CX-90 Reviews are out

Seems like the Cx-90 ranking always gets hammered in these reviews because of interior space compared to the peer group.

Equally, the Cx-90 always gets acknowledged as being the best drivers car, but reviewers have decided that’s not important anymore in a 3 row.

Not sure these comparison tests are as useful now because the CX-90 (and the CX-9 for that matter) really doesn’t fit with the round town soccer mom cargo haulers any more. It’s a drivers car with some cargo capacity, so it needs a different comparison peer group. I think the CX-70 will compare better because that peer group is less focused on cargo capacity. And if the CX-90 had a rear seat delete option it would probably go right to the top of the 2 row peer group.

Agreed. I also see the CX-90 gets really dinged on price. The strange things is that the CX-90 top trim is priced significantly different in Canada than in the U.S. So as a Canadian customer, the CX-90 value is infinitely better.

US price breakdown (price based on the Motortrend Article)
Mazda CX-90 Premium Plus Turbo S $61,920
Honda Pilot AWD Elite $53,725
Kia Telluride SX Prestige X-Line $54,070

Canada Price (Most expensive trim of each model, MSRP only, no freight, tax, fees)
Mazda CX-90 Signature (Premium Plus Turbo S) $63,300 CAD
Honda Pilot Black Edition $62,850 CAD
Kia Telluride X-Pro $62,795.00 CAD

So where in the US it looks like the CX-90 top trim is a fair step more expensive than the competition, in Canada it is about the same price. For the same price in Canada, the interior quality and driving dynamics now have lot bigger impact. I honestly don't understand how the two market seems so different pricing wise.

I'll have to reserve my sentiment until I'm able to drive one, but it seems what made the cx9 so beloved has now turned against it the past hlf decade. It's amazing how the cx9 was the antithesis of the fs suv, but its competition is lauded for being what essentially what fs suvs were 5 yrs ago, big, lumbering, clumsy but cushy vehicles with functionality and people/cargo room.

As for our cx9, theres no suv in its class I would trade it for. My wife drove a loaded gv80, and she was like, meh not dbl what my cx9 is worth.

Seems like the Cx-90 ranking always gets hammered in these reviews because of interior space compared to the peer group.

Equally, the Cx-90 always gets acknowledged as being the best drivers car, but reviewers have decided that’s not important anymore in a 3 row.

Not sure these comparison tests are as useful now because the CX-90 (and the CX-9 for that matter) really doesn’t fit with the round town soccer mom cargo haulers any more. It’s a drivers car with some cargo capacity, so it needs a different comparison peer group. I think the CX-70 will compare better because that peer group is less focused on cargo capacity. And if the CX-90 had a rear seat delete option it would probably go right to the top of the 2 row peer group.

Yeah, I tend to agree. All of these vehicles are good - it is a question of what you, the buyer, wants. I no longer have small kids but make long drives, with lots of stuff, and like the size and driving dynamics of the CX-9. The CX-90, MDX, Q7 are all right up my alley. Price wise, in that category, the CX-90 is good.

For me. touch screen is overrated although it depends on your priority and preferences. I don't have Apple CarPlay on my 2018 MX-5 and wouldn't pay to get it installed. I connect my iPhone to USB and able to listen to Apple music or SXM app on my iPhone. Works for me. I have Apple CarPlay on my VW Tiguan (soon to be replaced by CX-90) and really the only thing I gain is able to listen and respond via Siri to text messages. So, the comment by Edmunds on the CX-90 infotainment screen means absolutely nothing to me. I hardly touch the screen once I start driving.
I just did 8 hrs this weekend driving for a weekend away, first drive in our other vehicle with touch screen. Just me in car so I was working the map and music alone. I'm sure I'll get more used to it, but really didn't enjoy it. Constant mis-hits (maybe icons smaller than avg? Maybe a screen sensitivity issue?) and also needing to lean forward to reach.

I guess perhaps once I'm more used to it, it will be fine. But at this point give me the dial. (Or both options...)

Drove the PHEV back to back with Turbo S and Turbo yesterday. The PHEV is shockingly quiet. When you turn the thing on, it makes zero engine noise. Actually found that a little off putting as I could not tell when the car was on. From a driving perspective, all three cars felt like they had the same power. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between any of them. Not sure what gas was in any of them but they all felt pretty much the same. Was not expecting that. The Turbo S might be faster, but was not so dramatic that you could tell just driving around and even flooring it. Honestly, if the regular CX-90 could be had with the nicest interior, I would get that!

The jerkiness people have mentioned with the transmission, I did not feel. Did not really notice it at all. The shifter I don't like but I guess you would get used to it.

