CX-90 Reviews are out

Here is one from Car and Driver. The difference in performance between the inline-6 engine is due to turbo boost going from 14 to 19 PSI.

That straightforwardness translates into the way the CX-90 drives. This is a subtly engaging automobile—enjoyable and refined but never overbearing. The CX90 lineup eschews the air springs and adjustable dampers often found on premium SUVs, but they're not missed. The ride on the 21-inch all-season tires—lower trims have 19s standard—is taut without being harsh. You feel the road but in a good way. The handling is rock steady on the interstates and surefooted on the many miles of drenched two-lanes we traversed. The helm has heft, the steering is progressive and sure. The CX-90 feels reassuringly planted in corners, and it didn't flinch when we leaned on it in some of the less wet sections. There was very little difference dynamically between the Turbo S and PHEV; they're both satisfyingly refined and competent. So, yes, the CX-90 drives like a Mazda.

The new turbocharged inline-six in the Turbo S is well matched to the CX-90's classy persona. At 340 ponies from 3.3 liters, it's no screamer—the automatic upshifts at 6000 rpm. But it's as smooth as Häagen-Dazs and pulls well from just about any speed with virtually no discernible turbo lag. According to Mazda, some of the engine's willing low-speed responsiveness is due to its sky-high 12.0-to-1 compression ratio, plus the torque provided by the 48-volt hybrid assist system at lower engine revs. The turbo six voices a pleasant snarl at higher rpm that disappears to a whisper at highway speeds. Mazda digitally enhances the engine note "slightly."

Here is another one.

From behind the wheel, the 2024 CX-90 picks up where the CX-9 left off, elevating the playful loveliness of the CX-9 into a more dynamically refined vehicle. Steering is heavy on-center—especially with standard lane keep assist on—but it lightens up gently off-center, linearly weighing up as you dig into a corner. The firm but forgiving ride helps the CX-90 load up naturally in corners without devolving to body roll, allowing the driver to lightly brush the brake pedal to put more weight on the big crossover's nose for even more immediate turn-in. Few SUVs in the CX-90's class are going to be able to hang with it on a twisty back road. Dynamically, the differences between the I-6 and PHEV model are subtle; the plug-in feels slightly heavier, but it's not enough to really matter if you're choosing between the two.

On the powertrain front, Mazda reps described the choice between the Turbo S and PHEV models as choosing between delayed and instant gratification. That analogy generally holds up. The new I-6 is the type of engine that's going to make the discerning enthusiast swoon. Thanks to the torque fill provided by the motor, which reaches its 113 lb-ft peak at just 200 rpm, there's no real lag to speak of from the turbocharged engine by the time it hits peak torque at 2,000 rpm. The spunky and smooth-revving engine feels naturally-aspirated in its response to throttle inputs, and really rewards drivers who ride the tach needle past 4,000 rpm. Oh, and it has one of the best exhaust notes we've heard from a three-row family crossover this side of a Dodge Durango Hellcat. The 8-speed and I-6 pairing is a good one, too. The transmission shifts smartly and quickly, generally doing its best to disappear into the background.

Still not real reviews, but "first drives" without much new information. When are the test drives with real instrumented results coming?

The motor trend article is concerning. They take a polite dump on the PHEV for not being smooth. Their conclusion is that the I6 is clearly nicer to drive than the old I4 but the interior is not big enough to compete with the Pilot, Telluride, etc. Lesson not learned from the CX-9 gen 2 I guess.

I read the same article and my impression was that they were very careful about not showing this new Mazda in a bad light but conclusion was sort of: new 6 cylinder engine and a new transmission - so finally some people can stop complaining about using 4 cylinder engines in bigger cars. Slightly more leg room and shoulder room in the first row but the rest is pretty much the same like in the CX-9. Except the features and the price - much higher than the previous generation.

I have got a feeling that when all the excitement is going to fade more and more people will start presenting the shortcomings of this new platform. Certainly I am not going to break any sweat about not waiting for the new CX-90. I got my 2022 CX-9 and when comparing just the numbers - trunk space is literally the same (extra 50 L with the 3rd row folded - slightly wider between the rear wheels and bulkier rear end), slightly more space in the 1st row and this is it. CX-90 is much more expensive and actually offers less for the same amount of money at least here in Canada.

It is too bad because I really wanted to see a car that could compete with Kia Telluride or Honda Pilot in terms of space and utilities - maybe not as big but still not that much smaller on the inside.

