CX-90 Reviews are out

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Being the owner of a ‘21 Telluride EX AWD, which I bought new in 2020, I can tell you it’s not that great. It feels huge and the driving dynamics do not inspire confidence. The best thing about it is the cavernous space inside. It also does tow well, and drives well in the snow. I like the AWD lock. But the driving modes of the transmission are annoying. In the default comfort mode, if you press down the accelerator a little more than half way it lurches into a lower gear. Not much grace there. If I were you I would also check out the new Honda Pilot, which is supposed to drive small, and the Acura MDX. The Lincoln Aviator does have an amazing engine…that twin-turbo V6.
We have owned a '20 Telluride SX Prestige AWD for the past 3 years and I would second all that you say. The packaging, technology, and dashboard materials/quality are all top notch. The driving dynamics are "meh." There are a few elements that feel "cheap" versus the CX-90 -- notably the look of the skinny tires, the way the car shudders when one of the doors is shut, the rubber wheel arches, and the engine note from the 3.8L V-6 -- but overall it's an amazing vehicle. After driving the CX-90 and a few others, we will be buying a Mazda to replace the Telluride given its similar interior quality and superior driving dynamics, acknowledging everyone's preferences are different. For nikpmd, maybe a BMW X7, new or used? It might not satisfy on third row and cargo volume but it'd likely hit the mark on performance and seating arrangement in this size class.

For me we want a PHEV so Palisade is out (and their actual MPG is pretty bad given we drive mostly city compared to the CX90).

This leaves the Volvo, which is MSRP STARTS at $70k or so and only gets 19 miles of range in electric. To get into one with HUD they start at $79k so over $20k more vs top trim Mazda. $$$$$.....
The seats were awesome and the interior was great too. I didn't like the screen being so low and had to touch it for everything. The tester I drove had finger smears all over it. If I recall correctly turning on the seat warmer is a 2 press solution since it's 1 menu deep.

I loved the interior of the XC90. The feel, comfort, smell and sound was all just perfect. Not sure what audio system is in there, but the sound in the XC90 was amazing. Was about to pull the trigger but talked to people in the service waiting area and they all said the same thing, wonderful car but expect to be at the dealer a lot -and buy the extended warranty - for get this - $10K!

If I were you I would also check out the new Honda Pilot, which is supposed to drive small, and the Acura MDX. The Lincoln Aviator does have an amazing engine…that twin-turbo V6.

Great user name btw 😂

I actually checked out the Pilot and MDX this weekend. The MDX’s second row seats are too low. The pilot uses the same seats but sits a little bit higher and more comfortable IMO. I must say that the pilot’s drive and ride quality is impressive. Seats are comfy. The torque vectoring AWD is really astonishing in making it feel small. I honestly thought I was driving a CRV until I looked in the rear view mirror, haha. It’s relatively not as quiet but still quiet enough. It’s a super competent option in this segment. Its 3rd row is genuinely usable and was comfortable for the missus (5’ 3”). I would recommend the Pilot as well except for one minor miss which is their infotainment screen being small and dated. Otherwise, it’s a gem of a car. It’s doesn’t have the pizazz of the Telluride or Palisade, and if people made buying choices objectively, I can’t imagine picking anything else in this segment. I’m not in a hurry right now, so I decided to wait but if I absolutely needed one today, I’d go for the Pilot, no question.

Last edited:
For nikpmd, maybe a BMW X7, new or used? It might not satisfy on third row and cargo volume but it'd likely hit the mark on performance and seating arrangement in this size class.
That in fact meets all of my criteria except the budget of course 😂. Maybe one day. I do agree that the CX-90 is in the same vein as the X7. The CX-90 is probably better looking in a suave way. The X7 is better in a badass way. I’m keeping an eye out for the X7 CPOs as I expect the 3 year lease returns should start coming in soon.

One of the reviewers described CX-90 as the dad car for someone who previously owned a Miata. High praise for the driving dynamics. I can’t explain it but I want to drive the CX-90 again. I’d like to try the Turbo S and the PHEV.

I loved the interior of the XC90. The feel, comfort, smell and sound was all just perfect. Not sure what audio system is in there, but the sound in the XC90 was amazing. Was about to pull the trigger but talked to people in the service waiting area and they all said the same thing, wonderful car but expect to be at the dealer a lot -and buy the extended warranty - for get this - $10K!
I had almost exactly the same experience! Everyone said it’s a very nice car but seems like it’s riddled with issues. I posted in the XC90 forum about this and they said stick with Mazda, and that I won’t be happy with a Volvo 😅😂.

I thought I read somewhere that the hybrid motor in the inline 6 was used to get the car moving and at slow speed stuff -to save gas. I wonder if that is giving the sense of being slow off the line.

I am going to try to test drive one tomorrow.
Any news?

