CX-90 Reviews are out

Car and driver is all over the place. Supposedly, in their newest magazine (Apple News+) , they do a 5-car comparison against the usual competitors and the CX-90 wins.

I Was gonna say I used to like car and driver, but their review of the cx-90 this year are all over the place. Yes they give it a 9/10, but that is behind the hyundai kia Mid size suv, and the same score as the grand cherokee and the toyota higlander.

I remember another 5 car comparaison but can’t find it anymore, if i recall the cx-90 was third on it. It was scored a lot lower because of the lesser interior space ( longer car than its competitors, but with somehow less interior space and practicality).

Last edited:
You are right. The C&D magazine article ranks the CX-90 first:

IMG_9798.jpeg

Looking at the practical stowage numbers on this 5 car comparison (at the bottom of the table), it is easy to see how the CX-90 may fall off the ranking anytime significant weight is given to interior space:

IMG_9799.jpeg

SavageGeese review is up

An excellent review. I always appreciate their honesty.

Lots to be excited about, but also lots of room for improvement and adjustment, which is typical of a brand new model. I'm excited to see how (or if) they adapt to these critiques over the next few years.

I always appreciate their honesty.
Same. I think they did dance around their negative opinions a bit but I understand why.

They are hitting the nail on the head re: design philosophy and the product's intended customer.

I should be so happy that Mazda is prioritizing the driving enthusiasts but doing that makes me a bit nervous for the future of a brand that is trying to sell a non-mainstream product to the mainstream. I hope they sell the units they plan.

I should be so happy that Mazda is prioritizing the driving enthusiasts but doing that makes me a bit nervous for the future of a brand that is trying to sell a non-mainstream product to the mainstream. I hope they sell the units they plan.

Yep, I share the same sentiment. I think it would have been fine if the CX-90 was a bit softer and somehow lighter. Maybe the smaller wheel size options won't be as jarring as the 21" config.

Same. I think they did dance around their negative opinions a bit but I understand why.

They are hitting the nail on the head re: design philosophy and the product's intended customer.

Agree. Reading between the lines, sounds like they do not believe in the design or the execution of said design.

Funny. I’m at dealer for service and just had a signature 90 out. Very smooth. Nice rig but large and floaty.

Attachments

• IMG_9058.jpeg
    IMG_9058.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9057.jpeg
    IMG_9057.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
Yep, I share the same sentiment. I think it would have been fine if the CX-90 was a bit softer and somehow lighter. Maybe the smaller wheel size options won't be as jarring as the 21" config.
I purchased a Preferred Plus with 19s and can attest that the ride is compliant without being too soft. I test drove top of the line Turbo S with the 21s and found it a tad jumpy over rough surfaces but then, that's just my subjective opinion. All vehicles have compromises and having cross-shopped the Palisade, it had it's drawbacks as well, the worst of which was the market adjustments. Won't pay those and in fact got a great under MSRP deal on the CX-90 which clinched things.

Now if Mazda can just come up with a solution for the false BSM alerts . . .

I purchased a Preferred Plus with 19s and can attest that the ride is compliant without being too soft. I test drove top of the line Turbo S with the 21s and found it a tad jumpy over rough surfaces but then, that's just my subjective opinion. All vehicles have compromises and having cross-shopped the Palisade, it had it's drawbacks as well, the worst of which was the market adjustments. Won't pay those and in fact got a great under MSRP deal on the CX-90 which clinched things.

Now if Mazda can just come up with a solution for the false BSM alerts . . .
by false BSM alerts, do you mean when driving along and it goes off without a car being nearby? that happens to me sometimes on my commute at one point where there's a guardrail along the side of the oncoming lane. it's not really near me so don't know why it's going off though, and don't even know if that's what's setting it off. i used to get more false alarms in my '13 lexus es, but that was an older model with presumably older tech.

by false BSM alerts, do you mean when driving along and it goes off without a car being nearby? that happens to me sometimes on my commute at one point where there's a guardrail along the side of the oncoming lane. it's not really near me so don't know why it's going off though, and don't even know if that's what's setting it off. i used to get more false alarms in my '13 lexus es, but that was an older model with presumably older tech.
Yeah, it happens when there is nothing there to set it off, usually after the vehicle has been sitting for awhile. It was cool and misty in the Chicago area yesterday and the thing was going off like crazy, staying on for minutes at a time. I can't figure out whether it's environmental, electrical or a software issue, but I hope Mazda does soon because it was driving me so nuts yesterday, I had to turn the whole i-sense system off.

Not a CX-90 review, but a lot of follow on comments and comparison with CX-90 in this follow on review of the Toyota Grand Higlander by Savagegeese.

It helps put their CX-90 review in perspective.

i will have to check this out. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'm looking for negatives, but to me the SavageGeese review was a red flag. I don't like the idea of dumping 60k+ CAD on a vehicle with an untested engine and tranny, and so many lingering questions.

At this point I'm only waiting for the Throttle House review. I feel they'd overlook quirks if the thing drives. If they aren't for it...well, if I'm not already out, I would be then.

Throttle House already did their review, it was part of the drag race they did with it. (And they had done a static review at the reveal in California).

I honestly believe the one to get will be two years from now model ( the 2026 model?). It usually takes at least two years to implement changes since the 2025 model are likely already in production or very soon to be.

Similarly, the 2018 CX-9 had a lot of consumer comment from the 2016 model added. (Retuned over sensitive i-active sense, improved access to rear row, etc).

It is also possible (and I wish) the CX-70 is currently delayed to implement those consumer comments.

Last edited:
Throttle house review

Static review

Driving/drag race review

Every new model will be improved over time. Look how much better the CX5 is now than it was a few years ago.
I think our expectations were pretty high for the CX90 (the hype and marketing by the company itself certainly fed into that), but in reality, it’s an ambitious project for a small company with limited resources.

On a different note, I wonder why they didn’t use real wood in the dark interior like they have in the lighter coloured Signature trim. or real metal for some details in the interior…
My cx5 has real wood and the cx90 does not.
A Mazda3 GT has metal speaker grills and the flagship cx90 model trim does not. That doesn’t feel right to me.
Maybe the cx70 will have something special like that.

Geez…now I am just shifting the CX90 expectations to the 70.

Back