Was super excited about the CX-90 until the interior dimensions were revealed. And then the fact that we can't get a 3 seat bench in the 2nd row in the higher trims doesn't make any sense. This sort of car needs to be a very good 5 seater first and the 3rd row is really an emergency row. The CX-9's child seat friendliness in the 2nd row is also gone. This feels objectively worse in the function department. Most people don't care that it's an inline-6 or a rear wheel drive if it doesn't conveniently fit and carry the people they need to carry.

Was super excited about the CX-90 until the interior dimensions were revealed. And then the fact that we can't get a 3 seat bench in the 2nd row in the higher trims doesn't make any sense. This sort of car needs to be a very good 5 seater first and the 3rd row is really an emergency row. The CX-9's child seat friendliness in the 2nd row is also gone. This feels objectively worse in the function department. Most people don't care that it's an inline-6 or a rear wheel drive if it doesn't conveniently fit and carry the people they need to carry.
Ya, the MT article even commented the resulting hump affects the outboard passenger foot room. How big is the damn hump...

Tricky to get in the back, odd seat configs, I'm not sure how the market will look at this. The bigger dimensions don't seem to have resulted in much benefit.

Now, I can live with all that, if it goes. But I'm seeing maybe no? Was it Redline that had the 60 time in the mid 6s, and one run over 7?!?! Another review (forget who) said they expected more speed. That's the big engine, I hesitate to think what the lower output one will do.

Dynamically seems to be positive reviews. But I'm not exactly itching to hit up my dealer tonight. I do wonder what a more thorough review like say a Throttle House will have to say.

These are very good points. This is exactly why I chose CX-9 GT with the bench in the 2nd row. I wanted to have ability to take up to 6-7 people on board and have some trunk space depends on the configuration of all seated people. It worked great last summer and I would have to compromise only when I needed all 7 seats (5 adults + 2 kids). Still the trunk space was just right. That's why Kia Telluride was in the end crossed off the list because higher trims had only captain's chairs and you really can not sit even 3 average size kids in the 3rd row - do not try to squeeze even one adult there with 2 kids.

So now Mazda CX-90 going the same route like Kia but with much smaller trunk space does not make any sense.

Still not real reviews, but "first drives" without much new information. When are the test drives with real instrumented results coming?

The motor trend article is concerning. They take a polite dump on the PHEV for not being smooth. Their conclusion is that the I6 is clearly nicer to drive than the old I4 but the interior is not big enough to compete with the Pilot, Telluride, etc. Lesson not learned from the CX-9 gen 2 I guess.
Motortrend are notorious for disliking Mazda products in general. I stopped giving them clicks a long time ago. I get that some reviews are ok to be critical but these guys always bashed Mazda for no good reason.

I read the same article and my impression was that they were very careful about not showing this new Mazda in a bad light but conclusion was sort of: new 6 cylinder engine and a new transmission - so finally some people can stop complaining about using 4 cylinder engines in bigger cars. Slightly more leg room and shoulder room in the first row but the rest is pretty much the same like in the CX-9. Except the features and the price - much higher than the previous generation.

I have got a feeling that when all the excitement is going to fade more and more people will start presenting the shortcomings of this new platform. Certainly I am not going to break any sweat about not waiting for the new CX-90. I got my 2022 CX-9 and when comparing just the numbers - trunk space is literally the same (extra 50 L with the 3rd row folded - slightly wider between the rear wheels and bulkier rear end), slightly more space in the 1st row and this is it. CX-90 is much more expensive and actually offers less for the same amount of money at least here in Canada.

It is too bad because I really wanted to see a car that could compete with Kia Telluride or Honda Pilot in terms of space and utilities - maybe not as big but still not that much smaller on the inside.

Mazda will never be a competitor to these two in those 2 categories. Mazda's design and the fact that it seats on a RWD architecture cannot compete with FWD architecture which by default can accommodate more space. Mazda people/buyers, in general, favors driving dynamics and quality of interiors/design over space. Good or bad Mazda is ok with they're design and niche of buyers.

I would gladly take something with less space over those general square boats.

Not sure what all the negativity is about. I find most reviews to be very positive. I also appreciate they did not make a huge Escalade type of monstrosity. The PHEV looks to be better than anticipated. I just wish it had the full interior as the Premium plus. Can't wait for the CX-70!

Last edited:
There's a bunch of driving reviews out now. Here are a couple of first person POV reviews from Tedward and TheTopher:

And a review from TFL Car:

All of them do walk arounds and interior walk throughs. I think either Tedward or TheTopher mention that they are 5'7", and you can get a good idea of the hump in their videos when they step into the 2nd row. Kase from TFL Car says that he is 5'10" and he says he has enough leg and head room in the 3rd row to be comfortable.

