CX-5 Presales question

Hi,
Considering a CX5, saw a video by a master mechanic reviewing the current CX5. He went over everything in specific detail. He had very good comments about Mazda and the CX5. As he was showing the front suspension and explaining the designs and parts, he said it had not fixed the hop. Later on, he mentioned that in some situations the car hops and at night, you can even see the lights going up and down when it happens. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this hop with their CX5.

I have no idea what he is talking about. Hopping? Mine doesn’t “hop”.

He's describing the general characteristics of a shorter wheelbase car. No different than saying car understeers because it's fwd biased.

Take reviews for a grain of salt and test drive for yourself

Hi,
Considering a CX5, saw a video by a master mechanic reviewing the current CX5. He went over everything in specific detail. He had very good comments about Mazda and the CX5. As he was showing the front suspension and explaining the designs and parts, he said it had not fixed the hop. Later on, he mentioned that in some situations the car hops and at night, you can even see the lights going up and down when it happens. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this hop with their CX5.

No hop! As with most (all?) Mazda's, the suspension is stiffer and designed to pass road texture and feel to the driver. You will feel road irregularities. I describe the feeling as a jiggle. I didn't notice until my lady friend commented. Koni Special Actives removed it. She noticed that.

The CX-5 is the most fun driving, athletic mid-sized SUV and the ride is part of feeling like it's almost a MX-5.

The CX-5 is the most fun driving, athletic mid-sized SUV and the ride is part of feeling like it's almost a MX-5.

Well, I ain't going that far. Thr CX-5 rides fine, but it ain't no Miata. Very few cars are. Hell, even Mustangs and Camaros pale in comparison. I'd even put a Miata above a BMW M3 as a pure sports car. Yeah, I said it.

As he was showing the front suspension and explaining the designs and parts, he said it had not fixed the hop. Later on, he mentioned that in some situations the car hops and at night, you can even see the lights going up and down when it happens. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this hop with their CX5.

Never heard of an issue with "hop" for the CX-5, nor experienced it.

Of course, as suggested earlier, a car with a shorter wheelbase will generally dip a bit more fore-and-aft whenever going over road imperfections, as compared to a car with a longer wheelbase. I purchased my CX-5 a couple years back knowing it wouldn't feel quite so, um, "plush" along those lines as compared to many other similar vehicles:

Wheelbase:
Bentley Bentayga LWB -- 125.0"
Audi Q7 (2017) -- 117.9"
Bentley Bentayga (2022) -- 117.9"
BMW X5 (2018) -- 115.5"
Mazda CX-9 (2021) -- 115.3"
Jeep Grand Cherokee (2021) -- 114.7"
Jaguar F-Pace (2021) -- 113.2"
Audi Q5 (2017) -- 110.5"
Kia Sportage (2023) -- 108.5"
Hyundai Tucson (2022) -- 108.5"
Subaru Legacy (2023) -- 108.3"
Mazda CX-5 (2021) -- 106.2"
Toyota RAV4 (2021) -- 105.9"
Subaru Forester (2022) -- 105.1"
Jeep Compass (2017) -- 103.7"
Volkswagen Tiguan (2016) -- 102.5"
Buick Encore (2021) -- 100.6"

In test-driving other competing vehicles when shopping for my CX-5, I test drove most of the cars on that list above.

In particular, I noticed the "short wheelbase" behaviors while doing test-drives on various of the smaller vehicles: most often with the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4 and the (2016 vintage) VW Tiguan. I'd place the CX-5 into the same essential "shorter car" category, with respect to road manners (fore-and-aft). Which is one of the major selling points of the longer-wheelbase cars. Can't say whether the specific behavior described by others (or reviews) equates to the same occasional thing, but longer-wheelbase cars do tend to smooth out such stuff.

Back in the 1980s I had a Subaru wagon, and it came with a 4WD (Hi/Lo) selector lever. When in 4WD Lo, it would occasionally "hop" while cornering more tightly than the car would smoothly allow. But then, these newfangled AT AWD systems have "smart" features built-in to not exhibit such things, instead adjusting control over a given corner in order to maximize grip ... avoiding, among other things, actual wheel hop during cornering. None of the cars I test-drove (nor the others on that list above) exhibited any such thing.

Haven't experienced any other sort of "hop" type behavior, in the CX-5.

If concerned about this sort of thing, definitely take a test-drive in similar-vintage Mazda CX-9 and CX-5 cars. A direct comparison of road manners will show things no video or written review ever will.

No hop! As with most (all?) Mazda's, the suspension is stiffer and designed to pass road texture and feel to the driver. You will feel road irregularities. I describe the feeling as a jiggle. I didn't notice until my lady friend commented. Koni Special Actives removed it. She noticed that.

Have you driven an MX-5? There's no 'almost' at all.

I've owned our CX-5 since 2016 and while it's fun to drive (I have fun driving nearly anything) I wouldn't describe it as 'athletic'.

The MX on the other hand is nimble and athletic. Not a lot of power but that's not what the MX is about. At 2,300lbs, it's power enough to have a LOT of fun.

Back