CX-90 Reviews are out

No. And I don't need to. As a matter of fact I stopped giving them clicks a long time ago because of they're usual bashing of Mazda vehicles, no matter which model is it .
??? This’s from Motof Trend review:

“Following years of anticipation, Mazda's new front-engine, rear-drive-based architecture and accompanying powertrains arrive with lofty aims: enable the enthusiastic dynamics the automaker is known for while elevating Mazda to a market segment above mainstream. Appearing first under the CX-90 three-row crossover, this hardware successfully delivers a rousing and upscale drive—attributes that nevertheless don't make the 2024 Mazda CX-90 all it should be.
Technical director Frank Markus succinctly summarized what it's like to drive the CX-90 hard: "Zowie." Senior features editor Kristen Lee found it "surprisingly fun to drive quickly," with "admirable chassis control and refinement" key to that poise. Features editor Scott Evans praised its handling, calling it better than everything else in its class by a wide margin, with a caveat ⋯”

Nothing but praises to me!

And no, Motortrend is not an example of critics, there are plenty of other sources out there that are critical against Mazda but also give them credit when its deserved, which is more often than not.
Such as?

If you think these guys are non-bias against Mazda, you must be new in the automotive news world and you don't tipically read Mazda news. Go on they're website and search for Mazda. Now go through they're reviews and tell me a positive review of a Mazda car.
Yeah I must be new in the automotive news world and I don't typically read Mazda news. Hence I know Motor Trend selected Mazda CX-9 as the 2008 Motor Trend (New) SUV of the Year when it was just released. What a biased magazine against Mazda! 🤔

Motor Trend Names the Mazda CX-9 its 2008 Sport/Utility of the Year

I'm posting this here realizing it'll get hate. But at this point, if you love the CX90 for what is does, I get that. Nevertheless, this is not a great effort at the end of the day.

The only thing I didn’t like about that review is the fact that there is no mention of the competition. Somehow everywhere else the kia/hyundai comes on top, but watching that review you would think the Pilot is the best SUV ever. I don’t really like the Korean personally, but it would be nice for them to be mentioned.

For the CX-90, one of the big thing that they overlooked is how “NPC” the Pilot is. I would never be able to convince my wife to get it. I think they summed it up well, they love the idea of the CX-90, but the kinks need ro be ironed out, which I am sure mazda will do incrementally with every yearly model change. I also don’t think the suspension is as punishing as they make it sound. And yes, it is smaller inside than the competition. It is fine for me with only an occasional need for the third row, but the others are better mini-van.

I'm posting this here realizing it'll get hate. But at this point, if you love the CX90 for what is does, I get that. Nevertheless, this is not a great effort at the end of the day.

Honestly, who cares? The CX-90 is a smashing success. I hate to say it but those people that want to "define" what these cars are, are clearly not in touch with the Mazda's target audience for this car.

The only thing I didn’t like about that review is the fact that there is no mention of the competition. Somehow everywhere else the kia/hyundai comes on top, but watching that review you would think the Pilot is the best SUV ever. I don’t really like the Korean personally, but it would be nice for them to be mentioned.

For the CX-90, one of the big thing that they overlooked is how “NPC” the Pilot is. I would never be able to convince my wife to get it. I think they summed it up well, they love the idea of the CX-90, but the kinks need ro be ironed out, which I am sure mazda will do incrementally with every yearly model change. I also don’t think the suspension is as punishing as they make it sound. And yes, it is smaller inside than the competition. It is fine for me with only an occasional need for the third row, but the others are better mini-van.
The Pilot is probably the better all-around hauler. Certainly a good 'long term' pick.

I'd like to see the CX90 compared it to other niche cars that 'car people' may consider vs the mass-market stuff. For example, base Q7 3.0T, Infinity QX70, or MDX, or even the Volvo XC90.

Last edited:
Cx-90 vs MDX

Interesting long term info about the volvo XC-90

Not sure the Q7 is in the same price range…

And that will turn out to be a big strategic error for the PHEV since it will not qualify for the $7500 tax credit. The PHEV will have a tougher time in the US because of that.
The law was changed to allow Japanese cars to get the tax credit. I bought my CX-90 PHEV in September and got the $7500 off. They make you sign an IRS form saying the dealer can get the $7500 if the dealer gives it to the customer.