I know some people like the "sound" from the PHEV but to me, it sounded like a 4 cylinder engine. The inline 6 still sounds different. I would still like them to give the option to remove the sound all together but road noise is still very good.

From a handling perspective, the two inline 6 cars felt very different - in a much better way than the PHEV. The PHEV handles like my CX-9. Good but weighty. The Turbo and Turbo S just felt much better to me - even thought they weigh a lot more than my CX-9. The other thing I noticed about the CX-90 is that you can park it anywhere- the turning radius is crazy small.

Getting back in the CX-9 after spending a couple of hours in the CX-90, it feels really small - like getting into a CX-5 after being in a CX-9. Weird sensation. The CX-90, once driving feels like a much smaller car but from the outside, it is HUGE.

And on a side note, I have noticed that certain reviewers have been complaining about the driver side air vent - and how it hit you when getting in the car. Honestly, I tried to hit it and you can't. You would have to make every effort to get in right by the dash and behind the steering wheel to have it hit you. Lot of BS going around for this vehicle and not sure why. Not the car for everyone - I would not get it if I had three small kids - but if it fit the bill, it is a nice car. And with the move from Audi and others to move to big digital screens for everything - a little old school.

I may end up buying a CX-90 this year instead of waiting. My CX-9 needs new tires and I may just take that $1000 and do the swap now. I drive about 25K a year and given the poor trade in value - it would cost me close to $4-5K in trade in if I waited another year.

Drove the PHEV back to back with Turbo S and Turbo yesterday. The PHEV is shockingly quiet. When you turn the thing on, it makes zero engine noise. Actually found that a little off putting as I could not tell when the car was on. From a driving perspective, all three cars felt like they had the same power. Honestly, I could not tell the difference between any of them. Not sure what gas was in any of them but they all felt pretty much the same. Was not expecting that. The Turbo S might be faster, but was not so dramatic that you could tell just driving around and even flooring it. Honestly, if the regular CX-90 could be had with the nicest interior, I would get that!

The jerkiness people have mentioned with the transmission, I did not feel. Did not really notice it at all. The shifter I don't like but I guess you would get used to it.

I know some people like the "sound" from the PHEV but to me, it sounded like a 4 cylinder engine. The inline 6 still sounds different. I would still like them to give the option to remove the sound all together but road noise is still very good.

From a handling perspective, the two inline 6 cars felt very different - in a much better way than the PHEV. The PHEV handles like my CX-9. Good but weighty. The Turbo and Turbo S just felt much better to me - even thought they weigh a lot more than my CX-9. The other thing I noticed about the CX-90 is that you can park it anywhere- the turning radius is crazy small.

Getting back in the CX-9 after spending a couple of hours in the CX-90, it feels really small - like getting into a CX-5 after being in a CX-9. Weird sensation. The CX-90, once driving feels like a much smaller car but from the outside, it is HUGE.

And on a side note, I have noticed that certain reviewers have been complaining about the driver side air vent - and how it hit you when getting in the car. Honestly, I tried to hit it and you can't. You would have to make every effort to get in right by the dash and behind the steering wheel to have it hit you. Lot of BS going around for this vehicle and not sure why. Not the car for everyone - I would not get it if I had three small kids - but if it fit the bill, it is a nice car. And with the move from Audi and others to move to big digital screens for everything - a little old school.

I may end up buying a CX-90 this year instead of waiting. My CX-9 needs new tires and I may just take that $1000 and do the swap now. I drive about 25K a year and given the poor trade in value - it would cost me close to $4-5K in trade in if I waited another year.
Really nice feedback! 2 questions:

1) Since you drove the PHEV, did it have any audibly projected sound when going in reverse? Cars like the RAV4 PRIME have an awful "angelic chorus" as soon as you go in reverse to alert folks to get out of the way!

2) Why is this car no good if you have 3 small kids?!!!

Really nice feedback! 2 questions:

1) Since you drove the PHEV, did it have any audibly projected sound when going in reverse? Cars like the RAV4 PRIME have an awful "angelic chorus" as soon as you go in reverse to alert folks to get out of the way!

2) Why is this car no good if you have 3 small kids?!!!

1. No. I parked the car (reversed the car in) and it makes no weird sound.
2. I think the two + two is starting configuration is bad. Having to put the 5th passenger (3rd kid?) in the rear because of the two first captains chairs is not ideal. I am the youngest child and I could see my mom putting me back there! :)

1. No. I parked the car (reversed the car in) and it makes no weird sound.
2. I think the two + two is starting configuration is bad. Having to put the 5th passenger (3rd kid?) in the rear because of the two first captains chairs is not ideal. I am the youngest child and I could see my mom putting me back there! :)
No sound while going in reverse is a little concerning...

