CX-9 vs. Saturn Outlook (or others)

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum ... time will tell whether I stick around ... your advice could be a big factor too! Thanks in advance!

I am currently evaluating several options for my new car including the Mazda CX-9, Saturn Outlook, Honda Ridgeline, Chevy Avalanche, Lincoln MKX, etc. Since I don't want to put much $$$ down and I need/want AWD and fully loaded (ex-DVD player is fine), some things just don't fit the budget ... monthly payment needs to start with a "5" (or less if possible!). My two most enjoyable test drives (for cars that I can afford) were the CX-9 and the Saturn Outlook. Next weekend I'd like to do a back-to-back test drive to get my second opinion.

For anyone that looked at the Saturn Outlook before buying their CX-9, any input for me? All topics are fair game (reliability, looks, drive, electronics, pricing, features/amenities, etc.).

My initial impressions were:
- Outlook looks & drives more like an SUV ... CX-9 more like a car/mini-van
- Both had really nice electronics (NAV, climate controls, etc.) ... CX-9 did have a back-up camera which was nifty (available on '08 Outlooks I hear) & the credit card shaped key is cool!
- Outlook's interior plastics & carpet seemed a bit lower grade than the Mazda, as did the storage compartment latches, etc. (although the faux wood-trim was nicely done in the Outlook)
- CX-9 did not feel as "luxurious" in its appointments ... it felt like a stereotypical Mazda (fully functional, practical, nicely appointed Japanese car) ... I almost felt like I was driving a mini-van. Frankly, I'm not sure the Saturn was that much better in this regard but for some reason I just didn't feel as "cool" in the CX-9. With that said, telling your friends you just bought a "Saturn" has some risk as well but maybe the tide is turning there.
- sticker prices are comparable but I know that I can get the Mazda down ... not sure about this Saturn "no negotiation policy"

I believe my comments will sound like I'm partial towards the Saturn ... but in the end I will admit I love seeing a Stormy Blue Mica CX-9 rolling down the street and when I test drove one I couldn't really point to many/any flaws. Hence this post!

Notes:
- 90% of the time the third row seats will be folded down ... I have no kids
- I am replacing an Audi A6 which I love to drive but it just spends too much time in the shop and I feel like I want a bigger car for my 6'3" height

Thanks!
Scott

These were basicaly the 2 cars I considered and I chose the Mazda for the following reasons:

The Mazda drives a lot "sportier". The Saturn feels much heavier and somewhat underpowered. Also seemed to hunt between 5th and 6th gear on the highway. Autostick on the Saturn is useless.
The Saturn was just "too big".
The seats fit me better (GM are too wide with no side hold)
I liked the standard options (Bluethooth, HID headlights, 20in wheels, rain sensing wipers,etc.)
I think the car looks very cool.

I think the radio interface on the Saturn is better. Mazda also misses some basics that is almost expected in this segment (trip computer, outside mirror memory settings, auto dimming outside mirror, etc.)

I did the same comparison and selected the Mazda for these reasons:

Mazda handled, Saturn wallowed.
Mazda felt bigger inside and smaller outside.
Mazda looked WAY better (just ask my kids!)

One thing to check, being 6'3" also, make sure you have enough headroom if you get the sunroof. I'm OK, but it's close in my preferred seat position.

I looked at the cx-9 and Acardia but pretty much the same as the Outlook. I chose the Mazda based on bluetooth and back up camera plus a more sporty design.
I have no kids either and I felt the CX-9 being a little too big to begin with as I came from an Audi A4 but now I find the CX-9 perfect and love driving it around!

Read the Edmunds review of both. Read Car and Driver too. This got SUV of the year for some good reasons, IMO. It does not drive like a minivan. The Honda Pilot drives like a minivan. There is also another MT review I read where the CX-9 took first place in a shootout comparison with the MDX and the GMC Acadia.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0706_acura_mdx_gmc_acadia_mazda_cx_9

So their SUV of the year actually beat their Luxury SUV of the year in their own head to head comparison testing... Buy the Saturn though, because I'm not ready to see a ton of CX-9s on the road with me, as I LOVE watching everyone stare at this thing on the road in in parking lots. People go out of their way to see what it is, but what they don't know is: good looks are only scratching the surface of how good the vehicle is. I would buy it over an Acura, let alone a Saturn. Just me though.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, Outlook vs CX-9, the choice is obvious. Here are some independent comparisons. BTW, find me 1 comparo where CX-9 did NOT come first!

Motor Trend names Mazda CX-9 SUV of the Year!
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/112_0712_2008_mazda_cx_9

This is on the September 2007 issue of Popular Mechanics:
New Crossover Cars: Comparison Test

"Roomy, sporty, hot-selling crossovers are elbowing in on minivans and SUVs. We test six of the new family haulers on the track and in real-life driving (with video for each!)"

The Contenders:
Honda Pilot
Subaru Tribeca
Mazda CX-9
Toyota Highlander
Saturn Outlook
Hyundai Veracruz

ONE WINNER! Check it out:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4220226.html

---- Motor Trend - Comparison Test ----
The Contenders: Acura MDX, Mazda CX-9, GMC Acadia

ONE WINNER!
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0706_acura_mdx_gmc_acadia_mazda_cx_9

USA Today - A crossover that's just about perfect
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2007-02-02-cx-9_x.htm

Things that make you go Zooooooooom...with Room and Vroooom!! :)

Hope this helps!
Oh and BTW, also check out the number of recalls on the 2007 Outlook compared to 2007 CX-9. Initial quality will speak for itself.