Cx-90 vs MDX

Agree it's not apples to apples but they are cars that 'car people' consider.

Base price is under 60K for the 2.0T; 65K for the 3.0T.

I watched this the other night and one of the comments on the interior of the CX90 perfectly aligned with my thoughts after time spent in a CX90.
It looks so nice in pictures but I found actually using the interior, there were things that diminished the perception of quality quite quickly. At least in the tan interior that was missing the wood inlays. I am a bit baffled why choosing the dark colour interior in the top trim eliminates the wood.
After spending time in the CX90 (tan interior), when I was back in my CX5 I felt it was actually nicer. Real wood trim, nicer details...so to me the interior of the CX90 is a step backwards from my Signature CX5.
So, thus far I wasn't impressed with the drive-train (was missing some signature inline 6 characteristics) and the interior....The impressive fuel economy and the exterior styling are the pros at this point for me.
Starting to eye other brands now for my Spring purchase, unless the CX70 fixes some of these issues.

Agree it's not apples to apples but they are cars that 'car people' consider.

Base price is under 60K for the 2.0T; 65K for the 3.0T.

Interesting. I do think the Mazda Cx-90 is oddly priced in the US. The top trim is significantly cheaper in Canada.

In Cad$ a base Q7 is $73K MSRP, a Signature CX-90 is $63K MSRP. With the exchange rate this makes the Canadian CX-90 a lot cheaper than the US model. But it works and they are selling well, so even they seem overpriced in the US it doesn’t look like there are any incentives for mazda to reduce the price.

So for American consumers maybe it make sense to cross shop with a Q7, but in Canada where I live not really. That makes things pretty confusing.

Cx-90 vs MDX

I heavily cross shopped the XC-90 with the CX-9. I loved the XC90. I find it to be the best looking SUV with a great interior. Was ready to make the switch but when in the showroom, talking with people waiting in the service department, they all said make sure to get the extended warranty and expect to be here a lot.

Agreed for the XC-90. Loved it they day it came out, but everyone i know that owned previous volvo’s said they were sinking money into them. Reliability just isn’t there apparently. May not be worst than the germans if you are used to it, but coming from japanese and non-luxury cars, it is a bit much.

Honestly, who cares? The CX-90 is a smashing success. I hate to say it but those people that want to "define" what these cars are, are clearly not in touch with the Mazda's target audience for this car.
I hope you are not referring to Savagegeese as he is a huge Mazda fan if you follow his channel. He is one of the only youtube reviewers who actually says what he thinks.

As a guy who has owned two Volvos in the recent past, I won't be going back to them until the reliability is better than Audi/BMW.

They're comfortable and drive nicely but they're expensive to repair and my last one suffered from really weird gremlins.

I'm going to hold judgement on both the cx90 and cx70 until more time has passed. Lucky for me, one my neighbors just bought a cx90 so I'll sit back and listen.

As a guy who has owned two Volvos in the recent past, I won't be going back to them until the reliability is better than Audi/BMW.

They're comfortable and drive nicely but they're expensive to repair and my last one suffered from really weird gremlins.

I'm going to hold judgement on both the cx90 and cx70 until more time has passed. Lucky for me, one my neighbors just bought a cx90 so I'll sit back and listen.

Unfortunately I have a close friend with a 2018 XC90 that he bought used. Like you, he's had some issues with it, mostly with the air suspension and related electronics.

Electronics are Volvo's weakness for sure. Mine wouldn't hold an alignment and went through tires and brakes like no other.

Autoguide mentioned they averaged 28.9mpg (8.0l/100km) during their test drive.
Since September when I got my CX-90 PHEV, I average 68 mpg. I drive the speed limit, I use aggressive brake regeneration, I coast when I can, I have learned to drive like old man to save gas. When you get a PHEV a lot of us use mpg like a game where we try to get the best mpg we can. I only have to fill up a couple times a year since I do not commute and use the 26-28 EV miles most trips. I like to run in Sport mode once a week to warm up the engine. Earlier question ask about heating when using the pre-condition if the PHEV has a heat pump. Yes, it does. It uses that when pugged in and you want to pre-condition the cabin before leaving the house. I can hear a motor or some prom working when that come on. It's quiet but it surely does not use the gas engine. I use this feature all the time and never has the engine come on.

Back