CX-90 Reviews are out

Throttle House already did their review, it was part of the drag race they did with it. (And they had done a static review at the reveal in California).

I honestly believe the one to get will be two years from now model ( the 2026 model?). It usually takes at least two years to implement changes since the 2025 model are likely already in production or very soon to be.

Similarly, the 2018 CX-9 had a lot of consumer comment from the 2016 model added. (Retuned over sensitive i-active sense, improved access to rear row, etc).

It is also possible (and I wish) the CX-70 is currently delayed to implement those consumer comments.

Yeah, they did that stupid comparison between the CX90 and the X-5 and GLE, which are both really two row SUVs.

Personally I can't believe how much faith people put in these "influencers".

The manager of the dealer I go to told me that the CX-90 was slated to be made at the huge Alabama plant. However, they cannot find enough workers to have a second shift. They are almost there but it's tough finding candidates in that area to fill the needs. So, they continue making CX-90 in Japan. I am happy my CX-90 was made in Japan. I have faith in Japanese made vehicles as they have proven to be better than other country output.

Yeah, they did that stupid comparison between the CX90 and the X-5 and GLE, which are both really two row SUVs.

Personally I can't believe how much faith people put in these "influencers".

Well, that was just for fun, because why not. There are tons of identical reviews online, these guys decided to do something different. As irrelevant as the drag race was in principle, you shouldn’t discount the review for it. A lot of the comments and points they brought are very relevant:

1. In a rolling race, the CX-90 is surprisingly well matched to these 5 row luxury SUV brands.
2. They did bring a telluride (or was it a palisade?) for a drag race later in the video. The CX-90 beat it as expected.
3. The CX-90 doesn’t launch as well as it’s number suggests, and the torque feel is absent. This is a common thread from a few reviews, this brand new electrically assisted transmission doesn’t seem to be able to launch hard and take advantage of the engines torque. I test drove a CX-90 and had the similar feeling, a lot more of mid range and high rpm power than my CX-9, but a lot less low range torque present than the CX-9, even though the engine can develop more.

Agreed it is not a serious review and agreed it is not really a good comparison, but it is a different take on it, and I appreciate the varied opinions.

Not really a review but CX90 got top safety marks. Definitely a huge plus.

That's great news!
Thanks for sharing.

Anyone know if there is more of a difference between the lower and higher trim's headlight design besides the adaptability? I see the lower trims are auto-levelling (at least in Canada they are)

Interesting to compare lower and higher trims' headlight performance.
The vertical component of the adaptive headlights must make quite a difference. That, and I know the headlights can come from factory aimed low.

I wish Mazda would bring the matrix system from Europe! Our '22 F-150 has it and it's impressive to watch work.

Lower Trim:
1694612119629.png

Higher Trim:
1694612107456.png

Last edited:
When the new updated side impact test was introduced, the Mazda CX-5 was the only SUV on the market to receive a good rating without any modification or improvements from the manufacturer. I don’t know if the CX-9 was ever tested, but it looks like that mazda platform is a more solid all around platform than the competition.

Source: Small SUVs struggle in new, tougher side test

The cx-5 didn’t get a + rating, but it isn’t because of the side impact test. Mazda has been doing pretty good on those. I can’t really tell why it didn’t get a + rating.

Last edited:
Throttle House already did their review, it was part of the drag race they did with it. (And they had done a static review at the reveal in California).

I honestly believe the one to get will be two years from now model ( the 2026 model?). It usually takes at least two years to implement changes since the 2025 model are likely already in production or very soon to be.

Similarly, the 2018 CX-9 had a lot of consumer comment from the 2016 model added. (Retuned over sensitive i-active sense, improved access to rear row, etc).

It is also possible (and I wish) the CX-70 is currently delayed to implement those consumer comments.
I did see those 2 reviews, I figured they would do a more in depth one, they generally do pretty comprehensive reviews and i think they alluded to such at the cali release. I think they do a great overview in their full reviews and speak to driving dynamics in more depth than others, so I hope one is coming.

The drag race was interesting to me. I know many questioned the point, but to me if you're gonna play in the upper premium/luxury space, you need to power. I think it did quite well.

The C&D review is online now.

The C&D review is online now.

Impressive showing by Mazda in this review.

From Motor Trend 2024 SUV of the Year review:

2024 Mazda CX-90 SUVOTY Review: Great to Drive Isn’t Enough

I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day checking out the new CX-90. Still hate the all-black interior which makes me depressed. And the narrow driver seat isn’t comfortable for me and I’m not a big person. Worse, sitting there I simply can’t feel luxurious on this almost $60K 3-row CUV. The steering wheel adjustment isn’t even electrical like other luxury vehicles.

I wouldn’t pay $60K+ for this CX-90.

To each your opinion, but it looks like you didn’t sit in the 60k trim.

