2017~2024 CX-5 turbo engine oil/filter change interval

I'm thinking of buying a CX-5 with a turbo but would like to know if the factory specs have a different oil change interval for it (vs the non-turbo).

Thanks.

Salesman says they are the same, but he's a salesman...

For 2019 CX-5, 2.5T has the same oil change interval as 2.5L. It uses Flexible OCI with oil life monitor, and it can be as long as 12 months or 7,500 miles whichever comes first, but most likely it'd be shorter depending on your driving situation. You change your oil when the "Oil change due" notification is displayed.

Oil filter is different between the two, and 2.5T uses 5W-30 full synthetic oil instead 0W-20 on 2.5L.

You change spark plugs at 40,000 miles on 2.5T but 75,000 miles on 2.5L. Of course the plugs are different too.

I think the same 12 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first.
2019-cx-5-scheduled-maintenance.pdf

Yrwei beat me to it.

Just received my order of 3 PY8W-14-302 filters w/washers from Avondale (through Amazon). Holy cripes! these things are tiny. At first I thought I ordered the wrong ones. Looks like they are for a garden tractor! No wonder my dealer wants to change the oil/filter every 6 months regardless of miles driven.

My last Mazda was a 2008 CX9 and the filter was much bigger. I haven't crawled under my new CX5 Sig yet so IDK how much room there is for a larger aftermarket filter. After I've used up my 3 OEM filters, I'll be looking for better alternatives.

Just received my order of 3 PY8W-14-302 filters w/washers from Avondale (through Amazon). Holy cripes! these things are tiny. At first I thought I ordered the wrong ones. Looks like they are for a garden tractor! No wonder my dealer wants to change the oil/filter every 6 months regardless of miles driven.

My last Mazda was a 2008 CX9 and the filter was much bigger. I haven't crawled under my new CX5 Sig yet so IDK how much room there is for a larger aftermarket filter. After I've used up my 3 OEM filters, I'll be looking for better alternatives.

A bigger filter won't clear the plastic underbody panel hiding that area. I wouldn't bother with a larger filter, other owners have had UOAs done and the OEM stuff seems to work perfectly fine.

They filter fine. Sm1ke is right, a bigger filter won't fit with the plastic underbody panel.

Can confirm, have had good UOA's up to 6600 miles (sending a sample of a 7500 oci soon). All have come back great using the Mazda OEM filters.

That looks like a good filter, a better one than the 1WPE-14-302 which lacks metal end caps. Do dealers now carry the PY8W-14-302 filter?

That looks like a good filter, a better one than the 1WPE-14-302 which lacks metal end caps. Do dealers now carry the PY8W-14-302 filter?

I think most dealers can bring the filters in, but they're usually a little bit more expensive. Best to order online if your dealer doesn't stock them. Seems a lot of people are ordering from mazdaparts.org or Avondale Mazda (through eBay, I think).

A bigger filter wont do anything for you, even if it did fit.

You already have the best alternative there is in your hands already. Use them and dont worry about a thing.

I have zero confidence in what an oil life monitor indicates. I prefer to err on the side of caution and change my oil at 5000 mile intervals. SouCal driving conditions can be pretty severe. Regarding filters, while the basic Fram orange can filters have a pretty mediocre reputation, their newer Ultra series filters are very, very good. If you limit your OCI's to 5000 miles and your engine is well broken in, (like past the 10,000 mile mark) you can change the filter every other time and save a little money and mess/hassle. The Ultra filter for the 2.5L Turbo is # XG6607.

The Mobil 1 filters are also top rated. The # 108 filter replaces the Mazda PY8W-14-302. The # 110 might fit. It is a bit taller. The Mobil 1 filters are not in sealed boxes and do not have plastic seals on the open end so on my next oil change I might buy the # 108 and # 110 and do a test fit to see if the # 110 will clear the underbody access panel before oiling the gasket and tightening it all the way down of course. If not I will return it. The oversize Fram Ultra is # XG7317. I haven't checked the dimensions to see how it compares to the Mobil 1 # 110 but I'll bet they are close.

I don't get it. An OEM filter is like $6 or $7. Look them up on BITOG. Very well built. Filters fine.

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket. A Wix 57002 if you have to. They were actually made for SkyActiv. But around here they cost more than an OEM Thailand made (not the Mexico made value line) filter.

Last edited:
I don't get it. An OEM filter is like $6 or $7. Look them up on BITOG. Very well built. Filters fine.

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket. A Wix 57002 if you have to. They were actually made for SkyActiv. But around here they cost more than an OEM Thailand made (not the Mexico made value line) filter.

Agreed, I only use OEM on my non turbo. They do lack metal end caps but they have a tough glue on the top and bottom that kind of acts as end caps, the oil can't go through the glue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPOSYA-I3g

The 3 filters I just received from Avondale (PY8W-14-302) say "Made In Japan" on the box and on the filter. Made by Tokyo Roki Co. LTD. They are more like $10-11 shipped if purchased single (includes the seal washer). Other places are cheaper but shipping is addl.
My concern was the tiny size of the filter - smaller than I've ever seen on a 250HP engine. Seems like it could clog easier.