I agree on the 2+2. My search is restricted to cars w/2nd row bench.

No sound while going in reverse is a little concerning...

I agree on the 2+2. My search is restricted to cars w/2nd row bench.

Well, it is not a truck - making wacky beeping noises would be off-putting.

And for the performance that everyone is complaining about - the 0-60 times are faster than what you would get with a similarly priced ($62K) MDX or a Infiniti QX60 (7.5 and 7.3 respectively). And the passing times (45-65) are close to a second faster than the MDX or QX70 - and almost 2 second faster than a CX-9. In fact it is just 0.3 seconds slower than a Genesis GV70 or Audi SQ5 - both of which are 2 row SUVs. The people saying their CX-9 is faster - on regular gas - are smoking something funny.

Both the inline 6 and PHEV are monster engines. Not the car for everyone, and I would argue not in the same league as a Q7 or X7, but all the whining about the "performance" of the new engines is just silly in my mind.

I think the performance concerns are more related to feel than actual time performance numbers. The throttle house guys said in their review they don’t feel the torque, which is in stark contrast to the CX-9, which is all torque down low and no horsepower feel.

It sounds like the way the transmission is tuned it removes the instant torque surge that gives that feeling of fast. In return you get stellar fuel economy. Hopefully they can tweak the transmission response a bit over the next few years to improve the power delivery.

Well, it is not a truck - making wacky beeping noises would be off-putting.

And for the performance that everyone is complaining about - the 0-60 times are faster than what you would get with a similarly priced ($62K) MDX or a Infiniti QX60 (7.5 and 7.3 respectively). And the passing times (45-65) are close to a second faster than the MDX or QX70 - and almost 2 second faster than a CX-9. In fact it is just 0.3 seconds slower than a Genesis GV70 or Audi SQ5 - both of which are 2 row SUVs. The people saying their CX-9 is faster - on regular gas - are smoking something funny.

Both the inline 6 and PHEV are monster engines. Not the car for everyone, and I would argue not in the same league as a Q7 or X7, but all the whining about the "performance" of the new engines is just silly in my mind.
After owning many performance oriented cars (MS6/STi/GolfR/WRX/335xi), I honestly am happy with the power in the TS. In sport D mode its easily a lower/mid 6 second 0-60. Full manual mode sport m-drive, starting in 2nd and shifting at 5k I think it can get into the 5 second territory. The car does really well in the 30-80 range, again full manual mode shifting at 5k (peak power). I suspect going to lighter wheels will likely make a noticeable difference for those more performance oriented folks. The 21-in setup is heavy, a lightweight forged 19-in with meatier sidewalls will likely shave noticeable rotating mass.

I have found that how you drive it actually does make a difference, flooring from a standstill and soft launching (dampen the initial throttle input for a split second) prior to going full throttle feels different, I believe the latter is quicker. I have noticed that too sharp of input from a stop introduces a bit of a lag, likely due to the slipping clutch in the transmission. Letting the car get moving prior to throttling feels more normal auto off the line.

I have started to have more fun with it in the curvy roads, and am slowly increasing speed on some of my favorite round-abouts. I am starting to wonder if the limits of the vehicle might be farther then I am comfortable taking a nearly 5k lb SUV, as I am throttling through the curves and not getting any tire squeal.

I have started to have more fun with it in the curvy roads, and am slowly increasing speed on some of my favorite round-abouts. I am starting to wonder if the limits of the vehicle might be farther then I am comfortable taking a nearly 5k lb SUV, as I am throttling through the curves and not getting any tire squeal.

The joys of new car ownership! I remember feeling the same way when I got my CX-9, wondering how quickly I could take certain bends in the road.

What tires does the CX-90 with 21s come with?

I ended up with the Toyo all-seasons, I forget what the other variant is, but comparable all-seasons.

The long wheel base / center of mass being well behind the steering axle makes the driving feel pretty much unrivaled by anything that isnt a similar config, anything with a transversely mounted engine simply will never be able to compete. I am sure with performance tires the CX-90 would be a killer fun SUV on the street.

The joys of new car ownership! I remember feeling the same way when I got my CX-9, wondering how quickly I could take certain bends in the road.

I knew I could not be the only one pushing limits on turning speeds with my cx-9 ;)

My CX-90 came with Falken ZIEX CT60A A/S 275/45/21
20230531CX90Tire.jpg

These Falken Tires feels OK, but in the future I will replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires which I absolutely love.

Back