The reviews have been pretty encouraging, as someone who wants a premium version of the CX-5. If the CX-70 just lops off a foot of length and $5K from the MSRP of the CX-90 Signature, that'll do just fine.

I'd really prefer it be made in Japan (as far as I can tell, it'll be built in the joint Mazda/Toyota plant in Alabama), but the next-highest entry on my shopping list--the BMW X3 M40i--is also built in the US, and costs $30K Canadian more than I expect a CX-70 Signature to clock in at.

I'll be waiting for the second model year, though. My 2014 and 2019 Mazda3s were both first-year products, and although they've both been bulletproof mechanically, I could really do without all the small problems (revised parts, infotainment instability until 4+ updates are released, etc.) that second-year buyers got to skip over.

I think this review from Motormouth highlights nicely some positive and let's say less positive aspects of the new Mazda:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBPaIVsUQqY

I am also waiting really for the new CX-70 but in the end it all depends on the pricing and for me this is the least encouraging factor. I understand that all car prices have increased across the board but from my perspective if you increasing the price by that much you better offer also more features and I just don't feel that Mazda CX-90 gives me that - it is actually quite opposite. The way this is going, my fear is that CX-70 (2 rows) is still going to cost more than comparable current CX-9 (3 rows) and from functional perspective really is not going to give me much more than my wife's 1st gen CX-5 which in the end was significantly less expensive.

I am just glad I am not in a hurry right now to buy a new car - CX-5 is still driving just fine and I am enjoying driving my CX-9 (I can easily fit 5'10" adults in the 3rd row - I have got a proof of one of my friends sleeping comfortably in the 3rd row during out last summer trip:)). I can wait and see if after a few years this new platform will have some changes that might be more appealing to me.

The reviews have been pretty encouraging, as someone who wants a premium version of the CX-5. If the CX-70 just lops off a foot of length and $5K from the MSRP of the CX-90 Signature, that'll do just fine.

I'd really prefer it be made in Japan (as far as I can tell, it'll be built in the joint Mazda/Toyota plant in Alabama), but the next-highest entry on my shopping list--the BMW X3 M40i--is also built in the US, and costs $30K Canadian more than I expect a CX-70 Signature to clock in at.

I'll be waiting for the second model year, though. My 2014 and 2019 Mazda3s were both first-year products, and although they've both been bulletproof mechanically, I could really do without all the small problems (revised parts, infotainment instability until 4+ updates are released, etc.) that second-year buyers got to skip over.
The CX-90 is made in Japan. Only the CX-50 will be assembled in Alabama.

I find car and driver to be big mazda fans, they've updated the CX90 page with the competitor ranking, and they still have it placing below the Koreans. But they do give it a 9/10 and above all other real options (Bronco and Raptor being above the CX90 but total niche buys IMO so I don't consider those).

Alex on autos went a bit into detail on the "harsh" shifting, saying it's a product of the transmission design. Which was encouraging for me, I was wondering if it's a potential build issue. It's also ok for me since I'm not looking for butter smooth over driving enjoyment.

The negatives I've seen (and mentioned) are not big ones for me, but I do wonder what the negatives will do for sales to people moving people/stuff. For me, I guess no deal breakers, but I just had expected more oomph and I do still wonder about the "new" factor of the components.

Since I'm not off lease til almost 2025 I guess I can wait it out.

I find car and driver to be big mazda fans, they've updated the CX90 page with the competitor ranking, and they still have it placing below the Koreans. But they do give it a 9/10 and above all other real options (Bronco and Raptor being above the CX90 but total niche buys IMO so I don't consider those).

Alex on autos went a bit into detail on the "harsh" shifting, saying it's a product of the transmission design. Which was encouraging for me, I was wondering if it's a potential build issue. It's also ok for me since I'm not looking for butter smooth over driving enjoyment.

The negatives I've seen (and mentioned) are not big ones for me, but I do wonder what the negatives will do for sales to people moving people/stuff. For me, I guess no deal breakers, but I just had expected more oomph and I do still wonder about the "new" factor of the components.

Since I'm not off lease til almost 2025 I guess I can wait it out.

With all the Kia/ hyundai recalls, I am amazed anyone can recommend them.

With all the Kia/ hyundai recalls, I am amazed anyone can recommend them.

They do provide a lot for the price, and they're spacious as well. I personally wouldn't consider a Santa Fe or Sorento, but the Telluride and Palisade are pretty nice for the price.

A lot of the feedback has been that the driving experience is great, which is very encouraging. People seem to be saying that the power is "just right" for the CX-90, so when they put it into the CX-70, it should make for a really nice car.

Back