CX-5 Sales continue to set records

Well, it looks like Mazda SUV and cross overs had a great January:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mazda-reports-best-january-sales-since-1994-300591990.html

Sales of the Mazda 3 ad 6 continue the march to zero.
US sales of Gen-2 CX-5 is getting better in December 2017 and January 2018. But we shouldn’t ignore a fact that it’s also because the whole compact CUV segment in the US keeps growing at a much faster pace. In 2017, Mazda sold a record 127,563 CX-5’s in the US; but Toyota sold a record 407,594 RAV4’s、Nissan sold a record 403,465 Rogues、Honda sold a record 377,895 CR-V’s; even Subaru sold 177,563 Foresters. And 13,463 CX-5’s sold in January still is 4.5% drop from previous month which is 14,097, although December usually is the best-selling month in a year. Nevertheless it’s a good news for Mazda North American Operations on CX-5 sales.

US sales of Gen-2 CX-5 is getting better in December 2017 and January 2018. But we shouldn’t ignore a fact that it’s also because the whole compact CUV segment in the US keeps growing at a much faster pace. In 2017, Mazda sold a record 127,563 CX-5’s in the US; but Toyota sold a record 407,594 RAV4’s、Nissan sold a record 403,465 Rogues、Honda sold a record 377,895 CR-V’s; even Subaru sold 177,563 Foresters. And 13,463 CX-5’s sold in January still is 4.5% drop from previous month which is 14,097, although December usually is the best-selling month in a year. Nevertheless it’s a good news for Mazda North American Operations on CX-5 sales.

35% of Nissans Jan sales were Fleet/rental; 14% were Fleet / Rental for Toyota; majority of these were to rental car companies. Beyond Harrisburg, PA I am yet to see many rental Mazda's. I have seen few in Columbus but none in most other airports. Mazda has a small fleet program with fewer discounts.

It was Mazda's best month since 1994. Since 1994. That is 1994. 24 years ago. 1994. And sales are up in China as well for most all models. This is good news. No need to be so negative.

It was Mazda's best month since 1994. Since 1994. That is 1994. 24 years ago. 1994. And sales are up in China as well for most all models. This is good news. No need to be so negative.

Its pronounced "JAENA" my friend.

I’m sure Mazda looks at these numbers especially for North America and realizes that being dependent on the CX5 Sales is risky business. The upcoming CX-X May be their answer.

CPO sales are staying strong with increases just about every month for some time now. That's good for resale value going up.

Well, it looks like Mazda SUV and cross overs had a great January:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mazda-reports-best-january-sales-since-1994-300591990.html

Sales of the Mazda 3 ad 6 continue the march to zero.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/02/02/u-s-auto-sales-up-1-in-january-but-full-year-drop-expected/

I chuckled a little and did a little happy dance when I read this: "Honda Motor Co. said sales were down 1.7 percent to 104,542. Truck and SUV sales fell 2.5 percent while cars were off just under 1 percent. The CR-V small SUV, in the hottest part of the market, saw a 16.9 percent sales drop." :D

Ha. Kind of love that. Not that I hate the CRV or Honda (don't like, just don't hate) I like underdogs. I rarely like the favorite.
(Let's go Eagles!)
So when the big guys start to fall.... [emoji6]

Mazda says the GT sells best, but in Mazda heavy Ohio I swear I see 5 Tourings (or Sport) for every 1 GT.

How do you determine the model from the exterior? Emblem transparency?

How do you determine the model from the exterior? Emblem transparency?
Rims. LED headlights / tails pre 17. Mostly Rims. That's why I said Sport / Touring because I can't tell those apart.
I doubt many buy a Touring and add GT rims.

Last edited:
Rims. LED headlights / tails pre 17. Mostly Rims. That's why I said Sport / Touring because I can't tell those apart.
I doubt many buy a Touring and add GT rims.

Over here base model Maxx has steel rims. Maxx Sport and Touring have alloys and exterior is identical except Touring has button on door handles for keyless entry.

Ha. Kind of love that. Not that I hate the CRV or Honda (don't like, just don't hate) I like underdogs. I rarely like the favorite.
(Let's go Eagles!)
So when the big guys start to fall.... [emoji6]

When greats fall, they still land beyond the comprehension of the common man.

And so it is with crv vs cx5 sales volume.

I said I was pleased the CRV had a bad month. Not that it's the end of Honda. By big Guy I meant the CRV, not Honda.

You want data interpretation? How about this means nothing. Honda probably had a really great month last January because the CRV was in a fresh redesign. This is probably just normalized sales.
Better? [emoji39]

Honda Accord sales is in bad shape compared to Camry. Most on ToV think it's the lack of incentives. Might be the same with CR-V.

It would be interesting to see if Mazda can keep up with demand as it continues to rise.

Back