One of the reviewers described CX-90 as the dad car for someone who previously owned a Miata. High praise for the driving dynamics. I can’t explain it but I want to drive the CX-90 again. I’d like to try the Turbo S and the PHEV.
Yes, well I don’t own a Miata, but I still have my 2014 FR-S. But I’m thinking about getting a car that could replace that and my Telluride. Hence the CX-90. But like you, I can wait a while. I will be hanging around here to what CX-90 owners say and what the issues are with this new Mazda.

It seems like you’ve driven every other car in this segment, so you should definitely check out the Turbo S! Personally, I can’t stand talking to car dealers until I’m ready to buy, and even then I can barely stand it! So thanks for the personal research…ha ha

I used to own a FD3S and my ideal dad car would be a RS4 or RS6 :D

For me a 3 row is not a must have. The wife, however, is adamant on PHEV premium so there are not many options out there. RX450h is a possibility when it comes out and maybe also the CX70 if it's smaller. 200" car is a tight fit into a garage. I don't think you could open the hatch without opening the door or backing up the car into our garage.

200” is long. I swore I would never go longer than my Telluride, 196”. But I really like Mazda performance and quality, so if I get a CX-90 I guess I’ll be parking 4” closer to the hot water heater 😆

My ‘12 Lexus GX 460 is a terrible space for the 3rd row passengers but surprised these options are longer. My ’12 is around 189” and even the ’23 is like 192”. I realize totally different use case and technology/MPG would frighten most away here.

My ‘12 Lexus GX 460 is a terrible space for the 3rd row passengers but surprised these options are longer. My ’12 is around 189” and even the ’23 is like 192”. I realize totally different use case and technology/MPG would frighten most away here.
Yes, I think the ‘23 is still on the same platform as the ‘12? The GX is great for towing

I had almost exactly the same experience! Everyone said it’s a very nice car but seems like it’s riddled with issues. I posted in the XC90 forum about this and they said stick with Mazda, and that I won’t be happy with a Volvo 😅😂.
How's your comparison to the XC90 you drove, in particular ride quality, cabin noise, and handling feel? Which XC90 you drove, B5/B6 or T8 recharge? Both suvs offer interesting PHEV, but I feel that XC90 T8> cx90 PHEV, while cx90 i6> xc90 B5/B6 from the drivetrain perspective.

How's your comparison to the XC90 you drove, in particular ride quality, cabin noise, and handling feel? Which XC90 you drove, B5/B6 or T8 recharge? Both suvs offer interesting PHEV, but I feel that XC90 T8> cx90 PHEV, while cx90 i6> xc90 B5/B6 from the drivetrain perspective.

I haven't driven PHEVs yet. I'll probably start test driving them next month. I am warming up to idea of PHEVs.

I drove a friend's T6 during a local trip and test drove the B6 XC90. I really like the way it drives, ride quality and handling is good (not sporty but more tuned to feel luxurious). Powertrain is torquey and responsive, smooth gear shifts, start-stop is almost not noticeable, good turning radius, light steering. It's got all the qualities to make you feel like you are driving an expensive car except the engine note under acceleration and road noise. Because other types of noise is so well controlled, the road noise seems amplified. Where I live, we have a lot of coarse concrete roads and most vehicles with low profile tires suffers from terrible road noise and jittery ride. I rode along in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and test drove a CPO X5 a while ago. And they don't have this problem. So, this is definitely a problem with the Volvo XC90s. I saw in the Volvo forums that the annual Volvo dealer conference finished and mentioned a significant refresh is coming up for 2025 model year. So, I'd just recommend waiting a year if XC90 fits the bill for y'all. Alternatively, downsize to smaller wheel size like 18".

Regarding which powertrain is better between CX90 and B6 XC90, my personal preference is the Volvo for smoothness. The jerky transmission and lethargic off the line feel of the Mazda really put me off. After a while, the Mazda's fun revving engine becomes tiresome especially in traffic. I'd be curious to see a torque curve graph of the Mazdas (google can't find one yet).

- ride is firm (I felt jolts transmitted from small road imperfections, bumps and potholes)

I hope the vehicle you test-drove had the tire pressure properly lowered from shipping.
We all knew it came with 45psi to avoid flat spotting of tire.
Some salespersons have no clue about this.

I don't know if The Drive is well regarded in these circles, but this article's subheading caught my attention. The article goes on to corroborate my impressions around ride quality. I'm curious to see what the reviewers are going to say when they get their hands on it for a full review. I hope Mazda is listening and tweaks it for the upcoming year. While at it, Mazda, please make your trims less complicated and give me a bench seat in the top trims!

2024 Mazda CX-90 First Drive Review: The Family SUV With Plenty of Hustle
A subtle suspension tweak would go a long way in making the top Turbo S trim more palatable

Really you don't want any of that CX90.

Have a look here:

Have had the XC90 T8 for 3 months now. Amazing car, great efficiency i performance with it plugged in daily. Initially eyeing the cx90 But can't wait that long.

Back