CX-5 Sales continue to set records

I already wrote about it but will write again. I have a very peculiar but amazing relationship with a dealership who sell Mazdas and in NE area.

There are 2 segments of customers who come to buy the car - i.e. Mazda 3 Hatchback or CX3.
1st: Small families who want car #2 - a small car to do errands, etc. They come for sedan @ Mazda 3. But once they see the hatchback - they go for it instead.
2nd: CUV - nimble, small is fine. They come in for CX-3. However, as here its pointed out: it's really small. So - they need to jump to CX-5.
Now in between there's a subtle but BIG difference. Mazda 3 Hatchback does NOT offer AWD. CX-3 does. At the end what is seen is from the 1st. segment who came to buy a sedan - went to hatchback and then jumped to CX-3 as it's AWD and in north-east its heavily promoted. Once they have settled on AWD and its so-called "merits" they either buy the CX-3 or jump even higher to CX-5 or drop completely on Mazda 3 sedan avoiding both the hatchback and CX-3.
As you'll see: CX-3 is biggest looser here. Mazda 3 hatchback actually does sell but not CX-3.

Also singles who prefer the extra ride height but don't need the extra size - hence they purchase CX-3

I already wrote about it but will write again. I have a very peculiar but amazing relationship with a dealership who sell Mazdas and in NE area.

There are 2 segments of customers who come to buy the car - i.e. Mazda 3 Hatchback or CX3.
1st: Small families who want car #2 - a small car to do errands, etc. They come for sedan @ Mazda 3. But once they see the hatchback - they go for it instead.
2nd: CUV - nimble, small is fine. They come in for CX-3. However, as here its pointed out: it's really small. So - they need to jump to CX-5.
Now in between there's a subtle but BIG difference. Mazda 3 Hatchback does NOT offer AWD. CX-3 does. At the end what is seen is from the 1st. segment who came to buy a sedan - went to hatchback and then jumped to CX-3 as it's AWD and in north-east its heavily promoted. Once they have settled on AWD and its so-called "merits" they either buy the CX-3 or jump even higher to CX-5 or drop completely on Mazda 3 sedan avoiding both the hatchback and CX-3.
As you'll see: CX-3 is biggest looser here. Mazda 3 hatchback actually does sell but not CX-3.

I think you are right. The CX-3 gets squeezed and honestly, the price difference between the CX-5 and CX-3 is not that great.

Also, what dealer in Jersey do you work with?

Won't happen. Remember USA is not the one and only market. Other markets like Japan have taxes based on car sizes etc. Hence a reason the CX-9 is not sold there

You are right and I forgot about China. While Mazda 3 sales are tanking in the USA, they are climbing in China (~140K units last year).

Spot on. The CX-3 is for somebody who rarely carries more than one passenger, mostly single people I'm guessing. I live in the North East and AWD is very popular, but definitely more so among suburban couples. That means that most of the people who are in the market for an AWD crossover are looking for more space than the CX-3 offers. Younger singles don't seem to rank AWD as high on their list of priorities, and aren't as caught up in the CUV craze.

Spot on. The CX-3 is for somebody who rarely carries more than one passenger, mostly single people I'm guessing. I live in the North East and AWD is very popular, but definitely more so among suburban couples. That means that most of the people who are in the market for an AWD crossover are looking for more space than the CX-3 offers. Younger singles don't seem to rank AWD as high on their list of priorities, and aren't as caught up in the CUV craze.

I guess I see the CX-3 and ask "what's the point"?

I'll buck that trend and be the odd man out as I bought my CX-5 at 22 simply because it had AWD, higher off the ground, has room should I ever need it (needed it twice), and was engaging to drive.

I still blame Mazda. It's not the class. Crosstrek sells well here. Hmmm... I see Crosstrek commercials. I see Crosstrek featured prominently on Subaru's homepage. The 2018 Crosstrek was released, and I saw a random auto news article about it.
I've seen HRV commercials, although those are about as rare around me as CX-3s.
But Mazda...come on. Go to Mazdausa, what do you see? CX-5, CX-9, 6, Miata...
This car couldn't be advertised more poorly...

^True about lack of CX-3 marketing (hey I can't blame Mazda for playing the hits) but those others do well for 2 important reasons imo. #1 they're significantly more useful (space wise) and 2 they're priced more attractively esp. when topped out vs. their showroom trade ups.

When we bought our CX5, the salesman said that they were 60-70% of total sales. So in the US the CX5 is the breadwinner. I wonder what the percentages are elsewhere?

When we bought our CX5, the salesman said that they were 60-70% of total sales. So in the US the CX5 is the breadwinner. I wonder what the percentages are elsewhere?
Look at the Aussie sales figures I posted earlier for an idea :)

Wow. 6 had a bad January. Probably should have waited to announce that new one. If I wanted a 6 I'd be waiting for that new one.

Looks like the new-gen CX-5 is gaining popularity in the US. Good stuff!

That car is selling really well and most people are buying the loaded GT. The Mazda 3 and 6 are really hurting in the USA but the 3 sells well in China.

Mazda says the GT sells best, but in Mazda heavy Ohio I swear I see 5 Tourings (or Sport) for every 1 GT.

Back