CX-5 Roof Rails/Rack

I put my Yakima SkyBox 16 on top after getting my bars installed, but then never got the chance to use it. It fits really well, looks good, doesn't touch the antenna on the tail of the CX-5 and offers a LOT more room to store things. Especially light stuff like pillos, sleeping backs, tents, etc. That frees up space in the trunk for heavy stuff and allows me to go on trips with a load of gear and still enjoy the ride.

On the highway how much of a MPG hit do you take with the box?

Well just bought a new 10ft aluminum extension latter today from Home Depot and used the roof racks to get it home. Worked flawlessly as I was able to drive at posted speed limits without any fear.

On the highway how much of a MPG hit do you take with the box?

Can't tell you yet.. Last year I bought the crossbars late in the season and expected to go camping a lot but didn't make it out. The only thing that concerns me is how the skybox angles up a bit due to the slope of the CX-5 roof towards the back. So it may act like more of a wing and cause drag compared to being mounted perfectly level. If it's a problem, I'll try putting some spacers between the bar and the skybox to raise the back up an inch or so.

I can tell you that living in the mountains and having to drive up a thousand feet or so every day kills gas mileage. Right now I only get about 22MPG consistently, which is awful..but it's nice up here. I'll report the skybox MPG after a long flat trip with it. See my sig for MPG information fuelly.

When I bought my CX-5 in 2013, I had my dealer install the side-rails because I didn't want to do that. In 2015, preparing for camping season, I installed the Mazda cross-bars myself.

I'm really thrilled that I have never noticed any wind noise associated with them. When I added Yakima crossbars to my little Honda Fit, there was very noticable noise on the highway. Those rails were higher and less aerodynamically shaped, so this is an apples to oranges production comparison but the end result is my Mazda has rails and I don't see any downside to it.

Out here in Colorado a large number of vehicles, probably 35-40% have rails and crossbars. There are many Subarus out here, including Crosstreks and Outbacks which have rails by default, so a CX-5 with rails/bars fits in very well.

I put my Yakima SkyBox 16 on top after getting my bars installed, but then never got the chance to use it. It fits really well, looks good, doesn't touch the antenna on the tail of the CX-5 and offers a LOT more room to store things. Especially light stuff like pillos, sleeping backs, tents, etc. That frees up space in the trunk for heavy stuff and allows me to go on trips with a load of gear and still enjoy the ride.

https://www.yakima.com/skybox-16-carbonite

Thanks for the info, Max.

How difficult was it to install the crossbars? I have the oem rails and purchased the oem crossbars but have yet to install them.

When I bought my CX-5 in 2013, I had my dealer install the side-rails because I didn't want to do that. In 2015, preparing for camping season, I installed the Mazda cross-bars myself.

I'm really thrilled that I have never noticed any wind noise associated with them. When I added Yakima crossbars to my little Honda Fit, there was very noticable noise on the highway. Those rails were higher and less aerodynamically shaped, so this is an apples to oranges production comparison but the end result is my Mazda has rails and I don't see any downside to it.

Out here in Colorado a large number of vehicles, probably 35-40% have rails and crossbars. There are many Subarus out here, including Crosstreks and Outbacks which have rails by default, so a CX-5 with rails/bars fits in very well.

skybox-on-cx5-side.jpg

skybox-cx5-antenna.jpg

skybox-on-cx5-side.jpg

skybox-cx5-antenna.jpg
Hey @maxwax, were you able to open the hatch properly? I have a 2013 CX5 and am considering getting this Skybox 16. Please let me know. Thanks!

Hey @maxwax, were you able to open the hatch properly? I have a 2013 CX5 and am considering getting this Skybox 16. Please let me know. Thanks!
Sorry for the very late reply.

I sold my Skybox in 2020 and I have no photos to proove that the CX-5 hatch opens with the Skybox attached.

I *think* it does.. IF you adjust the skybox to be far forward. The Skybox's internal clamps allow some adjustment that might have been just enough to allow the hatch enough space to open.

I just shared with someone who PM'd me that I remember having the Skybox on one day, driving on the highway and forgetting that it was there: It wasn't noisy, it hadn't killed my MPG, and so I just kept it on for a while. I love using my trunk so my guess is that if it was easy to keep on and I could still use my trunk, that's part of the source of my memory of just leaving it there at times.

I'm not 100% confident of that, but I hope that helps.

Sorry for the very late reply.

I sold my Skybox in 2020 and I have no photos to proove that the CX-5 hatch opens with the Skybox attached.

I *think* it does.. IF you adjust the skybox to be far forward. The Skybox's internal clamps allow some adjustment that might have been just enough to allow the hatch enough space to open.

I just shared with someone who PM'd me that I remember having the Skybox on one day, driving on the highway and forgetting that it was there: It wasn't noisy, it hadn't killed my MPG, and so I just kept it on for a while. I love using my trunk so my guess is that if it was easy to keep on and I could still use my trunk, that's part of the source of my memory of just leaving it there at times.

I'm not 100% confident of that, but I hope that helps.
Hi Max thanks for the reply. Yes I bought a skybox and it fit on my CX5. Cheers

IMG_0532.jpeg

I went with black aftermarket rails. I keep the rails on all the time, but only have the basket and cross bars on when needed. I did notice increased wind noise with the crossbars as well as impact to my MPG. Rear rail only didn't seem to impact MPG or add any noise, tho.

View attachment 304528

I went with black aftermarket rails. I keep the rails on all the time, but only have the basket and cross bars on when needed. I did notice increased wind noise with the crossbars as well as impact to my MPG. Rear rail only didn't seem to impact MPG or add any noise, tho.
Sweet. Looks great.

Was back and forth over leaving chrome window trim & front grill & getting chrome rails to match. Or doing the black rails also and chrome delete on chrome front grill. This will have to wait until spring but definitely after seeing yours, think this will work best on the machine gray. Thanks for posting.

Back