The 3 filters I just received from Avondale (PY8W-14-302) say "Made In Japan" on the box and on the filter. Made by Tokyo Roki Co. LTD. They are more like $10-11 shipped if purchased single (includes the seal washer). Other places are cheaper but shipping is addl.
My concern was the tiny size of the filter - smaller than I've ever seen on a 250HP engine. Seems like it could clog easier.

My mistake. I was talking about the 2.5L non-turbo filters. I forgot to look at what you have.

Those Japan made filters are of excellent quality. There have really been no bad UOA's reported using Mazda OEM filters. I get where you are coming from, but I believe it's a bit unfounded in this case. The Mazda filters...especially the Tokyo Roki made ones have been found to be of excellent quality and work well. I would rather those than any aftermarket. Sadly us non-turbo folks can't get the Made in Japan filters anymore, but the Thailand made ones are still of fantastic quality.

They cut them open and did some tests on BITOG. The filters are legit good.

As for UOA's posted using Mazda filters, many go for long OCIs and still turn out just fine.

Last edited:
I have zero confidence in what an oil life monitor indicates. I prefer to err on the side of caution and change my oil at 5000 mile intervals. SouCal driving conditions can be pretty severe. Regarding filters, while the basic Fram orange can filters have a pretty mediocre reputation, their newer Ultra series filters are very, very good. If you limit your OCI's to 5000 miles and your engine is well broken in, (like past the 10,000 mile mark) you can change the filter every other time and save a little money and mess/hassle. The Ultra filter for the 2.5L Turbo is # XG6607.

The Mobil 1 filters are also top rated. The # 108 filter replaces the Mazda PY8W-14-302. The # 110 might fit. It is a bit taller. The Mobil 1 filters are not in sealed boxes and do not have plastic seals on the open end so on my next oil change I might buy the # 108 and # 110 and do a test fit to see if the # 110 will clear the underbody access panel before oiling the gasket and tightening it all the way down of course. If not I will return it. The oversize Fram Ultra is # XG7317. I haven't checked the dimensions to see how it compares to the Mobil 1 # 110 but I'll bet they are close.
Mazda designed its oil life monitor which calculates Flexible oil change interval based on your driving conditions. If your SoCal driving conditions are severe, the Flexible oil change interval will be adjusted shorter accordingly. Besides, you still can change your oil whenever you want, even if the mileage or percentage of Flexible oil change interval still shows some to go.

As for oil filter:

OEM:
Mazda2 1.5L - B6Y1-14-302A
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - PE01-14-302A / 1WPE-14-302 / PE01-14-302A-MV
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - PY8W-14-302

FRAM Ultra Synthetic:
Mazda2 1.5L - XG6607
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - XG6607
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - XG6607

Mobil 1 Extended Performance:
Mazda2 1.5L - M1-108 / M1-108A
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - M1-108 / M1-108A
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - M1-108 / M1-108A

Obviously both FRAM and Mobil 1 oil filters are one-size-fit-all while Mazda OEM oil filters have different specs for different engine requirements.

Here is an official document from Mazda North American Operations stated that don't mix OEM oil filter used on Mazda2, although it looks similar, with CX-5 SkyActiv-G engine althiough aftermarket filters usually use only one to fit all:

Just want to throw this in here, DO NOT use a non genuine Oil Filter in any Skyactiv Engine, diesel or gasoline.
These oil filters are specifically made and designed for Mazda by Tokyo Roki.
Non genuine oil filters do not have the correct by pass and flow rating.

Using the incorrect Oil Filter can also throw up DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes, 'CEL' light on dash)

See PDF from Mazda USA ( for SA-G)

Since the original pdf file is an attachment and has been missing for a while after our server update, I took a screen shot and post it here:

attachment.php

Multi-Model - SKYACTIV High Flow Oil Filter.jpg

Although bigger oil filter may make you feel like it can filter more, but the key is the area size of the filter element, and the quality of filter material. OEM oil filters, especially those made by Tokyo Roki (Japan) and Denso (Thailand), have been cut open many times and used for more miles and it has been proven they really have the best quality.

Have you ever seen an after-market oil filter which comes with greased O-ring type gasket and shrink wrapped seal on opening end preventing dust? This's the clear indication that the quality of OEM oil filter, except the Value Line MV filter, is the best!

In addition, OEM PY8W-14-302 oil filter for 2.5T is different and more expensive than OEM PE01-14-302A/B for 2.5L although both are made by Tokyo Roki. This indicates Mazda has designed a different oil filter for more powerful 2.5T. If you worried about small size of OEM filter used on 2.5T, you should really worry about those after-market oil filters which use one model to fit all different kind of Mazda engines!

That is interesting information about the PY8W-14-302 being specific to the 2.5L turbo engine. Since we don't know what the bypass and flow rating of the Mazda filter is vs. a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra for example it may be wise to stick to the OEM filter.

Having read many, many threads on the BITOG oil filter section over the years, getting those numbers from the manufacturers seems to be difficult. About the only thing they will divulge is how many microns will they filter down to.

Back