits on hub.

* Remember this is just a spare so you decide how much time to spend on restoration and whether to sand between paint coats and if really need to clearcoat.. it is just a spare. At a minimum you could just take a grinding wheel to it and spray rusty metal primer on it and be done.

** Wear face and eye protection when grinding and wear Niosh N95 face mask, preferably a respirator when sanding/painting.

Trust me, the KN95 from Asia do not work as well.
Couldn't find my respirator so used a KN95 and could smell the paint fumes.

The KN95 might work for Covid protection but suck for paint fumes. If you can smell the fumes then your breathing the Toluene. Luckily was doing this outside so exposure was limited.

Used a 3m N95 and could tell the difference then took the time to find my respirator. Use respirator if you have one and do this outside. If can't afford or find a respirator, then using a face mask, the 3m N95 are way better than the KN95.

Last edited:
Started to clean up the Mazda tribute alloy rim.

Started refinish of a 16" alloy wheel.

Hate acids so tried to do this with as least potent chemicals as possible.

Used soap and magic eraser to get most of the grime and rust off the alloy rim.

Then sprayed with turtle wax wheel/tire cleaner and let sit 30 seconds, rinse, repeat, rinse, then magic eraser. Didn't have any nitriles left so used vinyl gloves. Should have rinsed the rim better. Glove broke and got some finger burn/rash. Time to replenish the nitrile 🧤 and next time will double glove or Vaseline then glove.

Wheel almost looks new except for peeling clearcoat(was peeling before the cleaner), stubborn brake dust on inside nooks, rust on wheel hub disc plate, some corrosion and the few scratches.

Will post pictures later. But it turned out pretty well so far.

Gonna use some Pam spray or WD40 to try to remove all
the sticky bead sealer.

Next will try Citri-strip to see if can remove the clearcoat and remaining brake dust/rust and then use drill with a brass wheel sanding disc to clean the rust from the rim disc/hub plate and any other stubborn areas on the interior side. Gonna try to avoid using wire brush/sandpaper and abrasives on the exterior rim.

May be able to remove the clearcoat without toxic oven cleaner or aircraft stripper, maybe...

Attachments

• dirty kia rim.png
    dirty kia rim.png
    207 KB · Views: 156
  • mazda tribute rim 1.png
    mazda tribute rim 1.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 150
  • mazda tribute rim 2.png
    mazda tribute rim 2.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 152
  • mazda tribute rim 3.png
    mazda tribute rim 3.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Now have five(5) Mazda 16" tribute alloys, slightly scuffed, with rust stains on inside rim.

Should clean up nicely. May clean and try a charcoal vinyl wrap to see how color plays out before have refinished or powder coated.

Exact same offset 45 and
clear brake calipers perfectly.

All websites listed these as 25 pounders. Weighed them in at just an even 18 pounds each. Plus the Firestone AT tires @ 29 lbs = 47 lbs per corner.
For a total unsprung weight of 188 lbs, and total loss of 52 lbs compared to the stock 240 lbs rim/tire combo.

CX5 should perform way better once these are put on after winter. According to calc could be anywhere between a 30 HP and 43 HP gain.

Last edited:
CX5 should perform way better once these are put on after winter. According to calc could be anywhere between a 30 HP and 43 HP gain.

I think you mean "could be the equivalent of a 30 to 43 hp gain based on improvement in acceleration".

Which calculator did you use to get that info?

I think you mean "could be the equivalent of a 30 to 43 hp gain based on improvement in acceleration".

Which calculator did you use to get that info?
Yes thanks form correction.

No calculator.

From what I have seen/heard, some say 1 lb of unsprung= 1 HP., Others 1 lb unsprung = 1/2 HP...

At 50 lb loss, would either give me 25 or 50 lb freed up HP. I was sort of conservatively guestimating/middle-lining it at 30 to 43 HP. One website says 1 lb unsprung = 5 lbs spring and that 100 lbs loss weight = 10 HP.
So at 50 unsprung = 250 sprung, then might be more like 25 HP freed up.

Still a nice boost even if on lower end.

I could probably have an engineer friend figure it out but why bother them with this

I wonder how much stock wheels actually weigh.

Doesn't refinishing add weight?

I wonder how much stock wheels actually weigh.

Doesn't refinishing add weight?
My stock 19 wheel/tire combo was 59.8 lbs.

Think the 19" stock rim was 30 lbs.
My BBS 17" was 25 lbs.
And the 16" tribute are 18 lbs

Last edited:
#1 off-road mod, ppf the front end especially soul red crystal 🤣
I think it was on reddit, and not specific to off-road, but I was in a conversation about PPF being one of the best, overlooked, 'mod' for keeping your car looking fresh for years. I may have even made some disparaging remarks about form over function, where people will spend hundreds or thousands on wheels (just for looks), stereos, interior/exterior lighting, diffusers, etc. but not be concerned about basic protection - something that will actually mean something in 3 years. He responded, in all seriousness "I'd rather spend my money on something that I can see" I guess I have to learn that everyone's priority is different. - As if I should talk, just look at the post I have about my (wastefully) "upgrading" my 2020 Sig to a 2021 Sig. - see, I can make fun of myself too

Ok. While deciding whether to powder coat, have been working on cleaning alloy wheel to remove heavy rust and brake dust. Can't use wire brushes or steel wool or vinegar gel...