Electrical steering wheel adjustment is clearly on the list of accessories included in the top trims:
  • Power tilt & telescopic steering column

I went to my Mazda dealer on the other day checking out the new CX-90. Still hate the all-black interior which makes me depressed. And the narrow driver seat isn’t comfortable for me and I’m not a big person. Worse, sitting there I simply can’t feel luxurious on this almost $60K 3-row CUV. The steering wheel adjustment isn’t even electrical like other luxury vehicles.

I’m loving everything about my white/white CX-90 and drive around with a smile on my face from all the fun I’m having with its beautiful color and interior design. Outstanding design and craftsmanship inside and out.

To each your opinion, but it looks like you didn’t sit in the 60k trim.

Electrical steering wheel adjustment is clearly on the list of accessories included in the top trims:
  • Power tilt & telescopic steering column
The one I sat in doesn’t have it but the window sticker is almost $60K without TTL.

My aother concern is I’d never get a brand-new designed engine and transmission. Always wait at least a couple of years and see. Just don’t want to be a guinea pig.

I am with you on the first year of new engine and transmission.

But it sounds like you were sitting in a lower trim model, not sure how the sticker price reached 60k though, maybe it was a PHEV model, they do have about a 7k premium over the inline 6. Or there was some kind of markup and accesories on it.

Can we please stop posting Motortrend news? These guys are clearly extremely bias against Mazda on ALL THEY'RE MAZDA RELATED ARTICLES .

And yes, you sat into a lower trim. The higher trim has electric steering wheel adjustment. And no, Mazda is not a luxury brand and is not trying to be. They are trying to be in the premium segment or niche segments.

Can we please stop posting Motortrend news? These guys are clearly extremely bias against Mazda on ALL THEY'RE MAZDA RELATED ARTICLES .

And yes, you sat into a lower trim. The higher trim has electric steering wheel adjustment. And no, Mazda is not a luxury brand and is not trying to be. They are trying to be in the premium segment or niche segments.
I prefer to see what they think and judge myself. I didn't think the review sounded biased. The limited space and low speed trans characteristics is a common thing mentioned in reviews. The infotainment being hard to use will always be YMMV, and again a common thing across any brand reviews. It's almost a surprise when someone says "Great intuitive infotainment".

To me their conclusion was logical. Like the CX9, 5, 50, buyers will love them if they love driving. It's why I got my CX9. But most people value the space and functionality more in the class, so to me it's fair to point that out.

I can read ten glowing reviews if i read one, but I prefer a balance.

I am with you on the first year of new engine and transmission.

But it sounds like you were sitting in a lower trim model, not sure how the sticker price reached 60k though, maybe it was a PHEV model, they do have about a 7k premium over the inline 6. Or there was some kind of markup and accesories on it.
Yes, I definitely sat in a lower trim and it’s my fault not to find out what trim was the CX-90 I was looking as I was in a hurry. But the dealer sticker said the final price is almost $60K. And no, it wasn’t a PHEV as I opened the hood and checked out the 3.3L I6 Toubo.

In any event I wouldn’t get any 1st-year product including the brand-new 3.3L I6 Turbo and 8-speed automatic. Sadly based on the history Mazda is having plenty of examples of innovation which are problematic (Rotary engines、SkyActiv-G 2.5T、SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation、SkyActiv-D 2.2D Diesel and SkyActiv-X SPCCI 2.0L).

Have you actually read the MT review on CX-90? They actually clearly aren’t biased against Mazda. In fact, MT editors love Mazda vehicles (even said in the reviews) and had chosen Mazda CX-9 as SUVOTY several times for Gen-1 CX-9 which made me almost bought one back then. Luckily I didn’t get one eventually due to other reasons, otherwise I’d need worry about failed water pump and front transfer case constantly at this time as I usually keep my new car forever.

Even if you believe MT is biased against Mazda, like @GTA-CX9 said above you want to see what the critics said and make your own decision if what the MT said are legit. You want balance from both sides, not just one side.

Have you actually read the MT review on CX-90? They actually clearly aren’t biased against Mazda. In fact, MT editors love Mazda vehicles (even said in the reviews) and had chosen Mazda CX-9 as SUVOTY several times for Gen-1 CX-9 which made me almost bought one back then. Luckily I didn’t get one eventually due to other reasons, otherwise I’d need worry about failed water pump and front transfer case constantly at this time as I usually keep my new car forever.

Even if you believe MT is biased against Mazda, like @GTA-CX9 said above you want to see what the critics said and make your own decision if what the MT said are legit. You want balance from both sides, not just one side.
No. And I don't need to. As a matter of fact I stopped giving them clicks a long time ago because of they're usual bashing of Mazda vehicles, no matter which model is it . And no, Motortrend is not an example of critics, there are plenty of other sources out there that are critical against Mazda but also give them credit when its deserved, which is more often than not.
If you think these guys are non-bias against Mazda, you must be new in the automotive news world and you don't tipically read Mazda news. Go on they're website and search for Mazda. Now go through they're reviews and tell me a positive review of a Mazda car.

Back