Thanks Max. Turns out my one problem with initial quality wasn;t a factory problem, but a problem with the port-installed towing package.

We were in the same situation, but after test driving both and reading posts for several months, we are going with the Mazda. Here's why:

1. Outlook's transmission was laggy, and gear hunted up hills. Wife did not think it was responsive as compared to the Mazda. Note that GM just issued a transmission reflash, with somewhat acceptable results.

2. Outlook/Acadia have tons of "recalls", and by that I mean service bulletins, from door leaks to driveshaft bolts to transmission software. I would wait until the 2009 model to buy one if I really wanted to.

3. As comparatively loaded, the CX-9 is a better deal.

Other than that, I do admit that GM did a good job with the Outlook/Acadia. I like the available captain's chairs. But they are still too "trucky", even though acceleration/handling numbers are close to the CX-9. The Buick Enclave is the one I'd compare with the CX-9, but it is too expensive.

For most people it comes down to exterior looks: the Outlook looks more like a standard SUV, while the CX-9 is more of the sleeker crossover look. Which camp do you fall into?

I really appreciate everyone's input ... thanks!

After test driving the Enclave, Outlook & CX-9 again yesterday (with my fiance this time) we are heavily leaning towards the CX-9. Jabba's point about the Outlook transmission was perhaps the biggest drawback in my mind. I was driving an '07 Outlook so maybe they've tuned it better in the '08, but it just seemed sluggish & searching for the right gear as compared to the responsiveness of the Mazda.

While I like both of their styling I think my favorite of the bunch may be the Enclave. It's just a bit more money than I want to spend and it drives differently (more like floating on a cloud vs. connected to the road).

Two pet peeves with the CX-9 right now are:
- luxurious feel of the interior ... considering one of those faux wood-trim dash kits to jazz it up a bit ... the dealer I visited had one done up pretty nicely but you could see the seams in some areas that made it look like you had stickers on your dash! In the end, I'm sure I could live without
- NAV inoperable while driving > 4 mph ... safe, yes ... practical, no! reading up on the workarounds for this was not encouraging ... I don't want to clip any wires. Anyone know if that Toyota fix works where you access the engineering menu and override that feature?

Now I'm on to researching lease financing deals ...

Thanks again,
Scott

My 2 cents

I picked the CX-9 over the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX. My wife did not like the Highlanders boxy SUV look or the driving position. We both liked the MDX but could not justify an extra $10k for the set up we wanted. My wife is 5'3" and I'm 6'3" and we both have comfortable driving positions in the CX-9. The memory seats were a big selling feature or us (memory side mirrors would have been nice).

CX-7=LOVE: not sure what kind it was ... it was done by a local CT installer that the dealer worked with. Based on what I saw though I tend to agree ... leaving some of the thinner trim out might have made it look better.

Malmskov: so far two salesmen have not taken the time to even mention a voice activated NAV ... we've played around with the screen but haven't even mentioned the fact that it was "voice activated" ... I was starting to wonder whether it was true!

Travelinman: frankly I find it absurd that a car that costs this much doesn't have memory mirrors & a passenger seat with more than 3-way motion controls. I'm giving that up when my finace gets my Audi! Although, she's excited because the passenger seat in the CX-9 reclines fully so she'll have no problem snoozing while I'm behind the wheel on a long drive! (that amount of recline is the best, bar none of the 10 vehicles I've driven recently)

CX-9 S**ks

I CHOSE CX-9 OVER gmc ACADIA big mistake... My neighbor who bought the acadia was outside laughing at me as I could not make it up my driveway last night(grand touring AWD GT). My wifes 2000 town and country FWD van handled the driveway better...I definitely would recomend the Outlook or Acadia or for more luxury Buick also makes a version that looks fantastic..

"My neighbor who bought the acadia was outside laughing at me as I could not make it up my driveway last night"...

Just don't hold it against him when he asks you for a ride home from the dealership when his Acadia is in for repair work...(wink)

sounds like a driving lesson is in order, more than a car problem
Really a driving lesson?? The same driver has made it up the driveway in snowy conditions with the following vehicles: Mitsubishi Montero,Chrysler town & Country, Mitsubishi Outlander , GMC Acadia, and Mitsubishi Endeavor.
The truth is the AWD system is worthless on this vehicle and is ABSOLUTELY not worth the $$..The title of this thread is CX-9 vs Saturn Outlook (or others)
GO WITH OTHERS!!

Turn off TCS, or get driving lessons.
yes I can turn the TCL off however it turns back on @ 15 mph.. So while it may make it almost possible to get up the driveway it is not a practical feature for around town driving. The cx-9 is TERRIBLE in the snow in fact it is the WORST AWD suv I have ever driven or owned. So if you live in an area that you will not get any inclimate weather go ahead otherwise go with OTHERS.
As far as the Driving lesson see previous post...

Back