Yesterday evening, used the following..
Magic eraser with vinegar, oil and soap mixture. Not bad but still left rust.

Silicone carbide sandpaper 400 grit. Pretty good but still left some rust.

Coca cola with aluminum foil. Wow...almost like new and super easy..less pressure than sandpaper.
definitely the DIY goto to get rid of rust on alloy wheels at home

Unless of course you are getting your rims sand blasted.

Last edited:
Ok since switched to a lighter 17 inch wheel/tire combo, gas mileage has improved
At 50 mph, currently getting 38 mpg hwy. At 65 mph, averaging 30 mpg hwy.
Was averaging about 27 mpg hwy at 65 mph and 24.5 mpg combined highway/city.

Something had forgot to do. Had previously checked the spare for brake clearance but didn't check with them fully extended.

Decided to check the Kia Sorento 165 90r17 spare rim on the front of CX5 with the brake caliper fully extended. It definitely fits.

Also got around to cutting the foam so the back hatch panel sits flush.

Notice that the spare rim almost matches the Machine gray finish. To paint spare, had used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer then coated with Rustoleum Matte Black then Semigloss clearcoat. May use this combo to paint the Tribute 16 inch rims.

While had car jacked up, decided to re-test the 16 inch Mazda tribute rim for clearance while the calipers were extended.

Inserted a "folded brick tie/anchor" in-between the caliper and rotor to keep caliper from closing. With the caliper fully extended, the 16 inch rim still has between 7/32(5.56 mm) and 1/4 inch(6.35mm) clearance which will still be sufficient with new pads.

For reference, preferably need 3 mm, and no less than 2 mm clearance.
so 6 mm clearance is plenty.

Attachments

• Mazda cx5 with 16 inch rim and  0.25 inch clearance .png
    Mazda cx5 with 16 inch rim and 0.25 inch clearance .png
    162.1 KB · Views: 133
  • fully exrtended CX5 caliper with mazda tribute 16 inch rim.png
    fully exrtended CX5 caliper with mazda tribute 16 inch rim.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 130
  • fully extended brake caliper.png
    fully extended brake caliper.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 125
  • mazda caliper clearance with kia sorento spare .png
    mazda caliper clearance with kia sorento spare .png
    224.6 KB · Views: 128
  • mazda cx5 with kia sorento 165 90r17 spare.png
    mazda cx5 with kia sorento 165 90r17 spare.png
    331.2 KB · Views: 121
Full-size and spare tires from smallest to largest :

TireTire SizeDiameter
Mazda CX5 standard spare **145 90r16=26.26 Inches
Mazda CX9 spare or CX5 diesel spare155 90r17=27.99 inches
Mazda CX5 17" wheel225 65r17=28.50 inches
Mazda CX5 18" wheel substitute225 60r18=28.60 inches
Some Mazda, and Kia 17" spares *165 90r17=28.70 inches
Mazda CX5 19" wheel225 55r19=28.74 inches
Mazda CX5 16" wheel substitute235 70r16=28.94 inches

* The 165 90r17 spare is the closet to all the standard Mazda tires and is probably the most optimal spare. Any spare should only be driven for short distances and at low speeds. This size, however, has more contact patch and is optimal diameter.

** The 145 90r16 spare is way off dimensions and if driven anything more than a short distance will definitely cause accelerated wear on your differential / powertrain, etc. Even if driven temporarily, this could potentially cause some unseen damage to the differential, however slight that may be.

Last edited:
4K review. Tires are awesome. No excessive road noise over my 20s. About 1 mpg less overall. Have taken her to the dirt and snow and what a blessing it is to have awd. Last 2 adventures both times another cx5 parked next to us. Oddly haven’t seen many other awd turbo models.

Attachments

• 3ABA3EEF-6EDA-407C-97F8-E1F64B399F9C.jpeg
    3ABA3EEF-6EDA-407C-97F8-E1F64B399F9C.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 3A521896-77C9-48FE-A06C-2E75519AF32A.jpeg
    3A521896-77C9-48FE-A06C-2E75519AF32A.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 6598F277-5BE5-4361-ABCD-526830628F24.jpeg
    6598F277-5BE5-4361-ABCD-526830628F24.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 86368F0C-8AD1-4825-821A-AE812B70F467.jpeg
    86368F0C-8AD1-4825-821A-AE812B70F467.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 746F9BD5-BD98-4AD5-8253-6F1D6D948DDD.jpeg
    746F9BD5-BD98-4AD5-8253-6F1D6D948DDD.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 201
4K review. Tires are awesome. No excessive road noise over my 20s. About 1 mpg less overall. Have taken her to the dirt and snow and what a blessing it is to have awd. Last 2 adventures both times another cx5 parked next to us. Oddly haven’t seen many other awd turbo models.
Nice wheel/tire combo! Are your suspensions stock or are you on lowering springs? The wheel gap looks a lot smaller than mine.

Back